1960's Rochester Bands
MrBonex

Haverhill, MA

#21 Dec 22, 2009
Typical Blimp!!!! One of the best for sure!

Their version of River Deep, Mountain High is still the best ever.

That's assuming that my memory is any good.

Cool on Mrs. Poncho! Any word about the others?

Anyone remember Whale?
Uncle Sam

Edison, NJ

#22 Jun 3, 2010
Bristol Mt. forever - The Showstoppers and the Dukes at Bristol mt. Priceless. Half the audience was under 18 (fake id's - the drinking age in NYS was 18 then. Remember that fried chicken?
The Realist

AOL

#23 Jan 9, 2011
Lou Gramm became famous as the lead signer with Foreigner, then blew his voice.

Don Potter, the last time I knew was still in Nashville and is/was known as the "most productive man in Nashville". Also, supposedly created "The Judd's" sound.

Bat McGrath also went to Nashville and wrote many songs. Some for Wynonna Judd and Kenny Rogers. He wrote the lyrics for Chuck Mangione's "Friends and Love" and performed in the concert.
jim

North Chili, NY

#24 Jan 21, 2011
what happend to Mac Beth who played at the brass rail and The Club on gould st.etc.etc
john wrubleski

Canandaigua, NY

#25 Mar 10, 2011
I used to be a waiter at KING COLES on Main St. near Mustard st,(frenchs mustard)...I seen there The Invictas, the Rogues, Wilmer and the DUKES. But the top bars in the city were "Tinys Bengal Inn, way down St. Paul, Two different bars called "DUFFY s", one on Monroe and Marshall , the other on Franklin near Clinton, The 414 on Ridge Rd. West near Dewey, and the ARCH LOUNGE and Peppermint Lounge both on Clinton Av. North . The BRASS RAIL on Dewey near Ridge rd. West featured POOR HEART (sounded like 3 dog night) with Lou Gramm as one of the singers, and THE SCENE, featuring LOUIE Phassili, lead sax man; (they sounded like Chicago Transit Authority,later CHICAGO).....this era is from 1962 till 1970....JohnSki
broadway joe

Laguna Hills, CA

#26 Mar 29, 2011
remember The Jokers Wild
Just Denny

Honeoye Falls, NY

#28 Apr 14, 2011
How about the Parliament Lounge and Main Squeeze? Lex Byers was the singer (Coupe de Villes)
Just Denny

Honeoye Falls, NY

#29 Apr 14, 2011
I saw them at Maxwells Silver Hammer on Jefferson Rd for their last gig.....Fantastic!!
68th

Honeoye Falls, NY

#30 Apr 14, 2011
Just D wrote:
The guy asking the question about the Bars of the 70's got me to thinking.What ever happened to the members of The Quirks, The Herd, Showstoppers, Oxford Watchband, Brass Buttons, etc.? There was alot of talent back then. I know Don Potter (Showstoppers) has his own Christian ministry now, and Bat McGrath (Showstoppers) is still in the area-Naples I think, The Invictas are still jammin on occasion. I remember Lou Grammitico (Lou Gramm)was in (i think) Black Sheep(?) and his brother Benny played drums AND trumpet "the same time!!" with (again, I think) the Oxford Watchband. It would be great to have some of these guys get back together again at one of the old clubs, wouldn't it?
Thanks for this thread. I grew up in the late 70's early 80's. I missed alot of this. Be grateful you got to experience Rochester then. It was a special time.
JACK STONE

AOL

#31 Apr 30, 2011
ANY BODY REMEMBER THE 414 CLUB ON RIDGE RD W. ROCHESTER NY? IT WAS THE PLACE TO BE AT BETWEEN 1959-1970 my FRIEND AND i where the first group to convince the owners to play there we played in the front window.we went by the name "play boys" or the blue notes. does anyone remember the Jerry j trio ?
JACK STONE

AOL

#32 Apr 30, 2011
I can remember when Gene Cornish played at the 414 club ridge rd west Rochester NY his mother had to be with him cause of his age at the time. his father ran a bate shop on ST PAUL ST in ROCHESTER NY. I wonder why
Gene doesn't mention Rochester or his father and mother.
JACK STONE

AOL

#33 Apr 30, 2011
ANYONE REMEMBER THE "ROCK " IT WAS JUST A BASEMENT WITH A BAR I cant remember exactly where it was maybe Portland and ridge rd? help
JACK STONE

AOL

#34 Apr 30, 2011
well it was lots of fun back then...I cant remember
the owners name at the 414 club natty and may that's all I remember. anyone here remember a guitar player
by the name Neal marvel?
jimethek

Rochester, NY

#35 May 11, 2011
Thanks for the memories! Loved the Trackers, Rustix, Brass Buttons...remember the Hangmen? Loved 'em.'Peppermint Shoelace', great cover band. Tony Billo (guitarist) played some great Beatles riffs. Another happening guitarist was Mike Iovine. Played AND looked like Jimi Hendrix. What band was he in?
The Realist

AOL

#36 May 12, 2011
JACK STONE wrote:
I can remember when Gene Cornish played at the 414 club ridge rd west Rochester NY his mother had to be with him cause of his age at the time. his father ran a bate shop on ST PAUL ST in ROCHESTER NY. I wonder why
Gene doesn't mention Rochester or his father and mother.
Gene was originally from Ottawa, Canada. He and his mother moved to Rochester in the late 50's. They lived on the Northeast side of the city and he attended Franklin High School. The bate shop owner may have been his step father? The only time I really heard him mention Rochester was on a recording of "People Gotta Be Free". If you listen closely right at the end there is a verse that is spoken, about the "Train of freedom" arriving. The last line is "look out Rochester,'cause it's a'commin' right on through". It was not in the original lyrics, which were written by Felix Cavaliere so it could be an improvisation by Cornish on the recording.
Mac

Orlando, FL

#37 May 31, 2011
Back in the 60's in the Rochester NY area there were some great places for teen dances and a lot of great bands. Rochester was a hot bed for great talent.Some of the places I remember were Guy's and Doll's and The Chili Grange There were many more.
johnski

Rochester, NY

#38 Jun 13, 2011
JACK STONE wrote:
ANYONE REMEMBER THE "ROCK " IT WAS JUST A BASEMENT WITH A BAR I cant remember exactly where it was maybe Portland and ridge rd? help
YES....it was located by the cemetary near WAL MARTS, near HUDSON and Ridge rd EAST.....it was called the ROCK TAVERN, in the 50s and 60s
johnski

Rochester, NY

#39 Aug 4, 2011
Other popular bars of the 1960 s, 1970 s...Blue Fox located in what is now Wegmans plaza on the corner of Hudson and Titus Ave....Hiney Finklemens on Clinton Ave. North, near Clifford Ave. It was the only bar in Rochester that celebrated Adolf Hitler s birthday...Septembers Place way out Ridge Rd. West headed toward Spencerport...Paupers Den and Tims Tavern in CHILI...Markowskis on Hudson Ave near Draper St.... Bamboo Club downtown East Ave....Bullwinkles on Lake Ave...Maxie s Flyers Club on Scottsville rd...Westminster Inn on East River Rd. (also called Fantasy Swings,Elliots Nest)....Varsity INN on Scotsville rd...Ronnies Suburban Inn off of Jefferson rd...Orange Monkey
Alex Affronti

Decatur, GA

#40 Aug 4, 2011
I loved The Trackers. I used to take guitar lessons from Lou Poggi, the guitarist.
Gary T

AOL

#41 Aug 5, 2011
Does anyone remember Hotel DeMay on Latta Rd. & North Greece Rd.- Sunday afternoon or the teens with Wilmer Alexander and the Fabulous Dukes.
And, the party room at Gates Bowl on Saturday night. The Rustix played there often. I always liked Albie singing "Free Again"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Deserves To Be President Of IescapedNY,s Fa... 2 min Ha Ha 5
RPD: RCSD teacher robbed by 16-year-old during ... 15 min Tim 4
Fair port is a racist town 19 min Truth hurts liber... 97
City living. One shooting, one stabbing last ni... 2 hr City Living 1
Boys & Girls Club mass shooting trial to begin ... 2 hr Endora 2
Why do my threads get hot? Because Rochester tr... 4 hr perfect 9
marvs pizzeria park ave. 4 hr perfect 18
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rochester Mortgages