School District Rejects Urban Suburba...

School District Rejects Urban Suburban Program

Posted in the Rochester Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
I love greecechester

United States

#1 Feb 2, 2011
http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/2...

Greece Central should follow suit, now!
I love greecechester

United States

#2 Feb 2, 2011
From the D&C-The Churchville-Chili Central School District has decided not to implement an Urban-Suburban Transfer Program, which would have allowed minority city students to attend school in the district, spokeswoman Amanda Wood said Tuesday.

After 11 presentations and the completion of a district-wide survey on the program, feedback was compiled and shared with the Board of Education last month. Wood said there were varied opinions on the proposal and responses led the district to conclude that participation in the program did not match the district's core beliefs.

The board and superintendent have decided to instead increase dialogue on the topic and pursue other opportunities to expand diversity in the district.
Urban Suburban

United States

#3 Feb 2, 2011
"...pursue other opportunities to expand diversity in the district..."

Huh? Kudos for rejecting the Urban-Suburban program, buy why expand diversity? If you live in the town, pay town taxes, then you can go to school there. Simple as that.

Maybe I'll move to Churchville-Chili, since my kids would be safer.

Let's end the madness.
Keep thugs in the city

United States

#4 Feb 2, 2011
Urban Suburban wrote:
"...pursue other opportunities to expand diversity in the district..."
Huh? Kudos for rejecting the Urban-Suburban program, buy why expand diversity? If you live in the town, pay town taxes, then you can go to school there. Simple as that.
Maybe I'll move to Churchville-Chili, since my kids would be safer.
Let's end the madness.
why is this program offered ANYWHERE? Waste of taxpayer money.
I love ChurchChiliChest er

United States

#5 Feb 2, 2011
Good for the school board! This program was a 1960's integration program. Why is it still alive and being pushed? It should've ended years ago.

I'm plannin on moving to Churchville-Chili school district, since they actually care about their students.
I love greecechester

United States

#6 Feb 2, 2011
I am not sure what greece cares about, except for raising my fckn taxes and letting crime rule the town.
Brighton home 4 sale

United States

#7 Feb 2, 2011
Anyone interested in buying a nice home in Brighton schools? I'm moving the hell out of an urban-suburban area. Ever since they started that program, we have problems around town, including the black guy grabbing a teen in her shower.
Brighton Student

United States

#8 Feb 2, 2011
I'm just a skinny, dorky, Jewish kid. I'm petrified at school, w/ all the inner city kids getting bussed in. I'm 5'6", 141lbs, with most of the urban kids 6' or taller, ripped, weighing 200+. I try to avoid the bathrooms, and dodgeball in gym class is just plain crazy. My glasses were almost turned into contacts last week when Jamal powered a ball into my face. Someone, please help, and end this bus thug program!!!
14428 Resident

AOL

#9 Feb 2, 2011
The Churchville-Chili Central School District has decided not to implement an Urban-Suburban Transfer Program, which would have allowed minority city students to attend school in the district, spokeswoman Amanda Wood said Tuesday.

After 11 presentations and the completion of a district-wide survey on the program, feedback was compiled and shared with the Board of Education last month. Wood said there were varied opinions on the proposal and responses led the district to conclude that participation in the program did not match the district's core beliefs.

The board and superintendent have decided to instead increase dialogue on the topic and pursue other opportunities to expand diversity in the district.
Very GOOD, Now all my school tax dollars will go to help the children that live IN the school district and not for the dumb thugs that live outside of it or are from the city. Let them move here, BUY a house, and pay taxes IF they want a better education. It is about time that someone put their foot down on the freeloaders and the Urban thugs in the city making a mess out of our wonderful schools in the suburbs!!
Now RhonDUH will be on here saying it is discrimination BUT, it isn't because they ain`t gonna let no one from outside the district come here to attend the schools!!
iprobablyhateyou

Rochester, NY

#10 Feb 2, 2011
I can see why people hate the idea of urban-suburban programs. The city students accepted to the program don't live in the area and their parents aren't paying taxes. I can see why residents of Brighton, Penfield or Pittsford might not like the program.

However, the rules for the urban-suburban transfer program are incredibly strict. Even if a city resident sends in an application it doesn't mean their child will be accepted. Only K-8 students are able to apply, students need to have good grades from their previous school, their behavioral record needs to pretty much be spotless, and they need recommendations from their previous teachers and/or counselors attached to their applications.

Also, if accepted, the guidelines for staying in the program are very strict - must keep up good grades, must keep up attendance, and parental involvement is required. If there are any behavioral problems, they are terminated from the program. If they can't keep up their grades or the parents don't respond to school requests, their child can and will be terminated from the program.

The kids being accepted into this program are more likely to be the kinds of kids who go to college, become upstanding citizens, get good jobs and become taxpaying, law-abiding citizens. That's why even though I live in an urban-suburban district I don't mind this program. These are the good kids coming to my schools, not the bad ones - at least in my experiences. YMMV
14428 Resident

AOL

#11 Feb 2, 2011
iprobablyhateyou wrote:
The kids being accepted into this program are more likely to be the kinds of kids who go to college, become upstanding citizens, get good jobs and become taxpaying, law-abiding citizens. YMMV
OR they go to the UofR and get drunk, fight over something stupid, and get killed and the killer goes to prison for 25-life. What a waste of time THAT was..
It's the taxes thing I don't care for, I don't mind paying taxes for the residents in my district to get an education BUT, if you don't live here you don't belong in our schools!
Its a league game Smoke

East Rochester, NY

#12 Feb 2, 2011
Lead by example, a motto the city school parents should try once in a while...oh wait they already do.
Its not 1960 anymore

United States

#13 Feb 3, 2011
Why are we trying to "integrate" minorities into the suburbs still? All of the suburban kids know what a black kid looks like. This program is a complete waste of resources, that should've ended 20 yrs ago.
Lets not gamble our kids

United States

#14 Feb 3, 2011
iprobablyhateyou wrote:
The kids being accepted into this program are more likely to be the kinds of kids who go to college, become upstanding citizens, get good jobs and become taxpaying, law-abiding citizens.
Interesting comment. Since the suburban schools are already chock full of college-bound, law abiding students, I suggest we stop wasting taxpayer money on a program that GAMBLES that those within the program won't completely disrupt the school they're planning to attend, and screw it up for the kids who are already there. I say let's end this gamble and allow our kids to attend a school within the green zone.
Urban Suburban Alumni

Alfred, NY

#15 Apr 4, 2011
You people are ridiculous. Honestly you're thinking way to negatively with this program. The program interviews who they believe would fit with which ever district. We must maintain a C and if we get in trouble we get kicked out. I'm Asian and I was introduced into the Fairport district and it was the BEST thing that's ever happened to me. I'm now in SUNY Alfred and studying Information Technology: Network administration. I was accepted into RIT but it was not worth my money. My brothers both graduated from the program and are both studying to become Doctors. You can NOT tell me that this program is not helpful.

Stop being close minded people and grow up. Your kids will not be attacked. All of the students who I personally know in the program are all respectful and they know what they're gaining and won't give up a perfect opportunity to graduate and move on to Higher Education. Please don't judge before you find out. do your research and realize that this is a positive program.
14428 Resident

AOL

#16 Apr 4, 2011
Urban Suburban Alumni wrote:
Stop being close minded people and grow up. Your kids will not be attacked. All of the students who I personally know in the program are all respectful and they know what they're gaining and won't give up a perfect opportunity to graduate and move on to Higher Education. Please don't judge before you find out. do your research and realize that this is a positive program.
Why should anyone believe you anyway? You are not a somebody at all, Just another free loader that wants a free education and someone else's expense, and CCHS Isn't going to GIVE it to you anymore!! Grow up and =get a job and PAY for your education all by your own little self!
Urban Suburban Alumni

Alfred, NY

#17 Apr 25, 2011
14428 Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should anyone believe you anyway? You are not a somebody at all, Just another free loader that wants a free education and someone else's expense, and CCHS Isn't going to GIVE it to you anymore!! Grow up and =get a job and PAY for your education all by your own little self!
Atleast I'm working hard to achieve the "American dream." What are your kids doing? Drugs and drinking and having sex with out you knowing? I don't have to worry because your kids will work for me one day and you'll see who's better.

By the way I go to college and room with a bunch of CCHS students and they all love me and don't care that I went to a suburban school district. Where you come from isn't who you are.
bigsingle

Rochester, NY

#19 Apr 25, 2011
Brighton home 4 sale wrote:
Anyone interested in buying a nice home in Brighton schools? I'm moving the hell out of an urban-suburban area. Ever since they started that program, we have problems around town, including the black guy grabbing a teen in her shower.
That half breed SEX OFFENDER lived in BRIGHTON. HE WAS NOT URBAN SUBURBAN. STOP YOUR DRAMA, THE GIRL IN THE SHOWER DIDN'T DESERVE THAT TREATMENT, BUT SHE WAS A FRIEND OF HIS. STOP TRYING TO ACT LIKE BLACK FOLKS ARE IN BRIGHTON DOING CRIME. MOST OF THE ONES I KNOW, AND I LIVED IN BRIGHTON FOR YEARS ARE WHITE. EVEN THE KID FROM THE U OF R WHO DIED LIVED IN BRIGHTON. BRIGHTON SUCKS AND I GRADUATED FROM THE HIGH SCHOOL. THEY HAVE DRUGS, DRUGS AND MORE DRUGS.
Suburban Mom

Rochester, NY

#20 Jan 21, 2014
Greece is not part of the program. The kids that are that school live in that area. The same for Gates-Chili the kids are not thugs being bussed in. They live out there already.

I love greecechester wrote:
http://www.democratandchronicl e.com/article/20110202/NEWS01/ 102020362/1003
Greece Central should follow suit, now!
Grady Stiles

Springfield, NJ

#21 Jan 21, 2014
Brighton Student wrote:
I'm just a skinny, dorky, Jewish kid. I'm petrified at school, w/ all the inner city kids getting bussed in. I'm 5'6", 141lbs, with most of the urban kids 6' or taller, ripped, weighing 200+. I try to avoid the bathrooms, and dodgeball in gym class is just plain crazy. My glasses were almost turned into contacts last week when Jamal powered a ball into my face. Someone, please help, and end this bus thug program!!!
NBG would be interested in a follow up interview with you, too see whether or not you were able to survive the remainder of your high school years, in the shadow of the urban suburban program.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IescapeNY was almost invoved in a threesome 2 hr Ha Ha 14
marvs pizzeria park ave. 3 hr perfect 14
What's Wrong With College Town? 4 hr perfect 21
Why do my threads get hot? Because Rochester tr... 4 hr perfect 4
Bacteria Beach season is starting 4 hr perfect 7
Joe Barkley is the Guiding Voice of this Forum 4 hr perfect 8
Fair port is a racist town 7 hr Ha Ha 81
Is Trump the Orange Führer ? 10 hr josephbarkley 71
More from around the web

Personal Finance