Michigan lawmaker 'outraged' over zoo tax diversion

Jan 25, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Detroit Free Press

A state lawmaker from Oakland County said she plans to introduce legislation that would force all communities in southeast Michigan to render to the Detroit Zoo all taxes that's collected under its millage.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
confused

Clayton, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2013

This is exactly why citizens should not vote fer these millages for these institutions. This proves the way of collection and distribution of these funds is corrupt similar to many fiascos in Wayne county and other cities and counties in USA. These millages aren't intended for pay raises and other ridiculous perks. What is a breakdown of how these local tax dollars r spent? Folks don't vote fer these in future.if well to do citizens want to donate let them but don't require every Joe blow to fund it. I have never been to zoo or CIA or many others. Creative ways of funding r the key.and for a decade? Please!
Pete

Livonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2013

confused wrote:
This is exactly why citizens should not vote fer these millages for these institutions. This proves the way of collection and distribution of these funds is corrupt similar to many fiascos in Wayne county and other cities and counties in USA. These millages aren't intended for pay raises and other ridiculous perks. What is a breakdown of how these local tax dollars r spent? Folks don't vote fer these in future.if well to do citizens want to donate let them but don't require every Joe blow to fund it. I have never been to zoo or CIA or many others. Creative ways of funding r the key.and for a decade? Please!
The breakdown of how these moneys are spent is clear. They are spent on downtown development. That includes such things as sidewalks with pavers and seating benches, shrubs and railings, etc. But the money doesn't belong to these DDA's. Macomb and Oakland counties have refused to steal the money like Wayne.

PS. I have never been to the CIA either. I have been to the zoo and DIA.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Rochester Discussions

Search the Rochester Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Direct tv refer a friend (Sep '12) Wed Mirna+Selena 41
Taylor schools, teachers union skip House panel... (Feb '13) Apr 14 Art Merkl 6
Daniel Howes: Orr sets record straight on stall... Apr 3 Steve 3
SMART asks Macomb, Wayne, Oakland officials to ... Apr 3 Steve 4
Defenders: Warning to parents about heroin use Apr 1 Brian Adam 2
A community grieves with family after party sto... Mar 31 kurt and darlene 1
daniel somoskey Mar 28 sad friend of a friendDAN 1
•••
•••