Cops' jobs tied to ticket totals

Cops' jobs tied to ticket totals

There are 120 comments on the Detroit News story from Nov 17, 2008, titled Cops' jobs tied to ticket totals. In it, Detroit News reports that:

Police officers in Metro Detroit are often ordered to write a certain number of moving violations -- but chiefs issuing those edicts are careful not to use the "Q" word.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Detroit News.

Howie Feldersnatch

Pinckney, MI

#84 Apr 4, 2009
MSP wrote:
<quoted text>
anytime you rear end someone you get the ticket for not keep your car under control because you caused the accident
Not necessarily. I recall watching at least two different news reports/stories involving people that set up and cause "rear-end" accidents. And, in West MI if the accident occurs at a mall or big box store parking lot, I've had a policeman tell me it's considered to be "private property," and thus merely a civil matter.

And for the moron writing to "kill the cops," dude, seriously now, get some help.
Joe

Grand Rapids, MI

#85 Apr 6, 2009
Art Teacher wrote:
This is CRAZY. Not needing to ticket should be seen as a good thing. So, what happens? Officers give out non-deserving tickets to keep their jobs and the public have to deal with protesting the ticket, money payment, points on licenses, etc. This is not a good idea.
That's the Governor's plan to a "T".
CANDY

Grovetown, GA

#86 Apr 7, 2009
Tascaria wrote:
Quota's are wrong period! It invites abuse of power and as some of the comments already show, many rather believe the 'honest' police officer vs. the 'bad' offender.
But hey let's face it. It's all about the money and not about protection and safety. Hence the un-marked cop cars to get as many unsuspecting people.
Everyones blames speeding but you don't hear much about unsafe driving habits such as reading books, putting on make-up, yepping or texting on a phone, unsecured loads in pickup beds, mufflers scraping on the pavement ready to kill the poor guy driving behind, etc. etc. When does the police pull people over for this stuff?
i agree they just have to much power.
Government Foe

Royal Oak, MI

#87 Apr 7, 2009
marv rein wrote:
NO PROFILE PEOPLE R DESTROYING AMERICA, using personal Attacks just prove y0ur ability 2 communicate..as many NON-profile people make a GREAT case to HANG all public school teachers..4 cheating children ,,it's OK 2 KILL the unborn,,and stop any counter talk, Obama will soon be DEAD,,and you guys will cry and I will.Laugh..because,public school teachers,r Anti-American..as LIBERAL's KILL the UNborn..CONSEVatives take OUT the TRASH..u liberals R TRASH..LOOKING 2 c u in the REAL.LOVE recon..and I love my JOB
By the view of your picture, you're much too old to gain from professional help. Therefore, a fast and painless method to end it is helium and a baggy over your head. Fill the bag with helium and you'll end your misery. BTW, I hope you didn't reproduce. Stick with sheeps.
jam

Columbus, OH

#88 Apr 8, 2009
Nasty rat pizza wrote:
If more people shot and killed cops during traffic stops, less cops would be apt to pull people over for piddly sh!t.
You're an idiot and a hillbilly. Nice representation of Waterford. I hope your city is proud. My sympathies to the police officers who have to deal with trash like you in their city. I hope you are an exception and not the norm. I'm guessing your school system is in the toilet as well. People like you are the first cowards/ hillbillies/idiots to call the police on their scummy neighbors for "piddly" complaints.

“I'm back,,JACK”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#89 Apr 8, 2009
Government Foe wrote:
<quoted text>
By the view of your picture, you're much too old to gain from professional help. Therefore, a fast and painless method to end it is helium and a baggy over your head. Fill the bag with helium and you'll end your misery. BTW, I hope you didn't reproduce. Stick with sheeps.
Who cares what you think,,you non-person,,JUst Like the COWARD u. r,,hide AND COMPLAIN
Government Foe

Dearborn, MI

#90 Apr 8, 2009
marv rein wrote:
<quoted text>Who cares what you think,,you non-person,,JUst Like the COWARD u. r,,hide AND COMPLAIN
Obviously, you do since you replied.

Non-person....LMAO.....yep, you sure are an idiot. I can come to Redford any day and complain in front of you if you prefer. Let me know.
Government Foe

Dearborn, MI

#91 Apr 8, 2009
Ahhh...Redford is the ISP, well, I can come to Troy also.

“I'm back,,JACK”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#92 Apr 8, 2009
Government Foe wrote:
Ahhh...Redford is the ISP, well, I can come to Troy also.
I do not KNOw Nothing about computers,but.been in and out of over 1,000 chats rooms and over 10.000 hours of chat time.,,and NO PROFIle people r Mental TYPES,,only attack from the back side as COwards R,,so be it.
Government Foe

Dearborn, MI

#93 Apr 9, 2009
marv rein wrote:
<quoted text>I do not KNOw Nothing about computers,but.been in and out of over 1,000 chats rooms and over 10.000 hours of chat time.,,and NO PROFIle people r Mental TYPES,,only attack from the back side as COwards R,,so be it.
I see you haven't much of a life since you live on chat forums.

Once again, not having a profile doesn't omit the merit of a statement or opinion. If anything, those who have profiles have serious issues to resolve. You all feel as if it provides acknowledgment to your empty pathetic lives.

Having a profile simply invites psychopaths, who become irate at your comment(s), to unexpectedly find your home and do unjust harm to you, a loved one or your property. You want to assume the risk, that's your choice, but I work hard for my possessions. I have no problem meeting face to face with any idiot who can't handle simple opinions. But I won't allow them the opportunity to discover my humble abode or the whereabouts of someone I love.

Now, once again, I'll be more than happy to come over and express my opinion directly to your face. Then we'll see who the coward is. Let me know. I'm around the corner from your area. Otherwise, any other incoherent comment from you simply makes you the coward.

“I'm back,,JACK”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#94 Apr 9, 2009
Government Foe wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you haven't much of a life since you live on chat forums.
Once again, not having a profile doesn't omit the merit of a statement or opinion. If anything, those who have profiles have serious issues to resolve. You all feel as if it provides acknowledgment to your empty pathetic lives.
Having a profile simply invites psychopaths, who become irate at your comment(s), to unexpectedly find your home and do unjust harm to you, a loved one or your property. You want to assume the risk, that's your choice, but I work hard for my possessions. I have no problem meeting face to face with any idiot who can't handle simple opinions. But I won't allow them the opportunity to discover my humble abode or the whereabouts of someone I love.
Now, once again, I'll be more than happy to come over and express my opinion directly to your face. Then we'll see who the coward is. Let me know. I'm around the corner from your area. Otherwise, any other incoherent comment from you simply makes you the coward.
EXCUSE ME<U GREAT PERSON with ALL knowing KNOWLEDGE hides in the shadows and ATTACKS>>Please have a nice day..Ambushing People's
Government Foe

Dearborn, MI

#95 Apr 9, 2009
marv rein wrote:
<quoted text>EXCUSE ME<U GREAT PERSON with ALL knowing KNOWLEDGE hides in the shadows and ATTACKS>>Please have a nice day..Ambushing People's
Thanks for proving me correct....coward.
dell

Saginaw, MI

#96 Apr 9, 2009
laura wrote:
every person who belives getting tickets is ok because its the law, well show me the law and not a statuary law (which is not law) you have a right to life, liberty and happiness as long as you do not infringe on someone else, you have a right to travel check out and learn your constatution and bill of rights because the courts are slowly taking your rights away unless you step up and take them back remember judges, cops magistrates all work for you, they took a oath and its time they uphold that oath
Amen to that! Lived next door to a Detroit cop that used to smoke pot he "took " from people he had pulled over. Self righteous bastard. Should have shared.
dell

Saginaw, MI

#97 Apr 9, 2009
Government Foe wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for proving me correct....coward.
This guy Marv must be high on Captain crunch or something. If he thinks that you are hiding in the shadows he needs to re-think and re-group. Im with you.

“I'm back,,JACK”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#98 Apr 9, 2009
i'M RUNNINGH 4 TROY COUNCIL..i'M REALLY HARD 2 FIND.
TruthBeTold

Farmington, MI

#99 Apr 9, 2009
marv rein wrote:
i'M RUNNINGH 4 TROY COUNCIL..i'M REALLY HARD 2 FIND.
If that is true, and you are the best of what Troy has to offer, then I feel bad for the state of politics (and literacy) in your town.

I chose to have no profile, because I don't need anything to cloud the topics I am involved in or the comments I make.
As far as giving you or anyone else any fire power to deter from ones inability to debate or discuss, well I along with others have decided to take that away from you thoughtless imbeciles.
curmudgeon

Gaines, MI

#100 Apr 9, 2009
I think this became a problem because some people who deserved tickets weren't getting tickets because some cops don't like paperwork. when the chief donut eater complained about it they assumed he was insisting on tickets being written no matter what. I think it was about trying to get cops to do their job. and as far as quotas-they can write as many tickets as they want.
Dell

Saginaw, MI

#101 Apr 9, 2009
marv rein wrote:
i'M RUNNINGH 4 TROY COUNCIL..i'M REALLY HARD 2 FIND.
chillax

“I'm back,,JACK”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#102 Apr 10, 2009
WHO CARES>.I have enough money 2 throw away,Obama Pays all my BILLs..and Obama will kept on pay-ing. TAX the RICH,,In Troy,,tickets are NOT a revenue source 4 income 4 the CITY of TROY<,but Please Drive Safe.,the POLICE r OUR Friends.in TRoy, that's, WHY the City of Troy is so SAFE.!!!!!!!!!
Upyurz

Holland, MI

#103 Apr 10, 2009
In what job don't you have goals or quotas?(Besides UAW Factory useless Rat) Don't speed then you don't have to worry about it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Great Lakes Church Troy, MI (Sep '16) Jul 11 SarahG 9
News 48 Hours: Best things to do in Metro Detroit Jun 30 you hate the truth 3
Lions Club Jubilee Jun '17 MikeONTV 1
Up and coming Viral Star Jun '17 Modiprime 33 1
jim mcmahon (Jan '10) Jun '17 littlejerry 2
Review: Village Square Co-Operative (Feb '09) May '17 Terry47 28
Looking for housekeeper Livin in May '17 Robin 1

Rochester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rochester Mortgages