Four Stabbed Leaving Lilac Fest
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Quacker Bearal

Rochester, NY

#52 May 24, 2013
Steel City Steelers wrote:
<quoted text>I don't have a phobia of blacks, Crotchety. I have a phobia of criminals. Hysteria, huh? You make a laughing stock of yourself by constantly trying to spin and deny.
You still have answered the question.
What facts did I change or deny?
Grady Stiles

United States

#54 May 24, 2013
Quacker Bearal wrote:
<quoted text>
When you can't win, throw an insult.
Ok let me give you the facts so you don't have to make the up as you go along.
The City moniker was changed from flour to flower in the 1850's due to Rochester being the home of the largest seed companies in the U.S., if not the world at the time.
The first Lilacs weren't plant in Highland Pk until 1892 and the first festival wasn't until 1898.
Like I said the Lilacs have nothing to do with the name. The City had name forty something years prior to the first TREE being planted.
So why do you think the city still carries the flower city name a century after the nursery business dried up? It's because the flower heritage has been carried on the part 100 years with the Lilac Fest. I'm glad to see you're trying to learn Rochester's history this afternoon via Wikipedia, however I actually learned all this many years ago. Nice backpedaling try though.
Grady Stiles

United States

#55 May 24, 2013
Btw, the purple scented blossoming thing the festival celebrates is a flower, just in case you can't figure that out.
WTF

Rochester, NY

#56 May 24, 2013
Between this and the RTS Ribfest thread it's been fun to see Grady own Rhonda all day long.
Quacker Bearal

Rochester, NY

#57 May 24, 2013
Grady Stiles wrote:
First lilac fest was in 1908. Learn to read.
Not I but you need to....both the written and word and maps.
Quacker Bearal

Rochester, NY

#58 May 24, 2013
Grady Stiles wrote:
I actually learned all this many years ago.
Yeah OK!
Grady Stiles

United States

#59 May 24, 2013
Quacker Bearal wrote:
<quoted text>
Not I but you need to....both the written and word and maps.
Since you like Wikipedia so much..."The inspiration for the festival dates to 1898 when 3,000 people came to the park one Sunday in May to see the lilacs. Ten years later, 25,000 people came to the first organized lilac festival."

So STFU.
Grady Stiles

United States

#60 May 24, 2013
WTF wrote:
Between this and the RTS Ribfest thread it's been fun to see Grady own Rhonda all day long.
I know. LMFAO.
Quacker Bearal

Rochester, NY

#61 May 24, 2013
Grady Stiles wrote:
<quoted text>So why do you think the city still carries the flower city name a century after the nursery business dried up? It's because the flower heritage has been carried on the part 100 years with the Lilac Fest.
If that were the case, which it isn't. Would it make more sense that sometime over the last 100 years the City would have been renamed the "Lilac City" or the "Lilac Fest City".....even though the trees only bloom for 2 weeks or less a year.
WTF

Rochester, NY

#62 May 24, 2013
Grady Stiles

United States

#63 May 24, 2013
WTF wrote:
http://www.democratandchronicl e.com/article/20090507/LIVING/ 905070334/-1/specials46/Ellwan ger+and+Barry+gift+has+lasted+ more+than+a+century
Thank you. No mention of the "tree festival" or "Rochester - the tree city", I see. Lmfao.
Quacker Bearal

Rochester, NY

#64 May 24, 2013
Grady Stiles wrote:
<quoted text>Since you like Wikipedia so much..."The inspiration for the festival dates to 1898 when 3,000 people came to the park one Sunday in May to see the lilacs. Ten years later, 25,000 people came to the first organized lilac festival."

So STFU.
So what's your point? Other than you Telly don't have one.
Grady Stiles

United States

#65 May 24, 2013
What FLOWER do most people associate with Rochester? Is it the Oak flower? Maybe the Maple flower? Hmmm...maybe it's the Birch flower. Oh wait...those are TREES. I'm pretty sure the FLOWER they think of is the LILAC.
Grady Stiles

United States

#66 May 24, 2013
Quacker Bearal wrote:
<quoted text>
So what's your point? Other than you Telly don't have one.
The first organized lilac festival was in 1908. Even when you're dead wrong (which is almost always) you'll never admit it. You had the wrong date.

Steel City Steelers

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#67 May 24, 2013
Lilac is a shrub. A tree has one trunk while a shrub has more than one. Oh Crotchety. Wrong again. What shall we do with you? How's that foot taste? Dumb da dumb dumb dumb!
Grady Stiles

United States

#68 May 24, 2013
Steel City Steelers wrote:
Lilac is a shrub. A tree has one trunk while a shrub has more than one. Oh Crotchety. Wrong again. What shall we do with you? How's that foot taste? Dumb da dumb dumb dumb!
Exactly.
Quacker Bearal

Rochester, NY

#69 May 24, 2013
Grady Stiles wrote:
What FLOWER do most people associate with Rochester? Is it the Oak flower? Maybe the Maple flower? Hmmm...maybe it's the Birch flower. Oh wait...those are TREES. I'm pretty sure the FLOWER they think of is the LILAC.
You now know the origin of the name and that Lilacs had nothing to do with it. Why keep going on about it.

Go down to Richard's office on Tuesday and demand that he change it to the Lilac City because that's what we're known for! Not Kodak, Xerox or any number of other things.....
Bloody Horticulturalist

Rochester, NY

#70 Jun 3, 2013
I believe that @1850 Rochester, NY was nicknamed "Flower City" from "Flour City" sue to the number of seed companies, plant nurseries and the decline of the flour mill operations. Later on, Rochester has become well known for its lilacs.
gbs

Fairport, NY

#72 Apr 8, 2014
I wonder what will happen at this years event

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Family fights for changes to Chili intersection... 47 min Bovenzi13 3
News Rochester mayor hospitalized due to allergic re... 4 hr Bovenzi13 9
Prom Queen Rachel Barnhart Sued Over Unpaid Bills 4 hr Bovenzi13 11
12 Disgusting Browns take knee during natioanl ... 5 hr IescapedNY 17
Europeein-American babysitter sexually abused t... 6 hr CityRes 1
Europeein-American arrested for road rage, coca... 7 hr CityRes 1
Hillary says Trump a "creep" in new book: Hahaha 8 hr Jimmy 1

Rochester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance