Who is Tyquan Rivera, shooting suspect

Who is Tyquan Rivera, shooting suspect

There are 233 comments on the WHEC-TV Rochester, NY story from Feb 3, 2009, titled Who is Tyquan Rivera, shooting suspect. In it, WHEC-TV Rochester, NY reports that:

News 10NBC has learned this is not the first run-in with the law for the 14-year-old boy, Tyquan Rivera, accused of shooting a Rochester Police officer.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHEC-TV Rochester, NY.

First Prev
of 12
Next Last
bucsnbeer

Mount Pleasant, SC

#1 Feb 3, 2009
and the useless piece of shit will be out of jail inthree years, not even old enough to be done with highschool. I hope his parents are proud, he can come right back and live with them while welfare pays for everything
Westsider

Rochester, NY

#2 Feb 3, 2009
What a loser! If he was such a "good" kid, then why did he shoot an innocent police officer?
13suks

Batavia, NY

#3 Feb 3, 2009
bucsnbeer, are you good friends with him?, cause how else would you know if they were on welfare?
Marie

United States

#4 Feb 3, 2009
Heartbreaking to think that a fourteen year old could do this - I cannot imagine what his upbringing was like. I know he needs to be punished, severely, but fourteen?! So young ... so violent ...
FredoCorleone

North Chili, NY

#5 Feb 3, 2009
What society must grasp concerning criminal behavior is this:
Career criminals, from shoplifters to serial killers, all share the same trait: a lack of empathy and sympathy towards human life. Stealing, shooting, murdering is akin to waking up in the morning. They just don't think about it. There's no conscience on their part.

Marie: yes, it is heartbreaking, but must law abiding citizens be the proverbial guinea pigs in this experiment to reform criminals? Where are the civil rights of the victims? I say they were violated the split second they became the targets of antisocial behavior. And we're talking about entire neighborhoods being strangled, not just individuals.

We'll wait and see what the future brings. If this tragedy happened to someone you love and care about, how would you react?
Susan

Wyoming, NY

#6 Feb 3, 2009
I pray Tony DiPonzio will fully recover. How sad that this generation does not have any respect for our police that protect us. I know not all kids are like this kid but they are not as respectfull these days.
Laurie Carbone

Newark, NY

#7 Feb 3, 2009
I A mother of 2 Cannot believe that a 14 year old would be tried as an adult when you are under NYS law in custody of your parent until 18 watching and protecting a minors every move. He is at fault but the mother is more at fault!! You as New York State Lawmakers enable these parents to be in this position as parents.I cannot say no more..But the mother is to blame...Sorry..Unless their is some other real messed up situation! I know where and when my child is at all times and keep giving these so-called drug parents or what-ever not parents - assistance. This child is a product of the mother...Quilty mother as charged!! This is absurd for this officer!!
bob

Rochester, NY

#8 Feb 3, 2009
Here is a genius idea if u dont want to charge the boy as an adult lets charge the adult(s) who are responsible for him. how does the state justify letting a 12 year old drop out of school. Where was social services in this kids case. and last but not least, its not like this was an accident it was done in cold blood, for what to prove that he is a real street thug for being able to shoot an innocent cop in the BACK of the head. Hey way to go i hope all your fellow street thugs are happy for you and lets see how many of your so called friends come to visit you while your doing life in prison for attempted murder of a police officer.
Allen

Rochester, NY

#9 Feb 3, 2009
Here is yet another situation of a Youth doing something horrendous!

In this case he should be Tried as an Adult, but when convicted, he goes to a Juvenile facility until he turns 18, then to the Big House State Prison just like Eric Smith Did in the Murder of Derrick Robie. But then unlike today, We have Pennys Law where the sentencing can be much longer and tack on up to 15 more years.
Pennys Law came about after the 1999 murder and rape of Penny Brown on Mothers Day by a 15 year old.

""Penny's Law" changes the sentencing range for juvenile murderers from 5-9 years to life, to a far more appropriate 15-25 years to life.
"

Since: Feb 09

Roc

#10 Feb 4, 2009
This kid is a real gem. Let me guess .....the video games made him do it. That grand theft auto is brainwashing our youth. This kid needs too rot in a small cold cage for the rest of his life. Seriously you can't do what he did and be free ever again.
oldschooler

Webster, NY

#11 Feb 4, 2009
The real problem today is all these teenagers having babies, there's no fathers in the children's lives and all you hear about nowadays is baby daddies who are irresponsible men with children from several women. When I was growning up it was my husband our children, one family. You walk in the store and watch these young mothers cussing at the children and dragging and pulling on them it just hurts my heart and this goes for the olders mothers too. They just want to have children, dress them up and run to the welfare office for assistance and they are getting it, meanwhile when hard working people fall into difficulties and apply for temporary help, DSS turn them down. These kids are the product of the sorry adults that surrounds them.

Since: May 08

United States

#12 Feb 4, 2009
TurkeyBurger wrote:
This kid is a real gem. Let me guess .....the video games made him do it. That grand theft auto is brainwashing our youth...
They also used to think that the telephone would make people anti-social.
JDS65

Freeville, NY

#14 Feb 4, 2009
Seriously channel 10!!! How many time do people have to mention your grammar in your stories are atrocious before you start doing something about it???

It's funny 30+ years ago this kind of thing never happened. Probably because parents could properly discipline their kids back then. If I had acted even a 10th as bad as this kid did when I was his age my Father would have blistered my back side and rightfully so. NYS needs to give parents some authoritative powers back so they are not afraid to discipline their own children. Something tells me in this case even if the parent could discipline their kid they wouldn't have because they were just too lazy and just didn't care. Which is a shame. I believe there is no such thing as a bad kid only bad parents. Kids are a clean slate when they are born and they become the kind of people we raise them to be. If a parent is absent then the kids become wild with no one there to give them the proper direction they need. It's a shame Social services didn't intervene long ago. How could they let this kid drop out in the 6th grade? There are clearly no winners here. A man is struggling for his life and a childs life is ruined. It is a sad sad day.
Watching

North Waterboro, ME

#15 Feb 4, 2009
Hey Fredocorleon you are the only one making any kind of sense here wake-up people these are the times we live in and its not going to get any better from Wallstreet to Mainstreet we all need to look at ourselves and say what happened this can happen anywhere, any neighborhood, race, creed, nationality, rich or poor mean absoulutly S***. again wake-up people have you been watching to news lately. My opinion GREED has taken over & thats the american way. YEAH RIGHT! theres your problem.
USA

New York, NY

#16 Feb 4, 2009
Laurie Carbone wrote:
I A mother of 2 Cannot believe that a 14 year old would be tried as an adult when you are under NYS law in custody of your parent until 18 watching and protecting a minors every move. He is at fault but the mother is more at fault!! You as New York State Lawmakers enable these parents to be in this position as parents.I cannot say no more..But the mother is to blame...Sorry..Unless their is some other real messed up situation! I know where and when my child is at all times and keep giving these so-called drug parents or what-ever not parents - assistance. This child is a product of the mother...Quilty mother as charged!! This is absurd for this officer!!
YES the mother is to blame and all that harbored him for 3 days! It is NOT society's fault that this punk POS turned out this way it is his mother and no where to be found father!

Officer DiPonzio's is fighting for his life - this POS Rivera should get the same thing - an eye for an eye!

“The Wise One”

Since: Sep 07

The Heart of the Heartland

#17 Feb 4, 2009
Rivera is trash...

and so is his family...
13suks

Batavia, NY

#18 Feb 4, 2009
how come they continue to call him a 13yr old, when hes really 13.????????
the police can't even get that right.
whatever

Livonia Center, NY

#19 Feb 4, 2009
13suks wrote:
how come they continue to call him a 13yr old, when hes really 13.????????
the police can't even get that right.
13suks wrote:
whatever your a racist and bigot, watching the movie Roots or going to the KING Center 5 times REALLY doesn't help you in your case I amazed that you think it helps you, and you are avoid my questions, how did get the things you do, out of my comments??? How could a young kid would learn to hate cops soo much??

IF you can find ONE of my statements where I mention the words white or black I will accept being called a racist. But guess what? You won't because I haven't said anything about skin color. YOU did that. You seem to confuse my distaste for irresponsible parenting with racism. YOU drew the conclusions about race, NOT ME!!! Bad parenting is bad parenting, regardless of color.

Here are just a few of your previous posts, your venom for the RPD is more than evident:

**If they did this when city residents got shot, maybe more would have lived and our murder rate would be a lot lower? But I guess they only care about their own.

**They should try to save EVERYONE'S life the same way. I can't call any of the hero's, when they only do it for their own.

**If its a 14 yr old, I only wonder why he would hate the police soo much, that he'd do something like this??
Duffy runs Rochester, like Bush ran Iraq. You don't get anywhere by abusing the innocent, you only turn them against you.

**...and that a lot of the criminal problems that may be in the city are brought on by the cops themselves. Ask any cop outside of the RPD "what is the worst police department", and they will tell you its the RPD and it has nothing to do with the city residents.

**They acted like they care, but their really just in it for their position and their paycheck. Kicking kids off of corners isn't "cleaning up the city" as you call it, it's just making it worse.

**You sound like a bigot to me. With attitudes like that, I'm surprised more of you aren't shot in the head."

**I feel outraged when anyone is killed, not just a cop. Why would I feel more outraged when its a cop?

Like I said, find ONE statement where I use the words white, black, hispanic, etc. YOU WON'T!!
Too much

Rochester, NY

#20 Feb 4, 2009
13 suks....what are you talking about????

I am not saying everyone who lives in the city are bad but my family of four chooses to live in a two bedroom apartment instead of buying a house in the city where we can only afford a house. I will not allow my children to go to city schools and be around other children that do not respect adults, authority, other children or themselves. The environment in the city is horrible and for the most part it is the fault of parents that do not take care of their children. Now the children are running around doing what ever they want because they can.
It is not the job of the schools or police to take care of your children. It is up to the parents. If you do not want to take care of children either use some sort of protection or try not having sex at all. It seems that people now have to have unprotected sex with as many people as possible. It seems to have become a game as who sleeps with more people.
Now we have children that do not have parents and will commit crimes because they have nothing better to do.
Of course, those involved always seem to say it wasn't their fault. The government didn't help me. We wouldn't have to help you if you kept your legs closed!!!!!
Concerned Mother

Webster, NY

#21 Feb 4, 2009
Laurie Carbone wrote:
Your crazy, you can't blame everything on parents you don't know her, you don't know their situation. And you certainly don't know everything a child does at every second of the day, no matter how close you are to them. You can teach them and train them to a point. Don't condem this mother when you and most of us don't have the whole story of her life. If that boy made up his mind to be a bad person then his mommy or the authorties can't make him a good person. He will have to want it for his self. I'm sure she feels bad enough, she has to leave with this shame the rest of her life. Hold the boy accountable for his actions.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
My dad's birthday is saturday! 1 hr IescapedNY 20
Trump Lashes Out at Dems 1 hr IescapedNY 2
Rochester a Sanctuary City? 2 hr Ha ha is unemployed 5
One Year Later... Trump Shutdown Begins 2 hr IescapedNY 12
Amazon Announces Top 20 Cities - No Rochester 20 hr IescapedNY 11
Jerry this is your last warning 20 hr IescapedNY 3
Anyone find Trumps comments about "black" count... 20 hr IescapedNY 24

Rochester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance