What The F With topixs Pop Adds?

What The F With topixs Pop Adds?

Posted in the Rochester Forum

Aunt Bea

Rochester, NY

#1 Dec 13, 2013
The add's are getting tiring taking over 1/4 of the screen. Can they be blocked?
Is topixs going to kill itself with addvertising like the d&c and wham1180?

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#2 Dec 13, 2013
The solution is simple. Get Firefox and install AdBlock and NoScript. It is free and effective. Both make using the internet more enjoyable and safer. They also have both for Opera. Just upgrade and these issues will not matter to you anymore.
Aunt Bea

Rochester, NY

#3 Dec 13, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
The solution is simple. Get Firefox and install AdBlock and NoScript. It is free and effective. Both make using the internet more enjoyable and safer. They also have both for Opera. Just upgrade and these issues will not matter to you anymore.
I'm done with topix. It's dead anyways.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#4 Dec 13, 2013
Well, I was just trying to help. Both these extensions work great all across the internet. Really can't understand why anyone wouldn't use them.
Aunt Bea

Rochester, NY

#5 Dec 13, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
Well, I was just trying to help. Both these extensions work great all across the internet. Really can't understand why anyone wouldn't use them.
Didn't mean to sound snarly at you. Sorry.! I wrote it down and will ask my grandson if he can download it for me.
Thank you!
Rhonda

Rochester, NY

#6 Dec 13, 2013
Aunt Bea wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm done with topix. It's dead anyways.
I think I'm done with topix too.
I beat nickbo to the point we hardly hear a peep out of him.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#7 Dec 13, 2013
Aunt Bea wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't mean to sound snarly at you. Sorry.! I wrote it down and will ask my grandson if he can download it for me.
Thank you!
Oh no no no. I know you weren't. It is really easy to get and takes about 5 seconds. You need FireFox or Opera for them. Also easy to get and install.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#8 Dec 13, 2013
While your at it you might want to have your grandson install Do Not Track Me for FireFox. You might be surprised how many ways a sight like topix is trying to track you. It will stop much of it and also show how much it is trying to do so.
Aunt Bea

Rochester, NY

#9 Dec 14, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
The solution is simple. Get Firefox and install AdBlock and NoScript. It is free and effective. Both make using the internet more enjoyable and safer. They also have both for Opera. Just upgrade and these issues will not matter to you anymore.
FTW

I downloaded Firefox but can't get any of the adbock's to down load. Can you post a link plus do I have to disable my security virus program while downloading?

thanks

ps I am boycotting Best buy there pop up ads pist me off

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#10 Dec 14, 2013
Aunt Bea wrote:
<quoted text>
FTW
I downloaded Firefox but can't get any of the adbock's to down load. Can you post a link plus do I have to disable my security virus program while downloading?
thanks
ps I am boycotting Best buy there pop up ads pist me off
Hello. Do you see the FireFox button at the top of the page? Click on it and go to ad-ons. If you don't see the Firefox button then let me know. Either way I'll stay to help ya'.
PS
Your anti-virus should not be a problem. I'm going to be right back while I set up a link for you.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#11 Dec 14, 2013

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#12 Dec 14, 2013
Hey here are some troubleshooting tips as well.
My guess is to check to make sure your JavaScript is enabled.
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-securi...
FTW nickbo

Rochester, NY

#13 Dec 14, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
The solution is simple. Get Firefox and install AdBlock and NoScript. It is free and effective. Both make using the internet more enjoyable and safer. They also have both for Opera. Just upgrade and these issues will not matter to you anymore.
Thanks!

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#14 Dec 14, 2013
FTW nickbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks!
Well if you want to thank me stop labeling me someone I'm not.
Anyway happy to help. Are you Aunt Bea? If not did you have any problems installing it like she did.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#15 Dec 14, 2013
FTW nickbo wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks!
Some other extensions that you might like.
HTTPS everywhere (It takes you to the HTTPS address automatically if available)
Better Privacy (Deletes LSO cookies when you close your browser)
Do not Track me ( Stops websights from tracking you. Really important for sights like Topix)
Browser Project ( Keeps others from changing your Browser settings through downloads)
Mask me ( allows you to sign in on web sights without using your e-mail address)
Self Destructing Cookies (keeps cookies off of your computer unless you decide to keep them)
FTW ismyhero

Rochester, NY

#16 Dec 14, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text>Well if you want to thank me stop labeling me someone I'm not.
Anyway happy to help. Are you Aunt Bea? If not did you have any problems installing it like she did.
Is that better?
Not AB.....no problems installing any of the add-ons. Pages load way faster without all the scripts running.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#17 Dec 14, 2013
FTW ismyhero wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that better?
Not AB.....no problems installing any of the add-ons. Pages load way faster without all the scripts running.
Come on don't be like that. I'm just sick of being called someone I'm not.
I'm telling people. It makes your browser faster, safer, and less annoying. Did you already use FireFox? Try those other extensions I listed, they help things load faster too. I have been using them for a while now and have had no problems or complaints. Just to let you know you will not stay signed in after you shut-down your browser with some. If that bothers you don't get the cookie extensions. They will however keep your browser speedy and it will help keep it from crashing. If you did not get AdblockPlus I recomend that you do. Adblock Edge gives you a little bit more blocking power but Plus covers almost everything you will encounter.
Aunt Bea

Rochester, NY

#18 Dec 16, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
The solution is simple. Get Firefox and install AdBlock and NoScript. It is free and effective. Both make using the internet more enjoyable and safer. They also have both for Opera. Just upgrade and these issues will not matter to you anymore.
FTW

I downloaded firefox like you said. I got everything but ad block, I now have about ten more short cuts on the front of my computer. Icant do anything on the computer with out something from these new programs interupting and now it is running slower than ever.
I am not computer literate
Can you tell me how to uninstall all these programs? I have tryed and all the new firefox stuff stops me or opens some new short cut up. Nothing but agrivation since friday night
Please help

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#19 Dec 16, 2013
Aunt Bea wrote:
<quoted text>
FTW
I downloaded firefox like you said. I got everything but ad block, I now have about ten more short cuts on the front of my computer. Icant do anything on the computer with out something from these new programs interupting and now it is running slower than ever.
I am not computer literate
Can you tell me how to uninstall all these programs? I have tryed and all the new firefox stuff stops me or opens some new short cut up. Nothing but agrivation since friday night
Please help
Sorry about that Aunt Bea. The only one that should be giving you a popup is the Self destructing cookie and it is just a quick one that announces the cookie being destroyed. If your haveing other popups tell me what they are. You might have something malicious that snuck on your computer somewhere else. Anyways Go to the little orange FireFox button on the top left hand corner of the browser. Click it now go to add-ons. A menu page will open. Go to extensions. You should now have all your extensions listed and will have an option to disable them or remove them completely. Do which ever one you want and click the restart. I recommend you disable them and try just running each one by one. That way you can see which ones are causing the problems for you and eliminate just that one or two or what ever. Still get the adblockPlus it will not give you anything but the removal of popups. You my have gotten Linksicle from another sight somewhere not related to FireFox or any of its sights. If you see something called linksicle even if it says firefox Disabled it, let me know. This sneeky little bugger does these types of things you describe and I will need to tell you some other procedures. It might have even been hiding in your computer from a while back and just was able to lauch itself when you installed the new browser. Once again I'm so sorry for your trouble.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#20 Dec 16, 2013
Aunt Bea wrote:
<quoted text>
FTW
I downloaded firefox like you said. I got everything but ad block, I now have about ten more short cuts on the front of my computer. Icant do anything on the computer with out something from these new programs interupting and now it is running slower than ever.
I am not computer literate
Can you tell me how to uninstall all these programs? I have tryed and all the new firefox stuff stops me or opens some new short cut up. Nothing but agrivation since friday night
Please help
Oh by the way when you say shortcuts. do you mean app buttons on your tool bar? If so you can remove just those from the tool bar but they are there so you can access the settings of these extensions easier.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump Bails on NAFTA, Another Broken Promise 1 hr perfect 7
How do I become a IescapedNY? 3 hr IescapedNY 4
Happy 100 Days In Office President Trump 3 hr IescapedNY 9
Wease picks his fights (Jul '15) 4 hr Fox News is never... 929
Fake News Conference 4 hr Howard 9
S. Korea PO'ed Over Missile System Price 4 hr Howard 14
Trump's "Historic Progress" a Lie 4 hr Howard 4

Rochester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rochester Mortgages