DO NOT CALL List a Giant Scam

DO NOT CALL List a Giant Scam

Posted in the Rochester Forum

POed

Rochester, NY

#1 Aug 26, 2014
Since I added our phone number to the Do Not Call list two years ago, my bogus marketing calls have increased by at least 3 to 4x.

This morning it was "Don't hang up" (Chronic Pain), yesterday it was "Rachel" (Card Services). Saturday it was a free alarm system. And a medical ID alarm from a different company "ready to ship out" last Friday.

I am convinced that telemarketers get these lists, set their Caller ID to a spoof an originating number, and let their robots dial all of them... knowing they are live, in service phone numbers.

Another fail for the U.S. government, that makes absolutely no effort to enforce their regulations. Try calling the 800 line to report a number, they will not even take a report of it. Unbelievable. Plus, you wait on hold forever to get blown off.
Henry

Rochester, NY

#2 Aug 26, 2014
Got a call from the Pittsford Met Life office pushing retirement planning. Guy was an ahole when I told him we were on the Do Not Call list. They must tell their new reps to go through a section of the phonebook and call everybody, with no regard for those that don't want calls.
Housefrau

Rochester, NY

#3 Aug 26, 2014
I get a telemarketing call, on average, every two days. Some days, call traffic can go as high as 2 or 3. I am on the DO NOT CALL list. Telemarketers are now calling and texting my cell phone, and my kids cells. This has to stop.
Semper Fi Forever

Chesterhill, OH

#4 Aug 26, 2014
You can report them On-line. Card services are off shore, probably Jamaica. You can have a ton of fun with them, plus cost them a fortune, my making them hold the line.
Jason

Rochester, NY

#5 Aug 26, 2014
Don't bother waiting for a live person and asking to be removed. They normally hang up.

The worst offenders are "this is the NY State Police calling". These boiler room scummers will strong arm you all day, because they get a large commission on what is donated (very little goes to the organization they are hawking). They got me out of a business meeting once, when my sec'y thought it was an emergency.

I hate those guys. Plus, who would donate to the NYSP with the money they make?

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#6 Aug 26, 2014
Jason wrote:
Don't bother waiting for a live person and asking to be removed. They normally hang up.
The worst offenders are "this is the NY State Police calling". These boiler room scummers will strong arm you all day, because they get a large commission on what is donated (very little goes to the organization they are hawking). They got me out of a business meeting once, when my sec'y thought it was an emergency.
I hate those guys. Plus, who would donate to the NYSP with the money they make?
It sounds ridiculous.
Edwin

Rochester, NY

#7 Aug 26, 2014
Diamond Daisy wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds ridiculous.
Thanks for that helpful reply. Are you in your padded room?
The TRUTH comes out

Rochester, NY

#8 Aug 27, 2014
I love getting these calls - I totally play with them. If it's women I make it into a sex call. If it's a foreigner I keep asking them to repeat and say I dont understand and want an American.
Or I keep trying to order a pizza with the caller.
or I spin it on them and tell them I'm a telemarketer too and want them to buy my product or service.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man Accused of Shooting at Rochester Police Off... 2 hr Yankee Dave 9
Xpressway Beggar New Ploy 2 hr IescapedNY 11
Wease picks his fights (Jul '15) 2 hr Slammer is truth 488
News Could high speed rail between Rochester and Buf... 2 hr IescapedNY 14
Jacquetta Simmons taken into custody on 18-mont... 15 hr Yankee Dave 13
Rochester woman charged after false 911 call 16 hr Marty 3
Amy Hudak Is A Lousy Reporter! 16 hr Potsy 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rochester Mortgages