Gary T

AOL

#42 Aug 5, 2011
that's supposed to be FOR the teens.
judy c

Batavia, NY

#43 Aug 21, 2011
JACK STONE wrote:
ANYONE REMEMBER THE "ROCK " IT WAS JUST A BASEMENT WITH A BAR I cant remember exactly where it was maybe Portland and ridge rd? help
It was on Hudson Ave. across from th e Northparl Drive - in. I couldn't go there because I was underage
johnski

Rochester, NY

#44 Aug 30, 2011
Additional bars of the 70s and 80s were the RAMADA INN and Paupers Den on Chili ave. THE LYELL AVE Bars were (from spencerport to rochester) were TEDDY BEARS CAROUSEL LOUNGE, BRICK LOUNGE and GOLDEN ROOSTER near the old DELCO Auto plant,Cordial Lounge, BLUE&WHITE tavern, DELBOS HOTEL......ON JEFFERSON RD> Henrietta were ORANGE MONKEY, RED CREEK, RONNIES SUBURBAN INN....In Irondequoit were FLEET STREET PUBLICAN, Fountainbleau (changed to SILVER TORTOISE) The KEG, POST and PADDOCK,..GARAGE DOOR.. other bars,...GREEN STREETS near(12corners)..,BASILS,.. GRUMPYS MENS ROOM (609 Broad st)...ESTHERS on Ridgeway Ave... The Portico on St. Paul Blvd.,SUTTERS MILL Main St near Goodman,..Thurston Grill,... "747" on West Henrietta rd...THe CLUB 2001 (town of CHILI),.. FIRESIDE on Monroe Ave. ENCORE CLUB on Lake Ave. near ramp, JOHNNY CHECKOS (changed to RED EYE and EDS CIRCUS) on Hudson near Pulaski St.,THE CAVE on Ridge Rd. West GREECE,
Bill

Webster, NY

#45 Oct 9, 2011
JACK STONE wrote:
ANYONE REMEMBER THE "ROCK " IT WAS JUST A BASEMENT WITH A BAR I cant remember exactly where it was maybe Portland and ridge rd? help
The 'Rock' was a social gathering place located on the railroad tracks on Ridge Road East in the Town of Irondequoit, NY. Its location is historic because it was formerly known as the Irondequoit Coal and Supply Company, a company dating back to the 1910's or 1920's whose main business was delivering coal to customers who had coal fired furnaces in their homes. The exact location is difficult to describe but the next best way to locate the building (still there/10/11) is to say it is on Ridge Road East between Clinton Ave. N and St. Paul Blvd.
Gary T

AOL

#46 Oct 10, 2011
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
The 'Rock' was a social gathering place located on the railroad tracks on Ridge Road East in the Town of Irondequoit, NY. Its location is historic because it was formerly known as the Irondequoit Coal and Supply Company, a company dating back to the 1910's or 1920's whose main business was delivering coal to customers who had coal fired furnaces in their homes. The exact location is difficult to describe but the next best way to locate the building (still there/10/11) is to say it is on Ridge Road East between Clinton Ave. N and St. Paul Blvd.
Wasn't it next to Harry's Hots (west side) and shared a parking lot with them?
Gary T

AOL

#47 Oct 15, 2011
Anyone remember the name of the house band at Ronnie's Suburban Inn in the late 60's?
Pat Capriotti

Webster, NY

#48 Nov 24, 2011
JACK STONE wrote:
well it was lots of fun back then...I cant remember
the owners name at the 414 club natty and may that's all I remember. anyone here remember a guitar player
by the name Neal marvel?
Ralph was the bartender at the 414 and became the owner I think... Did I dance with you?
Michelle Marvel Delibert

Parrish, FL

#49 Jul 6, 2012
Neal was my dad. I now live in Florida and met a couple from Rochester who remembered my dad well. Made me curious how many others remembered him, and his talent. I googled, and found your quote. Curious now if you'll ever see it since you posted it over a year ago.
JACK STONE wrote:
well it was lots of fun back then...I cant remember
the owners name at the 414 club natty and may that's all I remember. anyone here remember a guitar player
by the name Neal marvel?
Gil

Altamonte Springs, FL

#50 Jul 14, 2012
before the varsity Inn, it was Bengals Inn(?) at the end of St. paul Blvd in "Summervile>
The bands there were usually the Playboys and the invictas. Bengals had an occupancy listed at 90 people, but on friday or saturday night, 150 was par for the course. the memories, the mud in the parking area, the fights....
Then the VI opened, an Bengals all but slammed the door.
The VI usually had the Rustix, the Howse,(renamed the House).
I remember the 414. Introduced my wifes friend to my friend. They married and were together for 40 years.
Anybody remember the beer blasts at U of R or RIT. with Wilmer and the Dukes?(They were based in Geneva.
A correction to a post above. gene cornish's father (Max) owned a bait and tackle shop on Clinton Ave, one block south of Norton. I grew up one street away and bouht my fishing gear and bait there. nice man.....
MaggieMae

Lock Haven, PA

#51 Jul 23, 2012
I remember a band called Oxford Watchband...there was a jimmy that played keyboard and brass...Can't remember last name?
denis b

Webster, NY

#52 Aug 22, 2012
Just Denny wrote:
How about the Parliament Lounge and Main Squeeze? Lex Byers was the singer (Coupe de Villes)
hey dennis..........the parliment lounge was a good old place - in a bowling alley??........i remember seeing this guy an his small band sing all doors'' u would swear it was jim morrison. looks/voice etc.He was terrific....thing is no one new what the name of the band was!!!.......this was in 69-70 71ish....always had me thinking if it was him--u never know???
ferd

Rochester, NY

#53 Aug 22, 2012
Anyone ever follow The Lifters?
They did a set of Tull, complete with flute that was unbelievable! Bear was just as good as Ian!
The lead guitarist Jim was so good - he should have made it big.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#54 Aug 22, 2012
Anyone remember the band called Easy Streets? They were pretty good and put on a good show.
andi contestable piazza

Windermere, FL

#55 Jan 21, 2013
i sang for many years... nugget ..vals lounge..teddy bears....the cave..etc... my bands.. wonderful day ..day break..x liberus.. just us..i then went on the road in 76 with the apple band toured for over 20 years ..lived in atlantic city then back to rochester in 96..now live in florida where i book dinner shows.. ( legendary night of the stars ) and mystery dinner shows..) worked with the best musicians.. the very best.. what amazing wonderful memories....
Mark Powers

Rochester, NY

#56 Jun 8, 2013
Love all the previous comments. Anyone recall a place on St. Paul St. Downtown called Mystical Dreams? My favorite band of the era was Rainbow which became Rain. They played at and recorded an album at The Towne House on Mt. Hope.
Only denis

Pittsford, NY

#57 Jun 25, 2013
great post here........but tells not forget Duke Jupiter and Old Salt......2 good bands that played in the early 70's......anyone remember them?
Alice

Carrollton, TX

#58 Jul 18, 2013
JACK STONE wrote:
ANY BODY REMEMBER THE 414 CLUB ON RIDGE RD W. ROCHESTER NY? IT WAS THE PLACE TO BE AT BETWEEN 1959-1970 my FRIEND AND i where the first group to convince the owners to play there we played in the front window.we went by the name "play boys" or the blue notes. does anyone remember the Jerry j trio ?
I remember dancing to Jerry J ("Goin' to the River") and Gene Cornish used to play there before becoming famous also. I was 14 but had a fake ID.
Alice

Carrollton, TX

#59 Jul 18, 2013
I still have a copy of an album by the Rustix
Kevin B-Phoenix AZ

Phoenix, AZ

#60 Jul 29, 2013
Oh the nostalgic memories of the Bands and the Venues!!
I'll add in case anyone left out:
The Cave-on W.Ridge Rd-Lex Byers pre group Vegas band "Masquerade"with Rich Fiordeliso on B3,Marty Dorren on bass,Reinhart Brucker on drums,2 or 3 horn players.I cant remember guitar player.Sets ended in"mmmmm-PIZZA!"
Parlient Lounge(I think in Henrietta)-Jay Capozzi's group "Pride and Joy"Jim Barton on B3 and Al Marino before or after Jim on B3-cant remember who was on drums(Might have been Phil Block) and guitar player
Maxwells Silver Hammer-Jefferson Rd.
Brick and Nail-Lyell Ave-Can still smell in the club the Ragu plant next door cooking up the sauce nights(before it was commercialized and sent out of state)Mostly saw Illusion with Louie Fusilli lead vocals/sax/flute/comedy,Tom Meara-guitar/vocals,Jim Kulp-B3/vocals,Ron Allessi-Drums and Marlane Panarites-lead vocals/harmony.Great group especially their infamous"Scorcha Balla"set.Also saw them at:
Fontainbleu club-I think on St Paul on Durrand side of Stutson st.bridge.
I have some pretty decent live recordings on cassette tape that I recorded on my then new Superscope Stereo cassette recorder! I'm converting these to MP3's before the tapes decompose.These recordings are of Illusion at Ramada Inn,Brick and Nail and Fontainbleu,Pride and Joy at Holiday Inn's Turn of Century Lounge,and Masquerade at THE CAVE-February 1977.All these recordings were around 1975-1978 era.I used to carry 12Au7 tubes and small parts in my car for fixing the Hammond players B3's.A few times it saved a sick organ!
It would be great if someone could start a website where we could post these recordings for all to enjoy and reminice.They bring me back to sitting at the club with friends listening and dancing those carefree years!
Kevin B. kellyspotty at gmail
big carl

Rochester, NY

#61 Aug 17, 2013
JACK STONE wrote:
-----hudson ave near where expressway is -there was two guys store there and palcester's bar there

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Praise, complaints as RTS Transit Center opens 1 hr HandsUpDontShoot 1
Ferguson protestors burned down Midtown Plaza 1 hr Jethro 5
Alan Morrell, The Spaghetti Warehouse and Black... 2 hr HandsUpDontShoot 1
meh 2 hr raindowwhaloth 1
what dirty fking n *****gg******rs need 2 hr Gary 1
13 Wham Refuse to Include Mugshot of White Murd... 3 hr Racistrhonda Crot... 3
10WHEC Warn Whites the dangers of Fentanyl whil... 4 hr RacistFireCrotchB... 1
Mayor Lovely Warren Angers RPD 6 hr Edina 50
Rochester Dating
Find my Match