Student Arrests Plunge in RCSD

Feb 11, 2013 Full story: 13WHAM 14

Rochester, N.Y. - Evion Smith has been arrested too many times to count. Some of those arrests happened while he was in school.

Full Story

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#3 Feb 12, 2013
Don’t Call the Cops?

The dramatic drop in arrests raises questions about safety and accurate reporting of crime data. 13WHAM News heard from several teachers who say they are not satisfied with how schools handle violent incidents. All are worried about retaliation from their principals and did not want to go on camera.

One teacher said he was disciplined for telling police when a student punched him in the face. This teacher, who has worked at several high schools, said administrators have encouraged teachers not to report incidents to police.

“They’ll try anything to convince you to not file a police report,” the teacher said.“The different reasons I’ve been given is it will reflect badly on schools. It will reflect badly on us as teachers. I just don’t think they want the school to be seen in any bad light whatsoever and they just kind of brush things under the rug.”

Hmmm

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#4 Feb 12, 2013
Of course the district is "threatening" teachers to not call the cops. Otherwise, the home-owning, tax paying residents of the city would flee. Most of those parents send their kids to Harley or some other private school. The kids are running the RCSD. Have been for years...well...those few who attend anyway.

“Reality is settling in...”

Since: Nov 08

Stop sweating the small stuff.

#6 Feb 12, 2013
Mental health issues must not be addressed through the criminal justice system....bottom line!

Many caring responsible adults have no choice but to send their child to RCSD- unfortunately.

S/N: Stop stereotyping and generalizing....it ONLY ADDS to ignorance.

Location hidden

#7 Feb 12, 2013
CapriceClassic wrote:
Mental health issues must not be addressed through the criminal justice system....bottom line!
Many caring responsible adults have no choice but to send their child to RCSD- unfortunately.
S/N: Stop stereotyping and generalizing....it ONLY ADDS to ignorance.
CC, so every punk kid who steals from others at school, gets in fights and is outright disrespectful has a mental health issue? These punks (and I am referring to punks of ALL COLORS) need to learn it only leads them down a path of self-destruction. Maybe that "Pathways to Peace" thing should be expanded so that these kids can learn that there are alternatives that can lead to productive, successful, peaceful futures.

“Reality is settling in...”

Since: Nov 08

Stop sweating the small stuff.

#8 Feb 12, 2013
Steel City Steelers wrote:
<quoted text>CC, so every punk kid who steals from others at school, gets in fights and is outright disrespectful has a mental health issue? These punks (and I am referring to punks of ALL COLORS) need to learn it only leads them down a path of self-destruction. Maybe that "Pathways to Peace" thing should be expanded so that these kids can learn that there are alternatives that can lead to productive, successful, peaceful futures.
U GET ON MY NERVES..........
*STFU!!!!!!!!!!

..........Please!!!!!!
rePIGpublican

Rochester, NY

#10 Feb 12, 2013
CapriceClassic wrote:
<quoted text>
*STFU!!!!!!!!!!
..........Please!!!!!!
She's such a hypcrite. And she has the nerve to call other on here one. I distincly remember her saying that thugs were in the city and of a certain color because of the violence. Then she uploaded a photo of blacks in the St. Paul quarter. If thugs come in all colors, why pay attention to only one demographic like she repeatly does on here when the east end area is just as bad. the cops protect the people that live in the East End. Steel City puts her foot in her mouth every time she opens it!
rePIGpublican

Rochester, NY

#11 Feb 12, 2013
Of course the district is "threatening" teachers to not call the cops. Otherwise, the home-owning, tax paying residents of the city would flee. Most of those parents send their kids to Harley or some other private school. The kids are running the RCSD. Have been for years...well...those few who attend anyway.
I advise you to attend all city schools and see what's going on. Stop being mislead by these stats you read. You probably never attended the city schools and I know your kids don't go there. So why are you commenting? So you can say, "I told you so" when in essence, you're wrong.

Location hidden

#12 Feb 12, 2013
"Evion Smith has been arrested too many times to count. Some of those arrests happened while he was in school. He was arrested for fighting and for simply “mouthing off.”

“I didn’t want to go to jail,” said Smith.“It’s crazy being in a cell. You don’t know what time it is. You don’t know what’s going on outside, nothing.”

Smith dropped out in 10th grade. He doesn’t like police officers."

Sounds like a lot of learned behavior to me.

Location hidden

#13 Feb 12, 2013
"Smith has been arrested too many times to count."

To many times to count OR he just can't count that high?

Location hidden

#14 Feb 12, 2013
What's the matter, Classless? Did I hit a nerve? Don't like what I said? Tough crap. Facts are facts. Can't dispute facts. The teachers and the kids themselves are saying it's out of control. Don't like it? Too damn bad. Truth hurts, doesn't it?

And...Piglet...this quote from you, " I distincly remember her saying that thugs were in the city and of a certain color because of the violence." is an outright LIE! Nice try though.

Location hidden

#15 Feb 12, 2013
Two for the price of one

Steel City Steelers SPANKS Classless and piglet in the same post.

You go girl!!!

Location hidden

#18 Feb 12, 2013
Rhonda wrote:
White teachers will always be scared of black kids. Maybe they should hire more black teachers?
I'll tell ya what, Crotchety. Go to college for education. Pass your state certification exams. Then get a Master's Degree to become permenantly certified...then YOU teach these wonderful children. K? You can have summers off to recuperate for the next year of the same crap.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#19 Feb 12, 2013
<quoted text>
I'll tell ya what, Crotchety. Go to college for education. Pass your state certification exams. Then get a Master's Degree to become permenantly certified...then YOU teach these wonderful children. K? You can have summers off to recuperate for the next year of the same crap.
Now why would he/she do that when it is so easy to live off of the system?

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#20 Feb 13, 2013
CapriceClassic wrote:
<quoted text>
*STFU!!!!!!!!!!
..........Please!!!!!!
OUCH!!! What is the matter CC,truth hurts? Looks like SCS hit a nerve and the only thing you can come back with is for SCS to stfu? That is typical for you and your "crew",isn't it? Just pointing out the facts gets your kind all upset,well too darn bad.Wake up and do something about changing the way of these kids act/think.. Just saying.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
RG&E complaints (Feb '08) 17 min Chokoune liou 162
White bar Severving under age drinkers 41 min Nathan Bedford Fo... 9
Cullerd man stab Brockport College student at dorm 1 hr David Duke 13
White Drunk Drives into Home Injures Baby 1 hr Betty 4
Olympic Champion Michael Phelps Arrested for DWI 1 hr Betty 3
Short Fat White Lady with Wig is Running the Se... 1 hr DitulliosMojo 1
Chief James Sheppard Got Punched In His Fat Gut 1 hr DitulliosMojo 6

Rochester Jobs

Rochester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE