Scammers are targeting the 585 area c...

Scammers are targeting the 585 area code. Here's why.

Posted in the Rochester Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jul 17

Olde Erie

#1 Nov 15, 2018
"""Scammers are targeting the 585 area code. Here's why."""

Why are they targeting 585?? I read the story and watched it and I don't know why still.

Is it that the "Do Not Call" registries are not doing an effective job for ONLY 585 and does a good job on all other area codes?

And is it ONLY the 585 area code that has had no one in charge of investigating complaints about these calls???.

I think old Jane Flasch is getting to old for this job.

https://13wham.com/news/special-reports/585-a...
IescapedNY

Fairport, NY

#2 Nov 15, 2018
Bovenzi13 wrote:
"""Scammers are targeting the 585 area code. Here's why."""

Why are they targeting 585?? I read the story and watched it and I don't know why still.

Is it that the "Do Not Call" registries are not doing an effective job for ONLY 585 and does a good job on all other area codes?

And is it ONLY the 585 area code that has had no one in charge of investigating complaints about these calls???.

I think old Jane Flasch is getting to old for this job.

https://13wham.com/news/special-reports/585-a...

585 is a target because it is affluent (the eastside, anyway). If you were a telemarketing scammer, are you going to waste your time dialing up trailer parks in Wayne County or 315? No. You're going to target 914 (Westchester County), 518 (Long Island) or 212 (New York City)... follow the money.

The DO NOT CALL lists adds your name to the scammers target list... they know it is a in-service number...

Their phone dialing servers are located off shore, so the U.S. authorities can't touch them. Everything comes through VoIP (voice over internet), so it can't be blocked. We did them a favor publishing a national do not call list.

Olde Erie

#3 Nov 15, 2018
My point was that the news should say "here's why" in the title and then not tell you in the story.

Instead of going after the people responsible for these calls for wasting our time,
we should be going after and suing the "Do Not Call" people for wasting our time to keep going to their website to report these calls for no reason, as they waste more of our time then the actual calls.

And next 13 is going to promote a costly app to fight these calls, even tho we don't know if it will do any good. If the app was soo good why are they doing a segment with people that don't use the app, why not do a segment with people that use the app and tell us how happy they are with it and what a real difference that it makes???????
CyndifromPenfiel d

Rochester, NY

#5 Nov 15, 2018
If you get a phone call from someone outside of the area code you live in and you answer it, you should just hang up if its a nonsense call lots of people out there begging for money.

Olde Erie

#6 Nov 15, 2018
Last time I saw 13 doing a story on crime in a neighborhood and then they recommend the app that the people are using in that neighborhood.

If they already use the app, and they are having crazy crime, why would that make the app a good app??
Maybe 13 should go to a neighborhood where crime is low and ask then what app they use??

Why is 13 in the business of recommend unproven apps? Are the owners of the app paying them, like is this a commercial?
Dr Smegma

Fairport, NY

#7 Nov 15, 2018
CyndifromPenfield wrote:
If you get a phone call from someone outside of the area code you live in and you answer it, you should just hang up if its a nonsense call lots of people out there begging for money.
Thanks, Captain Obvious. You're a simpleton.
Dr Smegma

Fairport, NY

#8 Nov 15, 2018
Bovenzi13 wrote:
Last time I saw 13 doing a story on crime in a neighborhood and then they recommend the app that the people are using in that neighborhood.

If they already use the app, and they are having crazy crime, why would that make the app a good app??
Maybe 13 should go to a neighborhood where crime is low and ask then what app they use??

Why is 13 in the business of recommend unproven apps? Are the owners of the app paying them, like is this a commercial?
She doesn't have a clue what you're talking about. The app is supposed to track to a database that the developer updates hourly.

My question is: why should we have to buy an app, and pay monthly for updates... to be protected from telemarketers pushing crap? Why aren't the carriers blocking their access for us?

Olde Erie

#9 Nov 15, 2018
Dr Smegma wrote:
<quoted text>

She doesn't have a clue what you're talking about. The app is supposed to track to a database that the developer updates hourly.

My question is: why should we have to buy an app, and pay monthly for updates... to be protected from telemarketers pushing crap? Why aren't the carriers blocking their access for us?
I agree, but they are not telemarketers. I can't recall the last time I got a call from a telemarketer. These calls are crooks acting as telemarketers.

But 13 should not be pushing apps that cost us money, if they haven't tested them or interviewed real people that have used them and had results.
A14626mom

Rochester, NY

#11 Sunday Nov 18
Dr Smegma wrote:
<quoted text>

Your question is valid. Carries should block telemarketers from calling cell phone numbers!
CyndifromPenfiel d

Rochester, NY

#12 Tuesday Nov 20
Dr Smegma wrote:
<quoted text>

Thanks, Captain Obvious. You're a simpleton.
I wouldn't consider myself a simpleton. Although I wouldn't consider telemarketers "scammers" either but hey, thats MY opinion!
Dr Smegma

Fairport, NY

#13 Wednesday Nov 21
CyndifromPenfield wrote:
<quoted text>

I wouldn't consider myself a simpleton. Although I wouldn't consider telemarketers "scammers" either but hey, thats MY opinion!
Thanks for that opinion. You just proved you're a simpleton.

Listen, one of your other personalities claimed you were leaving. Why don't you take the rest of them, too?
A14626mom

Rochester, NY

#14 Thursday Nov 29
CyndifromPenfield wrote:
<quoted text>

You are not a "simpleton" - the fake Doctor is making up stories because that's his/her job. Carries need to do more to prevent telemarketers from calling me. I constantly get calls and texts from people pretending my name is Erica just to get me to buy a car or something else. Its driving me nuts!
Fred E

Fairport, NY

#15 Thursday Nov 29
A14626mom wrote:
<quoted text>

Carries need to do more to prevent telemarketers from calling me. I constantly get calls and texts from people pretending my name is Erica just to get me to buy a car or something else. Its driving me nuts!
It's "CARRIERS" you dimwit.

They don't call bottom feeders. I don't believe you have ever had a call from Erica. Hey, they would have to make, like, 30 calls to you... to speak with all your personalities. Yikes.
winner

Sparta, TN

#16 Thursday Nov 29
Scammers have there targets set on the 931 area code in Tn also. It's all across the US not just one state.
Walmart HR

Fairport, NY

#17 Friday Nov 30
winner wrote:
Scammers have there targets set on the 931 area code in Tn also. It's all across the US not just one state.
How exactly does that impact us in Upstate NY? While it is very interesting, no really it is, it doesn't help me at all. Are you a Walmart employee?
Perfect

New York, NY

#18 Friday Nov 30
Wal mart hires tards
Walmart HR

Fairport, NY

#19 Friday Nov 30
Perfect wrote:
Wal mart hires tards
Don't forget the numerous child molesters employed proudly by Walmart. 16 and counting. We are an equal opportunity employer of tards and perverts.
CyndifromPenfiel d

Rochester, NY

#20 Sunday Dec 2
A14626mom wrote:
<quoted text>

You are not a "simpleton" - the fake Doctor is making up stories because that's his/her job. Carries need to do more to prevent telemarketers from calling me. I constantly get calls and texts from people pretending my name is Erica just to get me to buy a car or something else. Its driving me nuts!
Thank you for your insight! I don't like how you call carriers "Carries" so please stop using it. Not saying they're right about you being a dimwit for using a different word but I for one do not like it so please stop.
IescapedNY

Romulus, NY

#21 Sunday Dec 2
CyndifromPenfield wrote:
<quoted text>

Thank you for your insight! I don't like how you call carriers "Carries" so please stop using it. Not saying they're right about you being a dimwit for using a different word but I for one do not like it so please stop.
Great...now it's complimenting the other tard personalities.
Dr Smegma

Fairport, NY

#22 Sunday Dec 2
IescapedNY wrote:
<quoted text>

Great...now it's complimenting the other tard personalities.
Holy cow. She's getting much worse. Some more brain cells clicked off.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Melissa Barrett, Astacio's replacement a carpet... 6 min Southside Fan 2
Today I Decided I give up on Mayor Lovely Warren 25 min Bovenzi13 1
bovenzi13 3,963 posts since july 2017 1 hr Statue Fan 12
Police arrest duo for damaging and trying to st... 2 hr IescapedNY 11
NY Atty Gen: No Trump's On Charity Boards 3 hr IescapedNY 1
St. John Fisher's Thugs 4 hr IescapedNY 15
NONE of you are helping the homeless! 14 hr Perfect 2

Rochester Jobs

Personal Finance

Rochester Mortgages