Wegmans to open store in urban Boston...

Wegmans to open store in urban Boston neighborhood.

Posted in the Rochester Forum

Kwame Najo Tetteh

Astoria, NY

#1 Mar 25, 2013
http://www.13wham.com/content/news/consumer/s...

Yet they neglect all stores in the City of Rochester for decades, close them and then blame it on the community citing "safety concerns."

Well good for you, Boston. Good for you.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#2 Mar 25, 2013
Maybe there is less blacks in the city of Boston?

Or maybe the City of Boston is give Danny Wegmans soo much tax breaks (aka welfare) that he can't refuse?

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#3 Mar 25, 2013
Kwame Najo Tetteh wrote:
http://www.13wham.com/content/ news/consumer/story/wegmans-bo ston/yklAOZEgvkyBohpyIs_mwg.cs px
Yet they neglect all stores in the City of Rochester for decades, close them and then blame it on the community citing "safety concerns."
Well good for you, Boston. Good for you.
Good for you Wegmans.

One could say Rochester didnt respect Wegmans.

Wegman's be disrespected by Rochestarians.

Go Wegmans you are the best and yes many time the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.

And to be fare, Urban Boston is a lot different than ghetto Rochester

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#4 Mar 25, 2013
morality wrote:
Maybe there is less blacks in the city of Boston?
Or maybe the City of Boston is give Danny Wegmans soo much tax breaks (aka welfare) that he can't refuse?
Maybe there are higher class, working class blacks in the city of Boston?
Kwame Najo Tetteh

Astoria, NY

#5 Mar 25, 2013
In what way was Wegmans disrespected by Rochester? If anything it's been the other way around. By Rochester I'm referring to those living within the actual CITY of Rochester, not the metropolitan area (which I will give Wegmans credit for supporting). Educate me on the history as you see it, because from what I understand Wegmans has done nothing but slap the people of this community in the face.

Let's take a look. They just closed the convenient, urban friendly East Ave store opting for a big box, suburban like redesign with a ridiculously large parking lot. This led to the closing of the bus stop in that commercial district and an entire city without an adequate supermarket.

A few years back they closed the Dewey/Driving Park Wegmans because it was "outdated" and "unsafe." Like they couldn't have done something about that. In the early 2000s they closed the Mt. Hope Wegmans after promising the community a remodelled store with vast improvements that would've benefited everyone tremendously. They pulled out at the last minute for some BS and left the site deserted and neighborhood without access to a grocery store. There are countless other examples of this. I believe the 1990s were when most of Wegmans' city locations were closed, including my own local store at the corner of Culver and Bay St.

Sorry for ranting. I just find it interesting that Wegmans totally throws their hometown under the bus while investing in urban planning in New England...
Biracial one

El Monte, CA

#6 Mar 25, 2013
Kwame, you make excellent points. Afterall, didn't Wegmans start in the city limits? They alienated their urban shoppers. But urban Boston gets a store? Yes, what a slap in the face. Wegmans turned their back on its roots.

Location hidden

#7 Mar 25, 2013
There must not be any walmart nearby at the Boston location, as wegmans always runs from walmart.
Soon when walmart makes webster into a super walmart, I'm sure wegmans across the street will be closing.
Biracial one

El Monte, CA

#8 Mar 25, 2013
morality wrote:
There must not be any walmart nearby at the Boston location, as wegmans always runs from walmart.
Soon when walmart makes webster into a super walmart, I'm sure wegmans across the street will be closing.
Just like what happened in Gates. But that Wegmans didnt upgrade.

Location hidden

#9 Mar 25, 2013
Biracial one wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like what happened in Gates. But that Wegmans didn't upgrade.
Don't forget they did it in Greece at the Dewey ave store to.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
a mom's love 31 min painmakesharshsum... 14
NY State Police Closing In on Sweat 36 min Dirty Harry 28
White Copycat Macaroni Salad Burglar Arrested 39 min Rhinestone Cowboy 1
Break room ratings 39 min Tommy Tutone 376
Has This White Man Been Doing Your Kids 52 min Rhondas Friend 1
Kevin Doran (Ch 8) Moving to Minneapolis 52 min Brian W 46
10 WHEC Hides White Mugshot Of Heroin Smuggler 55 min RacistFireCrotchB... 1
More from around the web

Rochester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE