?1961 unsolved murder of female near springs at Lake Orion

Posted in the Rochester Forum

Lt John Lewis

Newnan, GA

#1 May 5, 2009
does anyone remember anything about an unsolved homicide of a female found near the "springs" at Lake Orian around 1961
Garry Sommer

Lansing, MI

#2 Jul 1, 2010
Lt John Lewis wrote:
does anyone remember anything about an unsolved homicide of a female found near the "springs" at Lake Orian around 1961
I don't know if the case was ever solved. I believe the case you're referring to was Connie Crossland, in I want to think 1963, July; her body was found underneath the bridge at a location referred to as Rudd's Mill, the former location of a local mill.

She was an escapee, along with a couple of others from a juvenile detention facility in the Jackson area.

I've read the only story in the local paper (Lake Orion Review) and the one story that I could fine in the Corrunna (Mich) newspaper; where she was from, but there isn't really much information in those accounts about how she came to end up in Orion. I want to say that she was beaten and strangled
cody

Ferndale, MI

#3 Nov 4, 2010
Look under the jonbenet forum ---
then go to the oakland county child killer.
Someone is speaking about this crime ??
Curious who he is and if he's full of shit or not ??

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#4 Nov 5, 2010
cody wrote:
Look under the jonbenet forum ---
then go to the oakland county child killer.
Someone is speaking about this crime ??
Curious who he is and if he's full of shit or not ??
I am not full of anything, but the truth. Stephen Stanislaw burned his clothes and shot and buried his dog in the back yard of the home he was living in with his wife. He told his wife about it before it hit the newspaper. The rope used was a rope used in aviation. Stephen's dad gave him the rope for his dog. Both were pilots. He beat his wife brutally and she was deathly afraid of him. He beat her that night with the shovel to keep her quiet. His wife was beat beyond recognition. Connie Crossland was found later in Lake Orion in Starr Park under the Painted Bridge. Stanislaw had a white fancy car then. The drive-in server where they were last seen together said the guy (and described Stephen to a TEE) ordered a strange mixture of sodas. Orange and Root beer was his favorite soda according to close family. None of this is coincedence. Stephen later threatened his in-laws that if they didn't butt-out, they were going to end up like "Connie Crossland". Stephen was questioned, but family gave him another false alliby. Stephen Stanislaw' uncle was State Represetative back in the late 50's, so S. Stanislaw was never held accountable. Coleman Stanislaw was the state rep. that helped keep him out of jail.
Dashing Dave

Douglasville, GA

#5 Mar 25, 2012
I'm curious why LT John Lewis was asking about this incident in 2009. I live in Douglasville, GA, but grew up in Owosso, MI and knew Connie before she was murdered.

I remember hearing that she had been found murdered, but I always thought it was in Owosso since I know nothing of Lake Orion. There was also a story prior to that that she and another girl, that I graduated from High School with in 1967, were caught down by the Shiawassee River exposing themselves to someone or someones! The other girl died a few years after we graduated and I doubt that her family wants to dig that story up again after 40 years. That is probably why I thought she was found by the river under the Main Street bridge in Owosso. I also do not remember that she was from Corrunna, which is the county seat for Shiawassee County.

Is there any way to verify what "InGodsTiming" has claimed to know about the murderer? I have wondered if her killer was ever caught for 40 years and would like to know the TRUTH!
From Corunna

Saint Johns, MI

#6 Jul 22, 2012
Connie also attended Corunna High School along with her sister Linda. I remember both of them. Never heard if her murder was solved just remember her being found hanging under a bridge.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#7 Sep 27, 2013
Dashing Dave This has been common knowledge among our family. My father committed the murder of Connie Crossland without a doubt. MSP found her homicide file completely intact in storage after a year of my prompting them to find it. It was found after being moved many times as the posts moved. I was told by a MSP Detective that it was found intact and that there are many names as witnesses in it. I am no longer afraid to speak about this, as my father has now passed away. I urge her family and others to inquire about the case's status. Lt. Gary Miller (Oakland County Sheriff Department) has knowledge of the case, as I have spoke with him about it. My grandfather once directed the City Airport in Detroit and my father ended up murdering him in cold blood later in 1979. This is the truth. My parents at the time lived in Lake Orion, just off Big Beaver Road when Connie was killed. My dad loved cruising on Woodward Avenue. It is pretty sad to think about her family and their pain. It is solvable, if someone would care enough to take the time to look at this cold case. Connie Crossland has not been forgotten by me! God help her family and I pray someone will step up and do what is right. They questioned my father. It is in the file. Circumstantial evidence is all they had. I know the rope would have his DNA on it. Technology can close this case. My father can't be held accountable on earth, but my goal was never to seek vengeance. That is up to God in all regards. My intentions are to bring closure to those who are still hurt by this. I owe a big apology to the Stanislaw side of my family. My Uncle Coleman Stanislaw played no part in helping my dad go free. I am deeply sorry and regret that I wrote it. I misunderstood.
Linda Crossland Stevens

Satsuma, FL

#10 Feb 2, 2014
I appreciate your coming forward and telling your story. I am Connies' sister. Yes we have every day wondered if her case was ever looked into again. Had not heard anything until we recently recieved a phone call from a Lt. My brothers and I will continue to follow this to try and get closier after 51 years. I feel for your family but am not sorry for your loss except That I would have wished I had had the chance to see him pay for this crime on earth.!!
anita

Leesville, SC

#11 May 5, 2014
[QUOTE who="Lt John ne remember anything about an unsolved homicide of a female found near the "springs" at Lake Orian around 1961[/QUOTE] my dad said she was found hanged there, nude
anita

Leesville, SC

#12 May 5, 2014
Who was ever caught killing the child, Michael szabo from Oxford, mi in 1979 I worked with him at The Orion House. He was a sweet boy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: BED Bath & Beyond Oct 17 tosha 1
Labor problems with former employees of Guardia... Oct 15 wolf27958desdeint... 2
This question is for the girls. Oct 15 Richard Balzack 3
Police: Scam Artist Hiding In Detroit (Mar '10) Oct 10 CHERYL 4
Direct tv refer a friend (Sep '12) Oct 10 junior_01 50
FBI's Detroit office offers $10K reward after a... Oct 10 reality is a crutch 6
Sex Toy Vendor/Pioneer: 'It's A Weird Job But S... (Apr '13) Oct 7 Thomas Dolby 9
Rochester Dating
Find my Match

Rochester Jobs

Rochester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Rochester News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Rochester

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]