Posted in the Rochester Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
WhiteyWhite

Farmington, NY

#1 Jul 19, 2013
Obama asks 'soul searching' after Martin shooting

WASHINGTON (AP)— Looking for positive lessons to draw from the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, President Barack Obama said Friday the nation needs to do some "soul-searching," look for ways to bolster African-American boys and examine state and local laws to see if they encourage confrontations like the one in Florida.

"Where do we take this?" Obama wondered aloud in an impromptu appearance in the White House briefing room. "How do we learn some lessons from this and move in a positive direction?"

The president said it's time "for all of us to some soul searching," but he also said it's generally not productive when politicians try to orchestrate a conversation.

On the positive side, he said race relations in the United States actually are getting better Looking at his own daughters and their interactions with friends, the president said, "They're better than we are. They're better than we were."

The president declined to wade into the detail of legal questions about the Florida case, saying, "Once the jury's spoken, that's how our system works."

But he said state and local laws, such as Florida's "stand your ground" statute, need a close look.

Obama said it would be useful "to examine some state and local laws to see if they are designed in such a way that they may encourage the kinds of confrontation" that led to Martin's death. He questioned whether a law that sends the message that someone who is armed "has the right to use those firearms even if there is a way for them to exit from a situation" really promotes the peace and security that people want.

And he raised the question of whether Martin himself, if he had been armed, "could he have stood his ground on that sidewalk" and shot neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman if he felt threatened when being followed.

Obama's appearance marked his first extended comments on the Martin case since Zimmerman was acquitted last weekend of second-degree murder and manslaughter charges in Martin's death last year. Jurors found that Zimmerman was acting in self-defense when he shot the unarmed black teenager. Zimmerman identifies himself as Hispanic.

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder has said the Justice Department has an open investigation into the case. The department is looking into whether Zimmerman violated Martin's civil rights.

."
View gallery

President Barack Obama gestures as he speaks during his daily news briefing at the White House, Frid …

Obama, who early on had said that if he had a son, the boy would have looked like Martin, on Friday drew an even more personal connection, saying that "Trayvon Martin could've been me 35 years ago."

He said that as people process the Zimmerman verdict, it's important to put the angry reaction of many African-Americans into context. Protests and demonstrations, he said, are understandable, adding that "some of that stuff is just going to have to work its way through — as long as it remains nonviolent."

"It's important to recognize that the African-American community is looking at this issue through a set of experiences and a history that doesn't go away," he said.

He said that distrust shadows African-American men, that they sometimes are closely followed when they shop at department stores, that they can draw nervous stares on elevators and hear car locks clicking when they walk down the street — experiences that he personally felt before becoming a well-known figure.

"It's inescapable for people to bring those experiences to bear," he said.
http://news.yahoo.com/obama-asks-soul-searchi...

Obama inciting riots?

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

Since: Jul 13

Drive it, like you stole it

#2 Jul 19, 2013
Hey Obama!!! Does a law that sends the message that an armed individual has the right to use that firearm even if they have a way of exiting that situation promote the peace and security I want???????YES IT DOES you clown. Allowing people to confront crime themselves and have the law on their side is the only way crime can deterred.Having laws that force people to run and hide while the criminals are able to go unchecked is why we have the problems we do.Don't give that we have police crap either.They can only react to a crime after it happens they cannot deter it,stop it,or save one from it as it is happening. They can only come and punish someone for it after it happens.
FTW is stupid

Macedon, NY

#5 Jul 19, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text>It is not a black/white issue.Not everything is about race. People who are against stand your ground laws and Castle doctrine are people who never grew up and still are in the "go tell an adult" mentality.They don't want to deal with unpleasant thoughts or situations. They are bleeding hearts who ignore history and feel if we change just a few things all problems will cease to exist. They believe that Utopia can exist.
your momma wasn't fit to push you out, but you're here. Aren't we sorry for her.
FTW is stupid

Macedon, NY

#6 Jul 19, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
Hey Obama!!! Does a law that sends the message that an armed individual has the right to use that firearm even if they have a way of exiting that situation promote the peace and security I want???????YES IT DOES you clown. Allowing people to confront crime themselves and have the law on their side is the only way crime can deterred.Having laws that force people to run and hide while the criminals are able to go unchecked is why we have the problems we do.Don't give that we have police crap either.They can only react to a crime after it happens they cannot deter it,stop it,or save one from it as it is happening. They can only come and punish someone for it after it happens.
slime face has spoken
WhiteyWhite

Farmington, NY

#7 Jul 19, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text>It is not a black/white issue.Not everything is about race. People who are against stand your ground laws and Castle doctrine are people who never grew up and still are in the "go tell an adult" mentality.They don't want to deal with unpleasant thoughts or situations. They are bleeding hearts who ignore history and feel if we change just a few things all problems will cease to exist. They believe that Utopia can exist.
To make it short you mean "Liberals"

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

#8 Jul 19, 2013
FTW is stupid wrote:
<quoted text>
your momma wasn't fit to push you out, but you're here. Aren't we sorry for her.
Name calling was not enough now you bring my mother into it.You not only don't respect others you don't respect yourself. When you have nothing to say you lower yourself to childish and ignorant insults. Very eloquent and dignified.Bravo!!! You are the laughing stock of topix.
Zombie nation

Honeoye Falls, NY

#9 Jul 19, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text>Name calling was not enough now you bring my mother into it.You not only don't respect others you don't respect yourself. When you have nothing to say you lower yourself to childish and ignorant insults. Very eloquent and dignified.Bravo!!! You are the laughing stock of topix.
Wow. Are you delusional. You either directly or infer insults at every person you don't agree with. Respect isn't even in your DNA.
The man

United States

#10 Jul 19, 2013
BO is dumb as a rock.
He can't speak worth [email protected]
If he was a city, it would be Detriot.
A loser and stupid person.
Ha Ha

Iraq

#11 Jul 19, 2013
Zombie nation wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. Are you delusional. You either directly or infer insults at every person you don't agree with. Respect isn't even in your DNA.
That pretty much sums up EVERYONE here on topix ... myself included.

It's the nature of this beast. you can't be thin skinned.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

#12 Jul 19, 2013
Zombie nation wrote:
<quoted text>
I may infer them but I do so with statements to back up my argument.Those I am calling out for their insults use insults to try and prove their point.Witch is childish and ignorant.HaHa says it all.It is the nature of the beast,but empty insults with no point or counter-point are the tactics of those who cannot think.You can call someone stupid or any insult you want but an intelligent and dignified person backs such insults up.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

#13 Jul 19, 2013
^^^^ which
Sorry typing to fast and watching the news at the same time
allknowing

Rochester, NY

#14 Jul 19, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
^^^^ which
Excuses, excuses.
A Rochester Resident

Macedon, NY

#15 Jul 19, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
^^^^ which
there is no excuse for your wicked, ugly, menacing, demonic appearance or lame weak arguments . but you are definitely one sorry character.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

#16 Jul 19, 2013
allknowing wrote:
<quoted text>Excuses, excuses.
Your no one to talk. At least I notice and own up to my contextual mistakes. Nearly all your post contain misspellings,grammatical errors,or misuse of words.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

#17 Jul 19, 2013
A Rochester Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
there is no excuse for your wicked, ugly, menacing, demonic appearance or lame weak arguments . but you are definitely one sorry character.
Blah.Blah.Blah. Your hate towards me is like sweet Ambrosia. You use many words but, never make a point.
allknowing

Rochester, NY

#18 Jul 19, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text>Your no one to talk. At least I notice and own up to my contextual mistakes. Nearly all your post contain misspellings,grammatical errors,or misuse of words.
You understood what I was saying though, didn't you.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

#19 Jul 19, 2013
allknowing wrote:
<quoted text>You understood what I was saying though, didn't you.
You should have a question mark at the end of that.
You understood what I was saying as well.Though in reality there are times your grammatical mistakes make your post fairly indecipherable.

FTW Yall

“"Trust no one"”

#20 Jul 19, 2013
Zombie nation wrote:
<quoted text>
Respect is not in anyone's DNA. It is a learned behavior, not a genetic trait.
FlatScreen

Rochester, NY

#21 Jul 19, 2013
Obama is a terrible President. The upside, another African-American president is not on the horizon again in our lifetimes. We learned our liberal lesson, and wouldn't make the same mistake again.

I suppose Sharpton would be worse, but fortunately he is unelectable.
Zombie nation

Honeoye Falls, NY

#22 Jul 19, 2013
FTW Yall wrote:
<quoted text>Respect is not in anyone's DNA. It is a learned behavior, not a genetic trait.
That's debatable. Nature plays into a person's personality traits as much as nurture. And I was talking metaphorically anyways.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wease picks his fights (Jul '15) 7 hr Slammed 630
rochester christian church ministries is a cult... (Oct '07) Thu fed-up 95
Hillary: the most corrupt politician ever!!! Thu Ha Ha 15
john vetato (May '08) Thu Michelle 8
Major Assult Weapons Bust in Henrietta Thu JoeBfanclubExecVP 18
Tommy & Duffy suspended from WCMF Break Room Wed Ha Ha 2
Agitators Jun 22 Ha Ha 58
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rochester Mortgages