Is Windows Eight As Bad As I hear?

Is Windows Eight As Bad As I hear?

Posted in the Rochester Forum

Windows Is Better

Fairport, NY

#2 Dec 2, 2013
Larry wrote:
My PC is on it's last legs. I hear windows 8 is vey difficult and frustrating to learn and use. Any thoughts?
Windows 8 was tedious, Windows 8.1 fixed a lot of issues. I now like Win 8.1 better than Win 7 Pro. I'm using it on a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Touch. The touchscreen works great under 8.1. Go for it.
If you're upgrading from Windows 98, you'll see a lot of difference.
Country Boy

Batavia, NY

#3 Dec 2, 2013
Just got done building a Windows 8 machine. Immediately updated to 8.1. There a tricks to make it boot to the desktop and look like a traditional Windows machine if you don't have a touch screen. I am just learning the ins and outs of the OS. It has a lot of neat things.
Country Boy

Batavia, NY

#5 Dec 2, 2013
Larry wrote:
I was looking at two HP laptops at walmart. One for $278.00 and one for $298.00 They both say windows 8 do I have to upgrade to a 8.1 would I have to go to a computer shop?
No, you don't have to upgrade to 8.1, which is a free download from the MS store. Beware as this is a huge download; 3.5GB. It took me 6 hours on RR. This was developed to satisfy the huge demand from the more traditional desktop windows population. If you are going to use the touch screen (Metro interface) you probably don't need it.
Bill

Columbus, OH

#6 Dec 2, 2013
First off, it's Windows 8, nor eight.

Windows 8.1 rocks. I also like it better than Win 7. I can't say that with 8, because it was cumbersome for many things. 8.1 has brought some big improvements, and ton of bug fixes and better security. I would recommend it.

It will not work well (fast) on an underpowered or really inexpensive PC, so try before you buy.
Ha Ha

Iraq

#7 Dec 4, 2013
Microsoft CLAIMS that the GUI is designed to be user friendly.

They must have the people who wrote the health care law in mind as their target users.
Country Boy

Batavia, NY

#8 Dec 5, 2013
The Chinese want MS to continue security support for XP. 70% of the computers in China run pirated copies of XP. None of them would pass the Validation Test so why worry about security down loads?
Country Boy

Batavia, NY

#10 Dec 5, 2013
zeldo wrote:
hey cun tree boy whozz havent heard from you lately whozz azz did yu fall out ov
Up yours...you crazy SOB

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trumps Appoval Rating Now 10% 1 hr pretend helicopte... 8
Sheriff Patrick O'Flynn calls Todd Baxter "Naive" 7 hr Bovenzi13 6
Police boycott of Dunkin Doughnuts is fully on. 7 hr Bovenzi13 9
Why we couldn't convict Paul Tucci 8 hr HelmingIsCuomosPu... 2
John McCains brain tumor caused him to vote wit... 8 hr HelmingIsCuomosPu... 9
We're lucky Trump is President and not Obama 8 hr HelmingIsCuomosPu... 30
Breitbart Goes After McMaster 9 hr Bruce popper 7

Rochester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance