SUNY Geneseo student dies

Full story: WHEC-TV Rochester, NY

A SUNY Geneseo student hit by a tractor-trailer last week has died. Lindsay Matthews was a sophomore at the college.
Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated May 24, 2013
ARa

Norwich, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

Do you think it was suicide?
LLL

Webster, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

No, im from geneseo and someone gets hit by a car every year on that road. you're just not thinking, crossing that road 5 times a day.
sjb

Livonia, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Judged:

i've seen MANY college students in geneseo just cross the road at walkways and not without looking, it's too bad this had to happen. Let's hope it wakes the students up that talk on their cell phones or with one another while crossing the roads
Pontillo

Pittsford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Judged:

she was probably drunk
M Reilly

Canandaigua, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Judged:

I hate to see the people like "Pontillo" that automatically assume that this girl was drunk. I'm sure it wasn't done intentionally & it is a little re-assuring that the driver took every step to avoid hitting her. It's a complete shame to see another person pass away at such a young age.
My heart goes to Lindsey's family & friends, as well as the driver & his family.
ginger

Naples, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Judged:

The things I've heard (from the ambulance community) indicate that she did it intentionally. Witnesses (there were many, not just the trucker) say that she was walking along and then stepped suddenly right in front of the truck that she could see clearly considering that it was 10 AM and she was facing the truck.
I feel very sad for her parents, brothers, family and friends.

But I also feel very sad for the Truck Driver and the other witnesses that saw it happen.

This really shows how selfish suicide is- she had no regard for the grief she was leaving behind, no thought for the trauma that she would cause to the truck driver who drove the instrument of her death, and the other people who would witness it. She also didn't give a thought to the people driving the cars that the heavy salt truck could have killed while trying to avoid her.

If this was suicide, I hope that the college will use this as a teaching opportunity, and not ignore it and sweep it under the rug.

It would seem that even smart young people like Lindsey lack the perspective that comes with age and experience to realize that anything can be overcome. And that the cliche is so true-- Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
ARa

Norwich, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

Judged:

ginger wrote:
The things I've heard (from the ambulance community) indicate that she did it intentionally. Witnesses (there were many, not just the trucker) say that she was walking along and then stepped suddenly right in front of the truck that she could see clearly considering that it was 10 AM and she was facing the truck.
But I also feel very sad for the Truck Driver and the other witnesses that saw it happen.
This really shows how selfish suicide is- she had no regard for the grief she was leaving behind, no thought for the trauma that she would cause to the truck driver who drove the instrument of her death, and the other people who would witness it. She also didn't give a thought to the people driving the cars that the heavy salt truck could have killed while trying to avoid her.
If this was suicide, I hope that the college will use this as a teaching opportunity, and not ignore it and sweep it under the rug.
It would seem that even smart young people like Lindsey lack the perspective that comes with age and experience to realize that anything can be overcome. And that the cliche is so true-- Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
Well said. Thanks for your response.
Anna

Houghton Le Spring, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2008

For the people who are assuming this was suicide or that she was drunk, please for one moment think how her family would feel if they were to read this. No one knows weather this was intentional so i suggest that you respect what her family and friends are going through at this time. And don't make judgements until you know exactly what happend.
Pontillo

Pittsford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2008

Judged:

I hopemtthey do read it
M Reilly

Canandaigua, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2008

Who the hell is this "Pontillo". It's ridiculous to continue to taunt the people who want to maturely discuss this. Please keep your immature comments to yourself!
In my Prayers

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2008

The Matthews Family is in my prayers... Count your blessings everyone!
Maggie

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

To Ginger:

I don't know all of the details behind this story, but I cannot stand when people act like they know everything surrounds someone's death. Furthermore, even when a person does commit suicide, YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING THROUGH THEIR HEAD!! Most people who commit suicide are suffering from major depressive disorder...it is an awful, real illness, and if you're not treated, you will not be able to think clearly, make rational decisions, or even believe that anyone will care when you're dead. I suggest you stop judging and educate yourself a bit more.
frank

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2008

I am a father of two young girls myself and I know this girls father, I am very upset that people are saying these things about this young lady without even knowing anything about her. I can only imagine what it would be like and to hear people say such things would be unbearable. Shame on them.
M Reilly wrote:
I hate to see the people like "Pontillo" that automatically assume that this girl was drunk. I'm sure it wasn't done intentionally & it is a little re-assuring that the driver took every step to avoid hitting her. It's a complete shame to see another person pass away at such a young age.
My heart goes to Lindsey's family & friends, as well as the driver & his family.
a Mother

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2008

Mind your own business and think for a minute if this was your child. You are an insensitive person with no consideration for anyone but yourself. Mind your own business!!!
ginger wrote:
Hello

South Amboy, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 3, 2008

ginger wrote:
Really you talked to the "ambulance community" how the hell would the "ambulance community" know about what happened when they got there AFTER the fact. It sickens me that people who love and care about Lindsay and her family are reading the dumb things you wrote. I know for a fact you never met Lindsay and you have no idea what your saying. There were TWO witnesses dumbass and the only people who talked to them were the FBI so dont act like you know what your talking about. You should feel ashamed that you would write something about a person you dont even know about a tragedy that has shocked a community. How would you feel if you were the family reading this? You disgust me.
erica

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2009

Pontillo wrote:
she was probably drunk
seriously she was prob drunk? this occured during the day, and if you knew lindsay she was not like that. please dont sit here and say its suicide or say anything nasty about lindsay. just let her rest in peace. her family doesnt need to read or even hear this BS. stop and be respectful to the matthews family.
erica

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2009

ginger wrote:
you say that their are "many witnesses" and if this is so then why are they not coming forward and telling what they saw happen, so that this family can be at peace and not wonder everyday of their lives what happened to lindsay??
erica

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2009

lindsay matthews was a beautiful woman. she was a fantastic student with a 4.0. she loved children and sports. i wish that all of you that are writing these mean and untrue things could have known lindsay. i cant even explain how great her family is: karen, ian scotty and mark. please be respectful to them. it would break my heart to ever find out that any of them see this.

for one sec put urself in their shoes, and just think about if this was your daughter, sister, girlfriend, or so on?
James and Sandy

Lockport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2013

your probably an idiot, for you didnt know her!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

51 Users are viewing the Rochester Forum right now

Search the Rochester Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Man dies in demolition derby accident (Jul '09) 22 min Austin 26
Former NFL star announces Rochester plans 27 min dew4794 21
Witness to arrest that triggered riots 37 min rePIGpublican 2
Rachel Barnhart Much Better Than Bob Lonsberry 51 min Rachel Fan 4
Rochester marks 50th anniversary of race riots 1 hr rePIGpublican 3
Should WHAM1180 Replace Bob Lonsberry with Rach... 1 hr rePIGpublican 2
To Darlene 3 hr Steel City Steelers 6
•••
•••