Teenage Killers Forgiven

Teenage Killers Forgiven

Posted in the Rochester Forum

CapriceClassic

“Reality is settling in...”

Since: Nov 08

Stop sweating the small stuff.

#1 Aug 7, 2012
A Texas man who is the only survivor of a cold-blooded home invasion that left his wife and two sons dead says he has forgiven his daughter for planning her own family's brutal murders.

Terry Caffey said he was sound asleep on the morning of March 1, 2008, when an explosion of gunshots filled his Alba, Texas home.

"It was so loud and it's even hard to describe," Caffey told "Nightline." "I mean, can you imagine someone standing over you and shooting when you're sound asleep and now you're being attacked in your bed?"

Four years after the massacre, Caffey's story is being reenacted for the ABC TV series, "Final Witness," set to air Wednesday night at 10 p.m. He told “Nightline” that he’s learned to accept the death of his family, and has even reconnected with his daughter, Erin, who orchestrated the massacre.

The show recreates the moment Caffey was awoken by two intruders - one was Charlie Wilkinson, his 16-year-old daughter's boyfriend.

He didn't learn until later that Erin was also in on the attack.

Wilkinson and an accomplice shot Caffey's wife Penny to death and set the family's home on fire. They fired a bullet in his 13-year-old son Matthew's face and stabbed 8-year-old Tyler to death in a closet. Caffey himself was shot several times.

"I found out that Tyler, 8-year-old little Tyler, was hiding upstairs in a closet and the two killers, Charlie and Charles [Wade], took turns stabbing him to death," Caffey told "Nightline." "The hardest thing [was] to hear that. I remember when I heard that, I just couldn't believe that's how they did [it], and it goes back to that guilt and I felt I should have been able to save them and I couldn't."

Caffey struggled to crawl out of his bedroom.

"The house is exploding, it's totally engulfed, and I'm forced back in the bedroom," he said. "I am trying to climb over the bed but that's where the flames are and that's where I found Penny, and when I saw her, it was a terrible scene, her nearly decapitated head. I knew she was gone."

Caffey was eventually able to escape the inferno his home had become.

Police later told him it must have taken about an hour for him to crawl the length of four football fields to a neighbor's house.

Once at the hospital, he wanted to die, Caffey said. Then he heard that his daughter Erin was still alive.

"Then I had something to live for, I had some hope, so I began to fight," he told "Nightline."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/dad-...
MlQg25qAkgyXrVLe Vy21txXvA

Rochester, NY

#2 Aug 7, 2012
He's a bigger man than I am.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rudy Giuliani Joins the Dream Team 29 min Flipped Mike Cohen 16
Deport homeless 44 min Perfect 1
Perfects feet 47 min Perfect 2
Where are the Good Russian-American ? 1 hr Flipped Mike Cohen 1
News Golisano acquiring high-speed internet provider... 3 hr Flipped Mike Cohen 1
News Tops seeking court approval to close some stores 3 hr Flipped Mike Cohen 1
President Trump May Get Peace Prize! 4 hr Perfect 16

Rochester Jobs

Personal Finance

Rochester Mortgages