YWCA hosts "Fight Against Racism" forum

YWCA hosts "Fight Against Racism" forum

There are 10 comments on the 13WHAM story from Apr 25, 2014, titled YWCA hosts "Fight Against Racism" forum. In it, 13WHAM reports that:

Portions are Copyright 2013 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or distributed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 13WHAM.

The man

Rochester, NY

#1 Apr 26, 2014
This is what should be discussed regarding racism:

Go to school.
Get a job.
Stay off welfare.
Stay away from drugs and gangs.
Get married and THEN have children
Don't abandon your children.
Follow the golden rule.
Live your life as Dr. King mentioned:
Content of character, not color of skin.
Stop blaming your challenges on your skin color.
Stop being a victim.
Toughen-up and learn from your mistakes.

The list goes on...

It's a start.
Kurt

Rochester, NY

#2 Apr 26, 2014
There would be no (or at least very limited) racism if they made an attempt to matriculate into the rest of society.

Seminars like this convince them they are downtrodden and oppressed, what they need is something positive -- where they are told the truth (see above).

Those that choose to follow pragmatism will prosper (like every race, creed and color before them), those that subscribe to the racism rhetoric will continue to fail. It has been beaten to death.
Wall Street 4 Blacks

Rochester, NY

#6 Apr 26, 2014
And that location was just ONE documented. We know whites get jealous and retaliate. Think what will happen when Blacks repeat this prosperity
Wall Street 4 Blacks

Rochester, NY

#7 Apr 26, 2014
The rapid influx of blacks disturbed the racial balance within cities, exacerbating hostility from both black and white Northerners. Stereotypic schemas of Southern blacks were used to attribute issues in urban areas, such as crime and disease, to the presence of African-Americans. Overall, African-Americans in Northern cities experienced systemic discrimination in a plethora of aspects of life. Within employment, economic opportunities for blacks were routed to the lowest-status and restrictive in potential mobility . Within the housing market, stronger discriminatory measures were used in correlation to the influx, resulting in a mix of "targeted violence, restrictive covenants, redlining and racial steering"[39]

Throughout this period, racial tensions exploded, most violently in Chicago, and lynchings—mob-directed hangings, usually racially motivated—increased dramatically in the 1920s.
While substantial gains were made in the succeeding decades through middle class advancement and public employment, black poverty and lack of education[49] deepened in the context of de-industrialization.[50] Prejudice, discrimination, and institutional racism (see below) continue to affect African Americans.

From 1981 to 1997, the United States Department of Agriculture discriminated against tens of thousands of Black American farmers, denying loans provided to white farmers in similar circumstances. The discrimination was the subject of the Pigford v. Glickman lawsuit brought by members of the National Black Farmers Association, which resulted in two settlement agreements of $1.25 billion in 1999 and of $1.15 billion in 2009.[51]

It is argued that there exists a color blindness or an "understanding that cultural differences rooted in racial identities are irrelevant for peoples' prospects and their overall well-being".[52] Yet, one counter-example to this claim is that employer interviews reveal reluctance from both black and white employers to employ "urban young males who exhibit lower-class behavioral styles", highlighting the existence of embedded socio-economic preconceptions.[53]

There is now a more subtle racism that associates a specific race with a specific characteristic.[58] In a study by Katz and Braly, it is clear that "blacks and whites hold a variety of stereotypes towards each other, often negative."[59] Both African-Americans and Whites view the traits that they identify each other with as threatening, interracial communication between the two is likely to be "hesitant, reserved, and concealing."[60] Interracial communication is guided by stereotypes; stereotypes are transferred into personality and character traits which lead to have an effect on communication. Multiple factors go into how stereotypes are established, such as age and the setting in which they are being applied.[59] For example, in a study done by the Entman-Rojecki Index of Race and Media, 89% of Black women in movies are shown swearing and acting in offensive behavior while only 17% of White women are portrayed in this manner.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_the_Un...
Racism in the U.S is here to stay.
Wall Street 4 Blacks

Rochester, NY

#8 Apr 26, 2014
The man

Rochester, NY

#9 Apr 26, 2014
Wall Street 4 Blacks wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =heJea1_z2OwXX&feature=you tu.be
Any nitwit like yourself can copy & paste. Try adding your opinion sometime. Otherwise, you're just another boo-hoo waaaa victim who can't survive without being a slave to government hand-outs.
Wall Street 4 Blacks

Rochester, NY

#10 Apr 26, 2014
The man wrote:
<quoted text>
Any nitwit like yourself can copy & paste. Try adding your opinion sometime. Otherwise, you're just another boo-hoo waaaa victim who can't survive without being a slave to government hand-outs.
You added your opinion and I gave you FACTS.....FACTS that knock your ignorant opinion out the box. Learn the history of America and it's racist ways before you give your ignorant rant.
Wall Street 4 Blacks

Rochester, NY

#11 Apr 26, 2014
The man wrote:
This is what should be discussed regarding racism:
Go to school.
Get a job.
Stay off welfare.
Stay away from drugs and gangs.
Get married and THEN have children
Don't abandon your children.
Follow the golden rule.
Live your life as Dr. King mentioned:
Content of character, not color of skin.
Stop blaming your challenges on your skin color.
Stop being a victim.
Toughen-up and learn from your mistakes.
The list goes on...
It's a start.
Case and point based on facts:
Lovely Warren (amongst thousands/millions of others) the Mayor of Rochester did all the above and look how hated she is by scared racists.

I rest my case.
Taxation without represen

Port Charlotte, FL

#12 Apr 27, 2014
Wall Street 4 Blacks wrote:
<quoted text>
Case and point based on facts:
Lovely Warren (amongst thousands/millions of others) the Mayor of Rochester did all the above and look how hated she is by scared racists.
I rest my case.
Wall Street
Question:
What has lovely done ?

I rest my case

Beware of liberals posing as Americans
Failed White Culture

Chicago, IL

#13 Apr 27, 2014
Kurt wrote:
There would be no (or at least very limited) racism if they made an attempt to matriculate into the rest of society.

Although you and I are on different ends of the color spectrum, we tend to agree for the most part......
Had the process of "matriculation" begun 200 years ago. We, more than likely, wouldn't be discussing these issues today.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IescapeNY was almost invoved in a threesome 3 hr Ha Ha 14
marvs pizzeria park ave. 4 hr perfect 14
What's Wrong With College Town? 4 hr perfect 21
Why do my threads get hot? Because Rochester tr... 5 hr perfect 4
Bacteria Beach season is starting 5 hr perfect 7
Joe Barkley is the Guiding Voice of this Forum 5 hr perfect 8
Fair port is a racist town 8 hr Ha Ha 81
Is Trump the Orange Führer ? 11 hr josephbarkley 71
More from around the web

Personal Finance