Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

I've been critical of Republican tactics and messaging this week, so let's give credit where it's due: Moments ago, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell took to the floor and offered an immediate vote on President Obama's fiscal cliff plan, which shocked the Beltway late last week.(In case you're keeping score at home, this was the surreal proposal that induced McConnell to laugh out loud as it was outlined by Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner). Harry Reid quickly objected and shut the whole thing down, labeling the suggestion a "stunt." Think about that. The President of the United States, a Democrat, crafted a fiscal cliff package that would give him everything he wants. It has tax hikes on the rich. It has huge tax hikes on investments and estates. It has more stimulus spending. It has no meaningful, specific, or guaranteed spending cuts. And it compels Congress to cede control of the debt ceiling to him. This is "fairness" on steroids. The Senate's top Republican proposed an up-or-down vote on everything the president wants, yet Democrats, who control the upper chamber, instantly blocked it. By what definition is it a "stunt" to hold a vote on the president's full, public plan? The White House has insisted it's a serious document, yet Hill Democrats don't want it to see the light of day.
[The president's plan] was so ridiculous, as I’ve said, it wouldn’t even pass the House under Nancy Pelosi. And that’s why even the most liberal members of Congress, the President’s most ardent supporters, haven’t come forward to support it.
more
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2012/1...

Funny.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

If the President’s proposal was made in good faith, Democrats should be eager to vote for it. So I’m surprised the Majority Leader just declined the chance for them to support it with their votes. I guess we’re left to conclude that it couldn’t even pass by a bare majority of votes, and that they’d rather take the country off the cliff than actually work out a good-faith agreement that reflects tough choices on both sides.

Democrats are so focused on the politics of this debate they seem to forget there’s a cost. They’re feeling so good about the election, they’ve forgotten they’ve got a duty to govern. A lot of people are going to suffer a lot if we go off this cliff. That’s why we assumed Democrats wanted to avoid it. We thought it was the perfect opportunity to do something together. Apparently we were wrong.

UPDATE - Reid: The Obama proposal doesn't exist. Geithner: "We laid out a very detailed set of proposals." How pathetic.

UPDATE II - Video, via Greg:

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2012/1...

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2012

The only stunt is the one being pulled by the Liberals and this insane Administration.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

44 Users are viewing the Rochester Forum right now

Search the Rochester Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
wease cares foundation (Jan '09) 3 min Semper Fi Forever 160
Deletion Police Working Overnight Here 5 min Rochiraq 2
J-Mac: More than just a retard 19 min Rochiraq 11
Supreme Court Rules Against Affirmative Action 39 min Kurt 7
How Chicago Became ‘Chiraq’ 1 hr Ha Ha 9
Kelly Barron / divorse from Rivera (Jan '13) 1 hr Suzie 12
White Bills Fan Robs Bank 2 hr Ha Ha 2
•••
•••