Cops' jobs tied to ticket totals

Full story: Detroit News 120
Police officers in Metro Detroit are often ordered to write a certain number of moving violations -- but chiefs issuing those edicts are careful not to use the "Q" word. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Peterrr A

Oak Park, MI

#1 Nov 21, 2008
That's great. Another way to tax the middle class. I'm all for people who speed through our subdivisions and blow red lights to get tickets. That's one thing. However, if cops are required to get their quotas, who's to say they won't just pull over anyone just to write a ticket? What about those times where a cop wouldn't normally write a ticket? I guess he will now.
zzzzz

AOL

#2 Nov 21, 2008
its all about the money, better known as the "QUOTA"
Here is the deal

Pontiac, MI

#3 Nov 21, 2008
Peterrr A wrote:
However, if cops are required to get their quotas, who's to say they won't just pull over anyone just to write a ticket? What about those times where a cop wouldn't normally write a ticket? I guess he will now.
This going on alredy everywhere in Metro Detroit.
Take michigan avenue, Right there near that Motel, In Inkster ,MI not far from the district court. There is a police at this spot every saturday between 7 am and 11:30 am.
When you go to court expect to pay at least $160.
Art Teacher

Canton, MI

#4 Nov 22, 2008
This is CRAZY. Not needing to ticket should be seen as a good thing. So, what happens? Officers give out non-deserving tickets to keep their jobs and the public have to deal with protesting the ticket, money payment, points on licenses, etc. This is not a good idea.
Meat

Westlake, OH

#5 Nov 22, 2008
Shelby Twp does have quotas. Two a day keeps the boss away. Don't blame the officers who are just trying to keep their job.

Call Five-Eight-Six Seven-Three-One Two-One-Two-One and complain to the higher ups.
Xanadu

Gaylord, MI

#6 Nov 23, 2008
A ticket is for someone who doesn't follow the law.

IF you'd get a ticket you can go to court to plead your case.

Never realized so many with lead feet played the violin!
Government Foe

Madison Heights, MI

#7 Nov 23, 2008
Xanadu wrote:
A ticket is for someone who doesn't follow the law.
IF you'd get a ticket you can go to court to plead your case.
Never realized so many with lead feet played the violin!
LOL....how true, X. I often wonder why so many people whine about receiving a ticket. Then again, I actually know why, it's easier to blame somebody else. Simply put, don't break the law, don't receive a ticket.
Art Teacher

Canton, MI

#8 Nov 23, 2008
Government Foe wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL....how true, X. I often wonder why so many people whine about receiving a ticket. Then again, I actually know why, it's easier to blame somebody else. Simply put, don't break the law, don't receive a ticket.
I've received a ticket when I didn't "break the law." I worked a 60 hour per week job and wasn't able to fight it. Ends up I gave the city of Canton a lot of my hard earned money. The jack-ass who pulled me over was rude and wrong.
Anon

United States

#9 Dec 24, 2008
Art Teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
I've received a ticket when I didn't "break the law." I worked a 60 hour per week job and wasn't able to fight it. Ends up I gave the city of Canton a lot of my hard earned money. The jack-ass who pulled me over was rude and wrong.
Well that way your are talking make you sound the jack-ass and I would be more inclined to believe the police officer over you.
BT express

Aiea, HI

#10 Dec 24, 2008
As was pointed out in the article not everyone is the bad guy here...granted that there are those who break the law and of course they are deserving of tickets, but there is the other side of the coin and that is the opportunity to violate the law under the color of law...which is a violation itself, which I presume prompted the officers themselves to protest this means of measuring their productivity which should have been brought collectively to the attention of the Michigan Coalition on Law Enforcement Standards (MICOLE)...quota or not it still smells like a quota and the public is not dumb but inaction and non involvement does nothing to let them know that the public will not put up with this foolishness...start a lobbying effort to change and change will happen

“I'm back,,JACK”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#11 Dec 26, 2008
i would not shop or visit,Rochester
Tascaria

Novi, MI

#12 Dec 30, 2008
Quota's are wrong period! It invites abuse of power and as some of the comments already show, many rather believe the 'honest' police officer vs. the 'bad' offender.
But hey let's face it. It's all about the money and not about protection and safety. Hence the un-marked cop cars to get as many unsuspecting people.
Everyones blames speeding but you don't hear much about unsafe driving habits such as reading books, putting on make-up, yepping or texting on a phone, unsecured loads in pickup beds, mufflers scraping on the pavement ready to kill the poor guy driving behind, etc. etc. When does the police pull people over for this stuff?

Since: Mar 08

Grand Rapids, MI

#13 Dec 30, 2008
Quotas have been around for decades this isn't something new.
laura

Highland, MI

#14 Dec 30, 2008
every person who belives getting tickets is ok because its the law, well show me the law and not a statuary law (which is not law) you have a right to life, liberty and happiness as long as you do not infringe on someone else, you have a right to travel check out and learn your constatution and bill of rights because the courts are slowly taking your rights away unless you step up and take them back remember judges, cops magistrates all work for you, they took a oath and its time they uphold that oath
Smart Engineer

Westland, MI

#15 Dec 31, 2008
F-in worthless pigs. I thought the Wasteland cops were pathetic with the seatbelt patrols. Drive through Livonia between six and eight AM...

“I'm back,,JACK”

Location hidden

#17 Dec 31, 2008
Smart Engineer wrote:
F-in worthless pigs. I thought the Wasteland cops were pathetic with the seatbelt patrols. Drive through Livonia between six and eight AM...
it's not the f-ing pigs fault.it's more the corrupt CITY GOVERMENTS..spending 2 much and JUNK,normal people DON't need 4 a city,,NOW forces POLICE 2 become MONEY provides then protection .BLAME the MAYOR of WATERFORD.!!!
little ol me

Plymouth, MI

#18 Jan 1, 2009
One of my co-workers recently got a ticket for turning left when the light was yellow (Left on yellow)!
There are many intersections in Canton that should then get a left turn arrow light because during busy hours you can't turn left during green and sometimes can't even turn on the yellow light because so many people run through the yellow light, so people are turning left as it turns red. Joy & Lilley between 5-6 pm is a good example. Try to turn left onto Joy from NB Lilley Road at that time during the green light.

“I'm back,,JACK”

Location hidden

#19 Jan 1, 2009
Troy,Michigan has the best left turns in the county.

“I'm back,,JACK”

Location hidden

#21 Jan 2, 2009
Nasty rat pizza wrote:
If more people shot and killed cops during traffic stops, less cops would be apt to pull people over for piddly sh!t.
spoken like a true waterford-ite, say hello.the guys,,at MR.bigs',time out, crescent louge[old freddies].and the place near.keygo harbor.
Anon

United States

#22 Jan 5, 2009
Nasty rat pizza wrote:
If more people shot and killed cops during traffic stops, less cops would be apt to pull people over for piddly sh!t.
You people are seriously sick. That is what is wrong with this country! That you would even write something like that is wrong. They do their jobs everyday to protect the idiots out there like you!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
~~!!!!Last Post!!!!~~ (Aug '13) 20 hr retro bush 26
Health Care - Troy, MI (Sep '09) 22 hr retro bush 13
Areas of Troy left without power after Wednesda... (Sep '13) Tue tinglecheese 8
This question is for the girls. Tue tinglecheese 2
Coffee isn't the only thing that's hot at shop (Jun '07) Tue tinglecheese 11
Review: Northern Lakes Seafood Restaurant Sep 29 Super Pete 3
Panic in Detroit: Forty years after the rioting (Feb '09) Sep 29 funk brotha 10
Rochester Dating
Find my Match

Rochester Jobs