What happened to the "Apple Picking" thread...and WHY?

Posted in the Rochester Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

There was a thread that referenced and had a link to WHEC's story about "Apple Picking". Which is a new term to describe theives who steal cell phones right out of people's hands. Soooo...why was it removed? Tell us, Moderators...why? Seems to me the moderators on here want no stories that involve crime committed by mainly blacks. I'm sure this one will also disappear. And while you're at it, Moderators, tell your "Roboblogger" to stop starting stories involving crimes committed by blacks. "He/she" is YOUR employee, after all.
YXMDFGLN

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

I don't know. It was pretty tame compared to some of these other threads. It was turning into more of an Android vs. Apple bit than anything else and then all of a sudden ..*POOF*.. it was gone.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Link to "Apple Picking" can be found here...quick...before it mysteriously disappears...
http://www.whec.com/news/stories/s2951396.sht...

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

How to protect yourself from "Apple Picking"

There's an alarming new trend News10NBC wants to tell you about called "Apple Picking.” It has nothing to do with the fruit, instead, it's referring to the theft of Apple products like iPhones and iPads.

Police say thieves are stealing products right out of people's hands as they walk down the street. This happening across the country, but Rochester Police say this kind of thing is happening here too.

Rochester Police say last year they had 254 reported larcenies or robberies involving iPhone or iPads. They only had 87 in 2011. Not all of those thefts occurred while people were actually using their phones.

Assunta Wilson said,“If someone can come up and snatch something from out of your hand, that says something about the times we're living in.”

Call it the purse snatchings of the 21st century. Only these thieves are more interested in your 200-dollar iPhone than they are in your cash.

Chief James Sheppard, Rochester Police, said,“Think of it as walking down the street with a $100 bill in your hand. Who would do that? No one. So why would you do that with your cell phone?”

And it's happening across the country.

Chief James Sheppard says in the past year, they've noticed a significant rise in cell phone thefts in the city and these thieves mean business. They'll snatch it right out of your hand mid-text.

Chief James Sheppard said,“A lot of times people are on the phone when it occurs. Somebody runs up and snatches it out of their hand or knocks them to the ground and takes their phone.”

Chief Sheppard says you can download tracking apps on your phone to help find it after it's stolen and the police will help you get it back, but thieves these days are finding ways around even that.

Chief Sheppard said,“There was a time where we could find where that phone was taken and now when they're taken they know what to do immediately so we can't follow through with the technology.”

The chief says there's a huge black market for cell phones specifically iPhones.
The phones can be wiped for $50 and sold for $100 to $200 and the targets here in downtown Rochester are college students.

Chief Sheppard said,“We have a lot of students downtown and they like to show off their new products.”
http://www.whec.com/news/stories/s2951396.sht...

Some people just arnt happy with their "FREE"
Obama phones.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Quick Grady! Let me in on the "I'm back!" Secret before I get booted for being honest! Lolol! ;)

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

"The chief says there's a huge black market for cell phones specifically iPhones.
The phones can be wiped for $50 and sold for $100 to $200 and the targets here in downtown Rochester are college students."

The Mayor and Rhondas Uncle, Chief Uncle Tom always say downtown is so safe and MCC should stay downtown.
And now Rhonda's Uncle, Chief Uncle Tom is saying they target downtown college students?

Hmmm

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

Grady Stiles wrote:
I like how they more or less blamed the victims for "flashing the phones around" by texting and talking on them. LOL. These are the same idiots that blame rape on the victims for dressing "too damn sexy".
I couldn't agree more! How dare people walk downtown talking on their cell phones! What an outrage! There ought to be a law against talking on your cell phone while walking the streets of downtown Rottenchester!!! Cuomo needs to get on that!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

IescapedNY wrote:
"The chief says there's a huge black market for cell phones specifically iPhones.
The phones can be wiped for $50 and sold for $100 to $200 and the targets here in downtown Rochester are college students."
The Mayor and Rhondas Uncle, Chief Uncle Tom always say downtown is so safe and MCC should stay downtown.
And now Rhonda's Uncle, Chief Uncle Tom is saying they target downtown college students?
Hmmm
Too true, too true! How dare these college students walk around downtown with their cell phones! There oughta be a law, I say! Maybe put up "Cell phone cameras" where their picture is taken and put the fine directly on their cell phone bill without allowing them to answer to the supposed crime? Judge, jury and executioner! Perfect!
Foot Liquor

Rochester, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2013

Judged:

stupid people thread.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

11 Users are viewing the Rochester Forum right now

Search the Rochester Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for U.S. Senate in New York ... (Oct '10) 5 hr Libs killed NY-Ca-Detroit 6,320
Scrutiny of Arrest Caught Tape 6 hr The man 4
Black Teen charged with Rape 7 hr Tyrone 2
Less Drunks Needed at 7 hr BlueEyedEllie 2
White Racist Talk Radio Hosts FIRED 8 hr Jacquetta 28
Mothers allowed to breastfeed in Barnes & Noble 9 hr Knicks Beau June Eeyore 2
Black Mayor gets 10 years in Prison 9 hr The KURGAN 4
•••
•••
•••
•••

Rochester Jobs

•••