Michigan University Shuts After Threats

Michigan University Shuts After Threats

There are 6 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 13, 2008, titled Michigan University Shuts After Threats. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Threatening graffiti found in three men's restrooms led Oakland University to cancel campus classes, sports and cultural activities for two days.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

car 54

Chicago, IL

#1 Apr 13, 2008
ok, so now every kid that doesn't study for the big test, just make a threat and school is closed..........

this is just goofy. living in fear of a pretend boogy man.
Idiotic

Elgin, IL

#2 Apr 13, 2008
Terrific. Any idiot with a pen can close an entire college campus. No, I am not blaming the school, I know what's been happening in the news. But the terrorists are winning. I'm not just talking Islamic terrorists. By defintion, terrorism is making people fearful through their actions. It's bad enough we need to be scared of guns and bombs. Now we need to be scared of pens and magic markers? Here it comes. Now someone will tell me it is taking precautions, not fear. Please tell me the difference, since we did not used to close entire schools because of graffiti.
Maruska

Glenview, IL

#3 Apr 13, 2008
At this point, every student in the nation knows that all they have to do is write an anonymous threat in order to close the school down, the same thing happened after 9/11 at my school.

You know, when a person commits suicide by Metra train, Metra does not publicize the incident, in an effort to curb copycat actions. Schools should take the same approach to these incidents. Irresponsible students are creating massive disruptions for thousands of other people. So the next time a school closes down because of an anonymous threat scrawled on a bathroom wall (because, really, they have no choice. Can you imagine the fallout if something DID happen and it came out that there was warning? Yikes!), they should not announce it to the media and just take care of it quietly.
safety first

West Lafayette, IN

#4 Apr 13, 2008
I applaud the actions of the university. I hope they tear down the building where the graffiti was found and build a memorial to all of those who were scarred by viewing it.
Jenn D

Chicago, IL

#5 Apr 13, 2008
Maruska wrote:
At this point, every student in the nation knows that all they have to do is write an anonymous threat in order to close the school down, the same thing happened after 9/11 at my school.
It also happened at several schools follwing the shooting in Arkansas and Columbine throughout the country.
jeez

Akron, OH

#6 Apr 13, 2008
I'm an OU alum and former employee. This is very distressing. However, I have confidence that the police will do everything in their power to protect students. The school took all of the appropriate steps. They have to respond in situtations like this because it is the most dangerous time of the year. They also don't want to be held liable if an incident were to occur.

This is a likely a copycat crime and I hope that anyone that knows anything about this incident will turn the jerk in.

As far as publicizing the incident, I can assure you all that the last thing that the school did was make an announcement to the media. After 18,000 students recieve emails and a message is posted on the school website, it is hard to keep the media from sensationalizing the situation. All they are trying to do now is damage control. An incident like this does not boost enrollment!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Troy (Nov '17) 6 hr mariana 36
News Exam today in bar shooting (Mar '06) May 20 Wwe 30
Stant Manufacturing May 19 Lumpy 1
News How my president's tariffs would cripple my com... May 16 Dee Dee Dee 2
Parking in front of other people's homes (Sep '11) May 8 Tuckpendelton 49
Trump and Republicans Work against Working clas... May 3 Tim 1
Review: Village Square Co-Operative (Feb '09) Apr 26 jerry 35

Rochester Jobs

Personal Finance

Rochester Mortgages