EMTs suspended after refusing to help...

EMTs suspended after refusing to help collapsed pregnant woman

There are 124 comments on the WHEC-TV Rochester, NY story from Dec 21, 2009, titled EMTs suspended after refusing to help collapsed pregnant woman. In it, WHEC-TV Rochester, NY reports that:

Two emergency medical technicians accused of refusing to help a pregnant woman who collapsed in the coffee shop where they were taking a break were suspended Monday, and Mayor Michael Bloomberg called their behavior inexcusable.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHEC-TV Rochester, NY.

OWSH

Brooklyn, NY

#22 Dec 22, 2009
wordygurdy wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the EMTs were on drugs. What a buzz-kill to have your waitress drop dead in front of you.
It’s possible the EMT’s had a bad case of the munchies after smoking. Anyone dropping dead in Brooklyn isn’t going to kill anyone else’s buzz.
OWSH

Brooklyn, NY

#23 Dec 22, 2009
Angelo C wrote:
<quoted text>
No! No matter what a life is a life
Obviously not in this case.
Oh really

Yonkers, NY

#24 Dec 22, 2009
The decision to suspend the two EMT's without pay was the right decision.
What they did was inexcusable, they should be fired for dereliction of duty.
If anyone thinks the young lady died because of a drug overdose, then you are as stupid as your words and delusional as nut in a psyche ward.
What they did was just plain wrong and goes to show the type of people you get when standards are lowered for these jobs.
You take an oath and have the lives of others in your hands when you're on duty, coffe break or not this was a human being who did not deserve the treatment she got.

“My POV”

Since: Feb 08

Rochester area

#25 Dec 22, 2009
You put on that uniform, it's a whole new ball game, your obligation becomes greater than the average guy on the street. You really don't have the choice to walk away without legal ramifications. Suspend without pay? Only the first step, they will be in court.
Emele

United States

#26 Dec 22, 2009
These two should be charged with something since they were right there and could have avoided not one but two deaths. It really makes you wonder if you are in some serious trouble how willing these sort of people who are to hold the utmost professionalism in their jobs really do what they are to do. Fire and charge them.
Just Disgusted

Buffalo, NY

#27 Dec 22, 2009
Leroy Jones wrote:
If she was white, they wouldn't have just left her to die.
The female EMT was black??? And didn't help??!!?!?!?! OUTRAGEOUS BEHAVIOR!!!!
False

Rochester, NY

#28 Dec 22, 2009
Ernest Hemingway wrote:
<quoted text>If they had helped her, Their coffee would have gotten cold! And she more than likely still would have died! I'm going to have to side with the EMT"S on this one
I don't buy it. You're trying to be funny, and failing.
Salad

Falls Church, VA

#29 Dec 22, 2009
Anyone know if this is a Union gig?

Since: Nov 08

Provo, UT

#30 Dec 22, 2009
Perhaps they acted stupidly.
JohhnyLawman

Bronx, NY

#31 Dec 22, 2009
Leroy Jones wrote:
That's a racist comment. FYI: The EMT's were MINORITIES themselves. Should I throw in a racist comment about them being dumb lazy civil servants......hmmm?
Bronto At Work

Spring Grove, PA

#32 Dec 22, 2009
Leroy Jones wrote:
Here we go. A post from a proud member of the blame whitey for everything crowd!!!

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#33 Dec 22, 2009
Leroy Jones wrote:
EMT's should have no bias against anyone or they are in the wrong profession if they think they are only going to help a certain group of people.

As for the acusations of this woman using drugs,this is not for them to determine even if she was over dosing their job is to help regardless.

They can take their hot coffee and put it in a bottle and squirt it up their a$$.
neo-lib

Rochester, NY

#34 Dec 22, 2009
clifford clark wrote:
<quoted text> Exuse me miss, but, am I reading this right when you said that you prefer a snack over a human life and if so I suggest you seek help.
Pretty sure that was a joke
Merry

Hicksville, NY

#35 Dec 22, 2009
IMO the EMTs deserve the benefit of the doubt, considering the work they do on a daily basis.

Sorry Mayor Mike, you too are human and dropped the ball. You took as gospel some golddiggers report instead of giving the EMTs the courtesy and respect of getting their side of the story before condemning them.

I understand there is constant pressure from ruthless golddiggers, but you are not alone. This is our city, our state, and our country as well.
Confused Private Citizen

Spencerport, NY

#36 Dec 22, 2009
JohhnyLawman wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a racist comment. FYI: The EMT's were MINORITIES themselves. Should I throw in a racist comment about them being dumb lazy civil servants......hmmm?
Rodney Scott (black) shoots and kills a young, unarmed boy (white), 17, to death on his neighbor's driveway because he was supposedly breaking into cars and gets off as "not guilty". Reverend Joy whats her name, black woman, is charged in a 17 yr old murder (white man), is already serving time for assault, and between this murder and assault was leading marches for eradication of violence.

If racisim had been involved here, she would have gotten top notch, quicker service!
Merry

Hicksville, NY

#37 Dec 22, 2009
Beth Page wrote:
<quoted text>
EMT's should have no bias against anyone or they are in the wrong profession if they think they are only going to help a certain group of people.
As for the acusations of this woman using drugs,this is not for them to determine even if she was over dosing their job is to help regardless.
They can take their hot coffee and put it in a bottle and squirt it up their a$$.
They wouldn't be the first health professionals to be in the wrong profession. There are doctors who find disease disgusting, psychiatrists who don't want to hear sad stories, and nurses who are just in it to earn a living.

It just amazes me how people can instantly turn on people who day in and day out knock themselves out coming to the assistance of people in trouble, though.
Everybody Else

Mastic, NY

#38 Dec 22, 2009
And what was everybody else doing? Watching? Let us arrest them too.

EMT is a made up job anyway.You take like one evening class and your an EMT.
Diane M Keeley

United States

#39 Dec 22, 2009
OWSH wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you feel differently if you learned she was doing drugs at the time?
So now EMT's are supposed to decide whether someone is
on drugs before they help them?
I think not!!!
Suspicious Minds

United States

#40 Dec 22, 2009
I'm shocked but not surprised. Those EMT workers should be charged with something and lose there jobs and black listed from working any other humanity type service jobs.
Merry

Hicksville, NY

#41 Dec 22, 2009
Confused Private Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Rodney Scott (black) shoots and kills a young, unarmed boy (white), 17, to death on his neighbor's driveway because he was supposedly breaking into cars and gets off as "not guilty". Reverend Joy whats her name, black woman, is charged in a 17 yr old murder (white man), is already serving time for assault, and between this murder and assault was leading marches for eradication of violence.
If racisim had been involved here, she would have gotten top notch, quicker service!
Yeah, I too am wondering when John White of Miller Place and his son Aaron his Accessory will receive the justice they deserve for shooting an unarmed 17 year old in his white, blue eyed face.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wease picks his fights (Jul '15) 11 hr Slammed 632
Why Are Liberal Democrats Getting So Nervous Ab... 14 hr HA ha 54
Make America Strong and Safe Again! 17 hr Ah aH 66
Greece cops arrest lady for taking video of an ... Mon HA HA 11
Agitators Sun Ha Ha 62
rochester christian church ministries is a cult... (Oct '07) Sun just joe 97
Major Assult Weapons Bust in Henrietta Sun Bruce TransJenner 19
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rochester Mortgages