cmz

Rochester, NY

#62 Aug 21, 2013
Some more bands, may have missed their mentions, Young Tyrants, Soul Brothers Six, Group Ltd,
The Heard (Original poster said Herd), Gene
Cornish & Unbeatables, Vistas, Vacqueros,
The Coachmen and many more...
the realist

Las Vegas, NV

#63 Aug 21, 2013
cmz wrote:
Some more bands, may have missed their mentions, Young Tyrants, Soul Brothers Six, Group Ltd,
The Heard (Original poster said Herd), Gene
Cornish & Unbeatables, Vistas, Vacqueros,
The Coachmen and many more...
Gene Cornish & the Unbeatables played mostly out of New Jersey.
Gene Cornish also play in the traveling band for Joey Dee & the Starlighters (Peppermint Twist fame) which is where he met felix cavalerri and eddie brugati of the rascals. The Starlighters traveling band also counted jimmy james, aka jimmy hendrix and joe pesci (home alone & my cousin vinny).
cmz

Rochester, NY

#64 Aug 22, 2013
the realist wrote:
<quoted text>
Gene Cornish & the Unbeatables played mostly out of New Jersey.
Gene Cornish also play in the traveling band for Joey Dee & the Starlighters (Peppermint Twist fame) which is where he met felix cavalerri and eddie brugati of the rascals. The Starlighters traveling band also counted jimmy james, aka jimmy hendrix and joe pesci (home alone & my cousin vinny).
He still grew up in Rochester, his stuff is pretty easy to find here. His first 45 with LONNIE MAE with GENE & HIS SATELITES was on Fine, a Rochester label.
the realist

Las Vegas, NV

#65 Aug 22, 2013
cmz wrote:
<quoted text>
He still grew up in Rochester, his stuff is pretty easy to find here. His first 45 with LONNIE MAE with GENE & HIS SATELITES was on Fine, a Rochester label.
No question, he got his roots in music in Rochester. He moved to Rochester from Ontario, Canada as a young boy. His father had a bait shop on St. Paul Blvd. down near Summerville and he went to Franklin High School. Also, one of the videos of the song about the Freedom Train there's an extra line in ther tat says "watch our Rochester, we're comin' on through". The video is on you tube.
cmz

Rochester, NY

#66 Aug 22, 2013
the realist wrote:
<quoted text>
No question, he got his roots in music in Rochester. He moved to Rochester from Ontario, Canada as a young boy. His father had a bait shop on St. Paul Blvd. down near Summerville and he went to Franklin High School. Also, one of the videos of the song about the Freedom Train there's an extra line in ther tat says "watch our Rochester, we're comin' on through". The video is on you tube.
A bit later on he got involved with the local band the Brass Button, producing a 45 and writing a song for them. I think that
was around 1968.
The one Unbeatables LP is a fake live thing, including some of his 45s, some that were just released under Gene Cornish. It says it was recorded Live At Palisades Amusement Park.
Thanks for the info, going to look for that video.
Jbell46

Hilton, NY

#67 Sep 7, 2013
johnski wrote:
Other popular bars of the 1960 s, 1970 s...Blue Fox located in what is now Wegmans plaza on the corner of Hudson and Titus Ave....Hiney Finklemens on Clinton Ave. North, near Clifford Ave. It was the only bar in Rochester that celebrated Adolf Hitler s birthday...Septembers Place way out Ridge Rd. West headed toward Spencerport...Paupers Den and Tims Tavern in CHILI...Markowskis on oHudson Ave near Draper St.... Bamboo Club downtown East Ave....Bullwinkles on Lake Ave...Maxie s Flyers Club on Scottsville rd...Westminster Inn on East River Rd.(also called Fantasy Swings,Elliots Nest)....Varsity INN on Scotsville rd...Ronnies Suburban Inn off of Jefferson rd...Orange Monkey

Thanks remember most of the clubs back then. I frequented Flyers club always thought it was on w ridge rd
j hamer

Boston, MA

#68 Oct 15, 2013
what about the island cottage party house? i believe the showstoppers played there
Kevin B

Phoenix, AZ

#69 Oct 15, 2013
Bill

Watervliet, NY

#70 Oct 23, 2013
johnski wrote:
Other popular bars of the 1960 s, 1970 s...Blue Fox located in what is now Wegmans plaza on the corner of Hudson and Titus Ave....Hiney Finklemens on Clinton Ave. North, near Clifford Ave. It was the only bar in Rochester that celebrated Adolf Hitler s birthday...Septembers Place way out Ridge Rd. West headed toward Spencerport...Paupers Den and Tims Tavern in CHILI...Markowskis on Hudson Ave near Draper St.... Bamboo Club downtown East Ave....Bullwinkles on Lake Ave...Maxie s Flyers Club on Scottsville rd...Westminster Inn on East River Rd.(also called Fantasy Swings,Elliots Nest)....Varsity INN on Scotsville rd...Ronnies Suburban Inn off of Jefferson rd...Orange Monkey
My Name is Bill My Father and My Uncle "Ralph Mack" owned Macks Flyers Club On Scottsville Road From the Late 50S Till About 67 My Uncle Was Ill And My Dad wanted out! Formally it was Ackermans Flyers Club,I have searched High and low Does Anyone have a picture of the place It would mean alot to me Artist.mgmt@yahoo.com will get to me.
Bill

Watervliet, NY

#71 Oct 23, 2013
Does any one Have A picture of Macks Flyers Club" That was on Scottsville Road My Dad and My uncle "Ralph Mack" owned It from the late 50s till about 1967,If so please email Artist.mgmt@yahoo.com

Would mean alot!
chris

Rochester, NY

#72 Nov 24, 2013
kevin knapp wrote:
one of my favorite bands back then was "the trackers"they were an absolutely fabulous cover band.you thought you were listening to the young rascals or vanilla fudge when they played.....ahhh the old days.....
I remember very well the trackers. They did make a album but cant remember the name of it. Dino Miller was the drummer. Also pat and john.
brett lowden

Sterling, MA

#73 Dec 13, 2013
I really enjoyed reading this thread and it brought back some great memories. I was lucky to see some of the bands my favorite one being typical blimp. they were amazing. although I never got to see them I also really liked wee 4.
neat also to see neal marvel mentioned. I got to jam with him a few times. he had a band with his sisters that I thought was pretty cool.
the quirks were great too.
Nowinnyc

New York, NY

#74 Dec 14, 2013
Gary T wrote:
Anyone remember the name of the house band at Ronnie's Suburban Inn in the late 60's?
Enviroment, I believe. Great 3 piece band.

Since: Apr 09

Kitty Hawk, NC

#75 Dec 14, 2013
j hamer wrote:
what about the island cottage party house? i believe the showstoppers played there
Yah, that's right across from Schaellers. Just an vacant lot now, was there a fire there?
Bill

Watervliet, NY

#76 Dec 30, 2013
IT was actually"Macks"Flyer s Club On Scottsville RD,My Father and Uncle Ralph Mack Owned it in the Late 50s to 66,It was orig "Ackermans" Than for a short time "Rockys Flyers Club" Does anyone Have a picture or newspaper clip.Everything seems to have Vanished!
Jim Schwarz

Rochester, NY

#77 Jan 9, 2014
Kelli wrote:
Anyone care to help me out with any Webster musicians that are still in the area? I am working on a feature about a band member of Toots and Maytals, and they supposedly own a store in Webster...
A guy from The Maytals with a store in Webster? That's news to me, and I know Toots personally, but if it's true I'd love to know more. Toot's road manager, Mike, is originally from Penfield but lives in California.
Just Denny

Medina, NY

#78 Feb 3, 2014
Does anyone remember a band called "Stage 3"? They played at (I think) Caesars II at the corner of Lyell and Dewey.
Jim Schwarz

Rochester, NY

#79 Feb 10, 2014
Just Denny wrote:
Does anyone remember a band called "Stage 3"? They played at (I think) Caesars II at the corner of Lyell and Dewey.
Remember the name 'Stage 3' but can't say I knew any of the members. Certainly do recall Caeser's II....downstairs in the Empire Mall. Lots of red velvet on the walls. My band Mushroom practiced upstairs in the offices of Independent Postal Service (Bob Rice?), where our sax player, Joey Z, worked. Later (1980's) Caeser's II became 'Tiffany's Party' and I played there with MAJESTICS with Rudy Valentino, Ron Stackman and Lou LaVilla. We confused the heck out of them.
Dave S

Farmington, NY

#80 Feb 14, 2014
One of the best, if not the best band of the early seventies was
freedom Tree, with Jimmy Culp, Terry Lasaponara, Louie Fusilli,
Jimmy Gombatto and a great snger named Nancy. They played an
oldies set last and the place went crazy.......also did great Four Seasons medleys.....became a tour band for Ramada Inns.
Steve

Rochester, NY

#81 Feb 22, 2014
old thread, I know. Does anyone remember the "Tycon Teenage Nightclub" ? It was located in the plaza on Clinton avenue just south of Ridge Road.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Garner's Daughter Tweeted Officer's Address 37 min Jokette 25
What does wease cares pay for 1 hr Semper Fi Forever 32
Brother wease el and hate 1 hr Semper Fi Forever 35
A Song For NYPD and The Rest Of The Blue Brothe... 1 hr Jokette 1
True Crime Statistics Summarized (Aug '13) 2 hr Jokette 14
North Korea Calls Obama A 'Monkey' 2 hr Jokette 14
She cries WOLF,We prove BS! 2 hr Jokette 12
Rochester Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web