Firefighter who ran out of oxygen on ...

Firefighter who ran out of oxygen on the job back on duty tonight

There are 21 comments on the WHEC-TV Rochester, NY story from Jan 15, 2008, titled Firefighter who ran out of oxygen on the job back on duty tonight. In it, WHEC-TV Rochester, NY reports that:

Last night a Rochester firefighter ran out of oxygen and was in danger of collapsing inside a burning home.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHEC-TV Rochester, NY.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
ChiliResident

Rochester, NY

#1 Jan 15, 2008
Thank You Firefighter Jeff Simpson and all the firefighters for all you do. My heart stopped when I saw this on the news. God was surely on your side that night.
ProudResident

Honeoye Falls, NY

#2 Jan 16, 2008
Thank you for all that you do Firefighters.

I wish they would stop saying "oxygen"....bottles arent filled with 100% oxygen....these news stations need to research things.

“The Wise One”

Since: Sep 07

The Heart of the Heartland

#3 Jan 16, 2008
I'm glad the firefighter is OK...
We appreciate your efforts.
A Firefighter

Petersburg, OH

#4 Jan 16, 2008
When are reporters/going to learn that firefighters DO NOT carry oxygen in bottles on their backs. It is plain compressed and purified air.
Lt Broglin Suffolk FD-VA

Suffolk, VA

#5 Jan 16, 2008
Congratulations to Jeff and the Brothers from Rochester Fire Department. A lot of guys thinks that this will never happen to them until it does. I hope I never experience what you did, but if I do I hope the outcome is the same.
Stay Safe!
His Wife

Rochester, NY

#6 Jan 16, 2008
ChiliResident wrote:
Thank You Firefighter Jeff Simpson and all the firefighters for all you do. My heart stopped when I saw this on the news. God was surely on your side that night.
Thank you for your heart felt words. His 6 & 7 year old girls and I truely believe that someone was on his side that night and every night these firemen get on their trucks. To us they are hero's, to them its just their job, what they are trained for. They never think twice about it.

They need each other, their lives depend on it. Their brotherhood bond is strong, their hearts are big, their minds are fearless, their sense of humor is off the charts. They are humble, compasionate, hard driven, and loved.

Without a doubt they love their jobs, they thrive for it. We love them more for their want and need to serve YOU.

To the firemen who put the ladder up to that window, THANK YOU!!!!
Jim

Florence, KY

#7 Jan 16, 2008
Did he have his tanked turned on all the way? This happens quite frequently, firefighters get anxious and dont turn their bottles all the way on. This will make the vibe alert in the scott packs not last long and result in mask sucking to your face. Know from expierence.
Jim

Florence, KY

#8 Jan 16, 2008
Thanks for all that you do and be safe out there. God Bless
His Wife

Rochester, NY

#9 Jan 17, 2008
Jim wrote:
Did he have his tanked turned on all the way? This happens quite frequently, firefighters get anxious and dont turn their bottles all the way on. This will make the vibe alert in the scott packs not last long and result in mask sucking to your face. Know from expierence.
Great question! From our training we're taught to open all the way also from previous issues that other FF have had with air packs. The air pack was checked and the air tank was completely open. Only thing found was a low battery for heads up display. FF Jeff simpson
FFGIRL

New York, NY

#10 Jan 17, 2008
That is NOT Jeff Simpson at the window. It's Frankie Vallone gasping for air. Thank God he made it out ok. Let's get this equipment analyzed CHIEF,and prevent a tragedy in the future.
Justice

Albany, NY

#11 Jan 17, 2008
It is really boring to hear about how dangerous firefighter jobs are. No on ever writes about the dangers/hazards of the nurse who works in corrections or in psychiatric facilities or in ED's. Who get beat up and bitten and have to take it without fighting back. Nurses put their lives on the line everyday they go into work but no one cares to record this. I guess nurses just don't matter. Nurses don't have shiny red trucks with flashing lights.

What you don't hear about the firefighters is how they hate women on the job. From personal experience women are shoved down onto the ground, shoved into walls, threatened and harassed by the very same firefighters who say "we are always there for each other no matter what" That is a lie.

It is boring to hear about how dangerous firefighter jobs are. Don't do the job. Seek another career option.

Will we ever see the media coverage of the other dangerous careers? Probably not, we don't drive shiny red trucks.
Tom

Rochester, NY

#12 Jan 17, 2008
Justice wrote:
It is really boring to hear about how dangerous firefighter jobs are. No on ever writes about the dangers/hazards of the nurse who works in corrections or in psychiatric facilities or in ED's. Who get beat up and bitten and have to take it without fighting back. Nurses put their lives on the line everyday they go into work but no one cares to record this. I guess nurses just don't matter. Nurses don't have shiny red trucks with flashing lights.
What you don't hear about the firefighters is how they hate women on the job. From personal experience women are shoved down onto the ground, shoved into walls, threatened and harassed by the very same firefighters who say "we are always there for each other no matter what" That is a lie.
It is boring to hear about how dangerous firefighter jobs are. Don't do the job. Seek another career option.
Will we ever see the media coverage of the other dangerous careers? Probably not, we don't drive shiny red trucks.
I have a wife and daughter who are nurses. I agree that nurses are very important and face dangers in the workplace. Why are you so angry with firefighters?????????
RichW

Mount Holly, NJ

#13 Jan 17, 2008
Nowhere in the news video did he say how long he was inside before his alarm sounded! Nowhere in the video did he say how strenuously he had to work maybe causing him to use the air supply more rapidly. Nowhere in the video did he say for how long that cylinder was rated. This seems to me to be something else) that the news service is blowing out of proportion! I don't believe the FF is at fault, nor is the SCBA mfgr., and his dept's investigation will prove both those points. I can't believe this FF saw the video before it was aired or he would have not given permission for them to use is likeness or his words. One other thing, someone please enlighten that reported as to what is in the SCBA cylinder!
RichW

Mount Holly, NJ

#14 Jan 17, 2008
Justice wrote:
Did you ever think of contacting a news outlet yourself and starting a story about nurses? "Squeaky wheel gets the grease." Stop your whinning and do something about it.
Jay

Victorville, CA

#15 Jan 17, 2008
Justice wrote:
Justice, I hear you in what you are saying about other "dangerous" and selflessly-serving occupations not getting as much face-time as the FD. Often I think people take for granted the amazing service of EMS Personnel and other professions that enter into harm's way to defend others.
I think it is excellent that the media reports on Police officers and Firefighters, but as you said Justice, it would be a positive influence on the outlook of the general public, to give more coverage to other noble professions as well.
Now Justice, as to firefighters hating women on the job, I don't know where you gained your personal experience, but what you just described is tremendously reprehensible, and something that gets firefighters fired. Verbal and physical harassment can be dealt with anonymously and if disregarded, would obviously result in a serious lawsuit. I hope that whatever experience you have can be dealt with in a constructive manner.
And I might add, that from my own personal experience in our Fire Department (that has many female employees on duty)... we treat them with respect and honor like any other brother or sister who dons the cloth of a public servant. Gender aside.

In closing, you may want to consider writing a thoughtful letter to your local media organizations to encourage them to give credence to other "dangerous career" employees. This may help to inform the otherwise unaware public of what takes place in these professions.
Jay

Victorville, CA

#16 Jan 17, 2008
RichW, I'm not trying to copy-cat your ideas... I was writing my comment while you wrote yours.
Benny Wuu

Newark, NY

#17 Jan 17, 2008
Justice was probably dumped by a fireman at some point...get over it! We all know how dangerous your job is too. Pretty much anything anyone does today can be considered dangerous and i am sure that they know this going in and don't mind it, maybe that is why they do the job, because you never know what is going to happen. Get over your bitterness
Proud FFgirl

New York, NY

#18 Jan 18, 2008
Justice, next time your home is on fire, call a nurse. I know nurses jobs can be dangerous, but they also have many correctional officers there to intervene if need be. A firefighter goes into a fire trusting his equipment will work. Also, those women that you claim are getting victimized by their fellow firefighters should report them and stop using you as their spokesperson. Everytime my husband goes to work I pray that he will come home safe. In closing I'll use your words...

"Don't do the job. Seek another career option."

NEXT time you are hanging out a window gasping for air in your nursing job, call the media. OH, and those trucks are shiny because the men and women of the FD take pride in what their apparatus looks like.

Have a wonderful day!
pfdlt

Rochester, NY

#19 Jan 18, 2008
all ii can say is that our department has ran into a problem where 1 or more persons has decided to sabotage our air packs by loosening connections or leaving the bottles empty. i hope this was not the case for him. due to this problem i hope i don't ever get stuck where ff simpson was and i hope this wasn't the problem god bless and i hope all firefihgters get to go home safe including me.
Tom

Rochester, NY

#20 Feb 12, 2008
pfdlt wrote:
all ii can say is that our department has ran into a problem where 1 or more persons has decided to sabotage our air packs by loosening connections or leaving the bottles empty. i hope this was not the case for him. due to this problem i hope i don't ever get stuck where ff simpson was and i hope this wasn't the problem god bless and i hope all firefihgters get to go home safe including me.
You sound like a real idiot......Get a life..........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TRUMP: He Knew What He Signed Up a For! 2 min Ha Ha 19
NFL boycott week number six. 3 min Ha Ha 12
Save Your Breath President Bush(43) 5 min Ha Ha 3
Florida LEO's On Full Alert 6 min Ha Ha 3
Mueller Will Make Nixon Look Saintly 8 min Ha Ha 30
Messages To Bob Lonsberry (part 3) 26 min LetsKneel 86
Mrs fake IescapedNY Florida edition is Irate 31 min IescapedNY 25
Lakeland Florida 46 min IescapedNY 61

Rochester Jobs

More from around the web