"We Can't Afford It:" A Bitter Admission?

Feb 23, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

On Wednesday, February 20, Rochester's current mayor announced that our city had been chosen to vie for the privilege of hosting the 2024 Olympics! For a few weeks in 2024, global focus would be centered on Rochester.

Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Feb 24, 2013
RFCBF

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Bitter?

Can buffalo or Syracuse offers it????
Can any of our rich suburban towns afford it???
RFCBF

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Yah, white Duffy had the good looks, the height, and chameleon to turn rochester around.
Good lord now what with our new old short and fat guy?
Big Daddy Don

Chelmsford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Do you people realize that hosting the Olympics would require several BILLION dollars? Where would that money come from? This city is broke and so is the state. I'm not crazy about the mayor, but he's right. There is no way in Hell this area could pull anything of the magnitude of the Olympics off. Even if we combined with Buffalo or any other upstate community..it would be impossible.
RFCBF

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Big Daddy Don wrote:
Do you people realize that hosting the Olympics would require several BILLION dollars? Where would that money come from? This city is broke and so is the state. I'm not crazy about the mayor, but he's right. There is no way in Hell this area could pull anything of the magnitude of the Olympics off. Even if we combined with Buffalo or any other upstate community..it would be impossible.
But Duffy is tall and handsome!!!
Ha Ha

Iraq

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

besides, how would we move all the spectators around ... the fast ferry is gone!
Daws

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

We could do it. We need no assistance but our own will power as a "greater rochester community". If we put our minds to it we can. Whose to stop us but our own bickering for more $$$! We CAN do it! Many political obsticals. but it CAN be done.If any city in america can become bipartisan enough(and that's exactly what it would take)to be able to host such a grand event; the divetsity of rochester coupled with the desire of its city leaders (and I use that term loosley) it can be a HUGE SUCCESS.
Daws

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

Hey "big daddy don":
If u live here (assuming u live in Rochester) yeah it would take billions. BUT if it is held here we would get the financial backing of the freakin government. Do u honestly think, on a world scale, we Would be made fools of? If u are a Rochestarian, you would remember when we hosted the PGA Ryder Cup...not to say that is anywhere near the magnitude of the Olympics, but I remember there wasn't a pot hole to be found, route 441 was clear, and even Greece cops were on their best behavior. My friend, it CAN BE DONE.
No Shame

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

It didn't take billions in Lake Placid. It shouldn't take anywhere close to that much with UR, RIT, Fisher, etc.
Big Daddy Don

Chelmsford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

It would take BILLIONS. Check how much money was spent on the London games. Simply having RIT and Fisher is not near enough. The infrastructure improvements alone would require more money than the state has. We don't have the venues, the necessary mass transit system, or hotel capacity.

Beyond lacking almost everything required to successfully do the job, why would we want to take on the debt that would come with attempting the Olympics? Oh, and there is zero comparison between hosting something like the Ryder Cup and the olympics. Imagine hosting 20 Ryder Cups, simultaneously, for two weeks, and then you can have some idea of the difference.
Ha Ha

Iraq

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

Daws wrote:
We could do it. We need no assistance but our own will power as a "greater rochester community". If we put our minds to it we can. Whose to stop us but our own bickering for more $$$! We CAN do it! Many political obsticals. but it CAN be done.If any city in america can become bipartisan enough(and that's exactly what it would take)to be able to host such a grand event; the divetsity of rochester coupled with the desire of its city leaders (and I use that term loosley) it can be a HUGE SUCCESS.
what are you ... NUTS?!?!
Every city that ever hosted the olympics was left with crushing debt after the games were gone.

we're STILL paying off the fast ferry sham!

I say we volunteer the olympics be hosted in D.C.... all our money goes there anyways!
The man

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

No Shame wrote:
It didn't take billions in Lake Placid. It shouldn't take anywhere close to that much with UR, RIT, Fisher, etc.
Um, dope-face.

There's not enough hotel space or transportation or money or smart people as your post proves.

We're barely able to host the tardo olympics.
Ha Ha

Iraq

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

whitey wrote:
<quoted text>it would create employment and reduce welfare. rochester would not want that.
maybe for a whole month ... then you would have all these people looking for work after the thing was over.

If you look at lake placid ... they spent a fortune building a secure facility for the athiletes, media, vendors & security. and when it was all over, they were deep in debt with noone to pay for it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-206...

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2...

http://www.english.rfi.fr/sports/20120727-pro...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

24 Users are viewing the Rochester Forum right now

Search the Rochester Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
topix is run by racist jiggers 3 hr RacistFireCrotch BarnFart 1
topix is jigger lovers 3 hr RacistFireCrotch BarnFart 1
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 3 hr General Robert E Lee 6,361
7 Investigates: Cigarette lighters spark concerns 4 hr Ha Ha 3
What is your biggest pet peeve 4 hr Ha Ha 25
My HOME BOY shoots baby in stroller DAY GOT PIC 4 hr RacistFireCrotch BarnFart 4
post WHATS BETTER PANTYHOSE OR BAG FOR HEAD 4 hr RacistFireCrotch BarnFart 3
•••

Flash Flood Warning for Monroe County was issued at July 28 at 12:52AM EDT

•••
•••
•••
Rochester Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Rochester Jobs

•••