Lilac Fest: What Really Happened a (gunfire)

Posted in the Rochester Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Grady Stiles

Brooklyn, NY

#1 May 19, 2013
Look at the comments from the D&C article. Wow.
Grady Stiles

Brooklyn, NY

#2 May 19, 2013
BK: I was caught right in the middle of the fight behind the concert venue. We heard gunshots and my 4 year old daughter was caught up by the fleeing people and took a minute to find. The epicenter was like 20 feet from us. The real truth is it felt likes war zone... Mt hope police were arresting people all over on the sides of the road. I won't be back there soon. PS I never saw a policeman anywhere inside the park... Just the perimeter.
Grady Stiles

Brooklyn, NY

#3 May 19, 2013
SGL: same here, I feel like I did not experience the same events as what is being reported. We were on the walkway near the purple crosswalk (with my friends and their five children including a baby). A woman came running telling us to get the baby out of there because there was a fight and there were guns and they were talking about shots. Then I heard popping sounds. It was extremely close to us. I don't know if they were gunshots, they sure sounded like it. Her daughter got caught up in the fleeing people as well and took a minute to find. And my friends baby DID get hurt in the chaos of the crowd running away. We headed out of the festival to our cars. There was no security or police anywhere to be seen until we got out of the park. There were TONS of people screaming, yelling, and fleeing and GUNSHOTS. I don't see how that equates to no fights inside the park and no one being in danger.
Grady Stiles

Brooklyn, NY

#4 May 19, 2013
EK: I am sick and tired with dealing with these kids that have nothing else to do but cause misery to others who are trying to have a nice time. If it isn't on the RTS bus's, it trouble at and around the Liberty Pole,..and this is almost a daily occurence !! The police chief says they are stepping up their patrols and doing so much more,...but things are just getting worse and worse. There is a big white house on Hudson Ave, just before Herald Street, where they are selling drugs outside 24/7 !! I have called the police several times about this, and NOTHING has happened. I ride the bus and can see transactions happening every time I go by there. WHY is THIS allowed to keep happening. 
EDM

Rochester, NY

#5 May 19, 2013
Thanks for posting these. The D&C has pulled the original story, thus removing all original comments with the truth.
Grady Stiles

Brooklyn, NY

#6 May 19, 2013
KT: I was there too Bud. While we were unpacking our grand son, a few police officers walked by and advised us to stay in the park and not go to the festival site. They said it wasn't very "family friendly" tonight. We witnessed a lot of disrespect including kids smoking pot, bumping into people and instigating others, and a general callous feeling of entitlement. I agree with the other comments here- a shameful representation of Rochester and Highland Park.
Grady Stiles

Brooklyn, NY

#7 May 19, 2013
BP: There were fights INSIDE the festival sight. My family was surrounded by it. This scene caused my 8 year old to become frightened. Had one of those little thugs hurt him or my wife, I'd gladly go to jail for stringing them up. Looks like no more city festivals for this family, gonna stay safe in the country. Rochester has become a toilet filled with disrespectful and violent little turds.
Grady Stiles

Brooklyn, NY

#8 May 19, 2013
BK: I disagree that the police response was good! We saw a lot and never saw a police or security guard
Grady Stiles

Brooklyn, NY

#10 May 19, 2013
NBG is the only news you can trust. Chief correspondent Grady Stiles always reports the truth.
FTW

Rochester, NY

#11 May 19, 2013
Grady Stiles wrote:
BK: I disagree that the police response was good! We saw a lot and never saw a police or security guard
Man I apologize again.My foot taste like crap.
Grady Stiles

Brooklyn, NY

#12 May 19, 2013
FTW wrote:
<quoted text>Man I apologize again.My foot taste like crap.
No problem. Grady Stiles reports the truth.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#13 May 19, 2013
That is absolutely bullcrap that they pulled the original story! The Lilac Fest was absolutely out of control last night! We witnessed it first hand from a friend's porch. Completely out of control. I am soooo damn sick and tired of these teenapers ruining the last remaining decent events in Rochester. Unreal. Without the suburbanites spending their money at these events, Rochester will get even worse. If that's even possible.
Grady Stiles

Brooklyn, NY

#14 May 19, 2013
Steel City Steelers wrote:
That is absolutely bullcrap that they pulled the original story! The Lilac Fest was absolutely out of control last night! We witnessed it first hand from a friend's porch. Completely out of control. I am soooo damn sick and tired of these teenapers ruining the last remaining decent events in Rochester. Unreal. Without the suburbanites spending their money at these events, Rochester will get even worse. If that's even possible.
Did you hear the gunfire?
Grady Stiles

Brooklyn, NY

#15 May 19, 2013
JF: I live directly across from the park entrance, and this is the THIRD year that this has happened. For the last 3 years on the 2 Saturday nights during the festival these groups start mayhem. I even heard one cop tell a thug as he as being arrested that it was for fighting in the park. 22 Years in this neighborhood, very sad that this continues to happen every year.
Grady Stiles

Brooklyn, NY

#16 May 19, 2013
JK: Unreal. I was in the neighborhood last evening picking up my kid and the scene was total chaos. Postedthe D&C link this morning to my FB page suggesting that the festival might want to consider scaling waaayyyyy back. Be interested in hearing the papers take on why the article was pulled.

“Reality is settling in...”

Since: Nov 08

Stop sweating the small stuff.

#17 May 19, 2013
Sounds to me like it's time to....SHUT IT DOWN !!!!
FTW

Rochester, NY

#18 May 19, 2013
CapriceClassic wrote:
Time to shut the goddamn ghetto down.Three people stand together who can't pull their pants up fire hose 'em.
FTW

Rochester, NY

#21 May 19, 2013
Bangbangall sumer wrote:
<quoted text>
Leave the ghetto alone. Do you want them spreading to your neighborhood like cancer? I don't.
I guess you got a point some what. Ever since they put up the camera's near Central Park they have started moving closer to Lyceum-Culver.

“Reality is settling in...”

Since: Nov 08

Stop sweating the small stuff.

#22 May 19, 2013
CapriceClassic wrote:
SHUT IT DOWN........
OR MOVE IT TO THE BURBS!!!!
FTW

Rochester, NY

#23 May 19, 2013
CapriceClassic wrote:
<quoted text>
SHUT IT DOWN........
OR MOVE IT TO THE BURBS!!!!
Really CC do you wanna see the festival go away?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shut down Gates Pub permanently after shooting 4 hr pantsup dontloot 1
News Runners ready to take to streets for Flower Cit... 5 hr CityRes 4
News Sutherland Global Services - Ready to File Bank... (Feb '08) 7 hr AnnMary27 179
Sixth year anniversary of the disappearance of ... 8 hr GrittyIsNotPretty 4
Firefighter Credited for Gates Pub shooting Arrest 10 hr pantsup dontloot 2
News Rochester man convicted of drug conspiracy 11 hr FTW Forever 2
News 1 dead, 6 injured after Gates shooting 13 hr Urban Culture 8
More from around the web

Rochester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]