After 35 Years, WHAM's Chet Walker Fired

After 35 Years, WHAM's Chet Walker Fired

There are 40 comments on the Radio Ink story from Jul 1, 2014, titled After 35 Years, WHAM's Chet Walker Fired. In it, Radio Ink reports that:

According to News10NBC , Clear Channel's WHAM-AM in Rochester, New York has fired Walker after 35 years with the station.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Radio Ink.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
friend

Rochester, NY

#25 Jul 14, 2014
I loved listening to Chet on my way to work in the morning. His calm voice and family humor helped me get through the bad weather and frustrating commute each day. Now I feel like I have lost a good friend. With nothing but news, traffic and weather before 9am, it only adds to the stress of early morning. He was definitely a bright spot and will be very much missed.
wake up call

Rochester, NY

#26 Jul 15, 2014
Darlene wrote:
<quoted text>
WHAM (radio and TV) is becoming increasingly irrelevant to Rochester by the year. I suppose oldsters listen to AM talk shows in the nursing home, and dullards watch elderly Don and the cutesy news on 13.
PBS (WXXI) nightly news covers relevant stories with excellent in depth reporting. The only thing I don't get with it is who was killed in the 'hood. And I don't care.
The only problem with PBS is they are far left and completely progressive/liberal. They even fired Juan Williams who was with them many years because he went on the Factor/ No Spin Zone (FNC) then tried to get him blackballed from the media. S/N: I can't stand whiney Juan or his progressive polices, but I will stand up for his freedom of speech.
RKG

Ontario, NY

#27 Jul 16, 2014
What is wrong with Wham?? Every morning I listen to Chet on my way to work.(I don't miss Beth at all - that was an improvement). But Chet gave the morning show a personal touch, some interview time, and made the ride to work informational and entertaining.
Lonsberry is an annoying idiot that has no business on being on early morning radio when people can tolerate him even less than in the afternoon.
This is a bad move by Wham. And this morning I started looking for another station to listen to - because it isn't going to be Lonsberry.
On a positive note - the person who does the traffic in the morning is terrific! This is much better than it used to be. He's actually accurate - keep him.
The guy who has taken over for Chet is not a bad radio person at all - but in the morning, people want the personality that Chet portrayed.
Dave

Rochester, NY

#29 Jul 20, 2014
Chet Walker was a racist pig that spent most of his show talking about himself and his boring life and ridiculous view points. I hope he moves to Paris. Hey Chet don't let the door hit you on the way OUT of here !
Connie

Cortland, NY

#30 Jul 25, 2014
As another person posted: first Beth and now Chet. I so enjoyed listening to Chet during my commute to work. I retired a bit ago and made it a point to listen to Chet whenever I could and wherever I could get the station on my radio. I will not longer make it a point to listen to WHAM period! I wish Chet the very best.
Shannon

United States

#31 Jul 29, 2014
I think most of these comments are coming from very misinformed ignorant assholes! Obviously it is awful when ANYONE is let go from their positions especially after such a long sucessful run! I am a 37 year old Mother of 2 , as well as a Registered Nurse. I am an independant who runs on the conservative side . I am quite saddened by the state of our once great Country and by the looks of these comments , I can almost understand why we are in such a mess as a Nation. CHET WALKER AND BOB LONSBERRY are two of the most intelligent up to date news broadcasters I can think of. The people who think otherwise are obviously non listeners or just plain fools! They both want what's best for our Country and speak of values , morals and religion...three things that have fallen to the wayside in this Country. They tell it like it is and always have the facts to back up what they say! Wake up people ! I am scared to think of where this Nation will be in 10 years but GOD WILLING , hopefully we will still have at least Bob Lonsberry to speak the truth and point us in the right direction...cuz GOD knows , the mainstream media isnt!
Eathan

Rochester, NY

#32 Aug 3, 2014
Shanon is right. We need more conservative talk show hosts who can inform the public what is really going on. Bob was one but Chet was not.
Bob delves deeply into issues while Chet would make a comment and then say "that's a good thing". He was so shallow in anything he reported.
He constantly complained about the a.m. hrs now he doesn't need to worry about that anymore. Better watch out what you wish for. He has plenty of time to contemplate his "cul de sac" - it would drive me crazy he must have told us he lived in a "cul de sac" at least 10x every am. I live on a trail but when talking about it I say my road or street. He wasn't conservative - he probably voted for Obama and probably did the second time around. Glad he's gone. If he's out of work much longer, he won't be able to buy all the fancy gadgets he was purchasing every wk and then bragging about. I love listening to Bob but Chet - good bye and good riddance.
Lurking

Pittsford, NY

#33 Aug 3, 2014
Bob is an idiot, Self serving, marginal intelligence and uses his show to hammer on people. Lonsberry is a blight on Rochester.
Donna

Penfield, NY

#34 Aug 16, 2014
I was not happy that Beth was let go, I am not happy that Chet is gone. I do enjoy WHAM. I listen to it in the morning, it is what wakes me up for the day before work. Joe Lamonico is fine, I just think each person on the air has a spot they are good in. I enjoyed the back and forth of Beth and Chet, Sherry and Chet also. I woke up to simple conversation, not anything political which was fine with me since I was not awake yet. I would like to see Chet come back. If not, I do hope he finds another station in town, maybe even a better show than he had before. If he does, I'll listen to that also. Bob is arrogant, at the same time his commentaries are many times spot on. When he annoys me, I turn the channel.

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#36 Aug 16, 2014
wake up call wrote:
<quoted text> The only problem with PBS is they are far left and completely progressive/liberal. They even fired Juan Williams who was with them many years because he went on the Factor/ No Spin Zone (FNC) then tried to get him blackballed from the media. S/N: I can't stand whiney Juan or his progressive polices, but I will stand up for his freedom of speech.
I dont watch PBS idk what channel it is. But im also at work alot.
Duncan Richards

Rochester, NY

#37 Aug 21, 2014
Sorry Clear Channel....I listened to WHAM for 10 minutes every morning, from 8:20 to 8:30 for traffic, weather and sports. I loathed listening to Chet, Beth and their useless babbling. I would never buy from your sponsors, particularly any of those that repeated their phone numbers three times. But now, with Babbling Bob and his fake stutter(eh..eh..eh...) when trying to sound "folksy"' you have lost my ears for even those ten minutes....WHAM, you have become irrelevant to me...
Demented Daisy

Pittsford, NY

#38 Aug 22, 2014
Diamond Daisy wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont watch PBS idk what channel it is. But im also at work alot.
Go away. No one cares.
Billy

Hilton, NY

#39 Sep 22, 2014
Walker was Boring, I'm glad he's gone! Removing Lamonico and his grating voice next would be ideal.
Rick

Ocala, FL

#40 Dec 11, 2014
I'd typically have WHAM on in the early a.m. so I wouldn't miss Lonsberry, but it was hard for me to endure Walker's drivel ! So I'd turn the volume down low till Bob came on.

I suppose some folks still enjoy listing to the safe and phony radio announcers who yammer on about meaningless crap, but many folks like myself need more. So I was elated when when boring Walker was bumped and Bob started coming in a 1/2 hour earlier.

Walker's skills and experience can be utilized somewhere I'm sure, so all is not lost for him.
Dlbp

Rochester, NY

#41 Jan 1, 2015
Was out of town on vacation when Chet was fired....public who knew him almost like family from listening over the years had no say....and no closure, just like with Beth...dropped off the face of the earth seemingly. I do not like outside people who buy stations and care NOTHING about us in Roc, just what money they can make off us, making key decisions for our radio life. We are left with a redundant news progran in early morn and then Bob Lonsberry an hour too early (for his banter) till noon. Bob is ok...just NOT before 9... Can someone at least tell us if Chet is ok and is he working at what he does best?
Chevy

Brockport, NY

#42 Jan 1, 2015
Dlbp wrote:
Was out of town on vacation when Chet was fired....public who knew him almost like family from listening over the years had no say....and no closure, just like with Beth...dropped off the face of the earth seemingly. I do not like outside people who buy stations and care NOTHING about us in Roc, just what money they can make off us, making key decisions for our radio life. We are left with a redundant news progran in early morn and then Bob Lonsberry an hour too early (for his banter) till noon. Bob is ok...just NOT before 9... Can someone at least tell us if Chet is ok and is he working at what he does best?
Idiots like Lonsberry will bring in more listeners because of the supremacist views he has.
Mike

Rochester, NY

#43 Apr 4, 2015
Liberal Bill wrote:
This is just awful for Chet as he was a class act on the local airways for a very-long time.
This just shows however that local conservative talk and news programing simply cant cut it anymore. It is only a matter of time that the idiot Bob L is also shown the door. The big national shows that are cheaper to put on the air is the direction that so many stations are moving toward.
Hopefully somehow Chet can team up with Beth again on her new station. While at times I did not agree with Chet he did a great job for his audience and kept Rochester informed in the early mornings.
Chet was a class act, but his show was kind of boring. Bob will continue to be around, exactly because you don't like him. And exactly how is it that conservative radio can't cut it? I don't see it going away. Bob has popular support because he isn't boring and stands up the democratic hypocrisy that has taken over most aspects of our society. Of-course I know that liberal machine is trying to shut down any dissent. Good luck!
John

Rochester, NY

#44 Jul 14, 2015
Liberal Bill wrote:
This is just awful for Chet as he was a class act on the local airways for a very-long time.
This just shows however that local conservative talk and news programing simply cant cut it anymore. It is only a matter of time that the idiot Bob L is also shown the door. The big national shows that are cheaper to put on the air is the direction that so many stations are moving toward.
Hopefully somehow Chet can team up with Beth again on her new station. While at times I did not agree with Chet he did a great job for his audience and kept Rochester informed in the early mornings.
Your wrong about Mr. Lonsberry ... One year out... He's carrying the station almost single-handedly ... In a very likable, professional, manner, no less.
RacistFireCrotch BarnFart

Rochester, NY

#45 Jul 14, 2015
John wrote:
<quoted text>
Your wrong about Mr. Lonsberry ... One year out... He's carrying the station almost single-handedly ... In a very likable, professional, manner, no less.
And who is exactly "liking" him, Trumps 11%?
Blacky2215

Tinley Park, IL

#46 Aug 11, 2015
It's been over a year since Chet is toe and I have not listened to WHAM since. He was a little much for me but it was a kind of comfort so to speak catching go him for little periods of time.
It's corporate greed as he was probably making a good salary and they always are looking to cut.
That stations a non event in this town now regardless of what Boobs berry thinks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Fake IescapedNY Has Morphed Into Diamond Daisy 2 hr IescapedNY 37
Genesee Beer Tanks Made in China 3 hr IescapedNY 31
Fly the US flag this holiday season. 3 hr IescapedNY 8
European Intelligence Will Release Dirt on Trump 6 hr IescapedNY 10
IescapedNY Challenge 10 hr IescapedNY 26
Trump Acts Like Baboon at NATO Meeting 10 hr IescapedNY 21
Jeff Sessons slaps creepy biden's hand away 20 hr Ha Ha 1

Rochester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance