Door of opportunity closes on a bid to raise sales tax

There are 17 comments on the WZZM Grand Rapids story from Sep 6, 2007, titled Door of opportunity closes on a bid to raise sales tax. In it, WZZM Grand Rapids reports that:

The tax-hike door opened briefly at the state Capitol on Wednesday, as legislative leaders considered asking voters to approve a one-penny sales tax increase to deal with the state budget crisis.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WZZM Grand Rapids.

Lucy

Grand Rapids, MI

#1 Sep 6, 2007
I'm a little concerned about this, because now, they may increase the state income tax!! The way I understood it, it was going to be one or the other!
Wonder Y

United States

#3 Sep 6, 2007
If you know your State politics you should understand that the Republicans are dragging their feet on raising revenue to balance the budget. They got their Small Business Tax lowered but the State Senate (which is a Republican majority) won't pass any bill to replace the SBT or any form of tax increase. The fact is with fewer workers in the State us citizens must pay more to keep the State running. Write to your State Senate Republican and tell them to get this done. Check the facts. They are dragging their feet to make our Governor look bad. We need a tax increse and the Republicans must do their job to get this done. The deadline is near.
Bob V

Lakeview, MI

#4 Sep 6, 2007
The Governor is looking bad all on her own, thank you very much. Tax the crap out of a business and see what happens? They leave state. My Dad always told me... a poor man never gave you a job!

This 'tax the rich' bit is old... over 85% of all taxes paid are paid by the upper 10% of the earners... and only 4% of the taxes paid are paid by the bottom 50% of the earners. That's why they can constantly harp 'the rich are getting more money back on a tax break!' Well yeah... they paid most of it, why shouldn't they get it back?
Cory

Lima, OH

#5 Sep 6, 2007
You don't have to raise revenue to balance the budget. Reducing spending will accomplish the same thing.
Tight WadGR

Detroit, MI

#6 Sep 6, 2007
The Democrats are bound and determined to spend money the state does not have! This budget should and could be balanced with CUTS and REFORMS that the legislators do not have the courage to make. They would rather extort the money out of the citizens of Michigan. This shows leadership and responsibility? I think not! Please contact your Legislators and tell them NO TAX INCREASES! Do the Responsibile thing and live within your budget! DO NOT SPEND WHAT YOU DON'T HAVE! What a bunch of IDIOTS!
Tight WadGR

Detroit, MI

#7 Sep 6, 2007
The Republicans need to hold firm on the NO TAX INCREASES. Let the Government shut down! Make the Democrats get some "backbone" and courage, and vote for the TAX INCREASES they want. We can deal with them either through RECALL or at the NEXT ELECTION! The REPUBLICANS need to get the "BACKBONE" to make the cuts necessary to balance the budget! Who's looking out for the TAXPAYERS of MICHIGAN? NO ONE!
Jacab

Grand Rapids, MI

#8 Sep 6, 2007
Our state government claims any tax increase to be "temporary", please don't buy into it. If you remember, the sales tax increase from 4% to 6% was also "temporary". Different year, same old story. I think it's about time the government trims some of their fringe benefits, such as their pensions, salaries, and health care. Take a few minutes to look into what they receive even after leaving office. Personally, what they get makes me ill to think about.

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#9 Sep 6, 2007
Wonder Y wrote:
If you know your State politics you should understand that the Republicans are dragging their feet on raising revenue to balance the budget. They got their Small Business Tax lowered but the State Senate (which is a Republican majority) won't pass any bill to replace the SBT or any form of tax increase. The fact is with fewer workers in the State us citizens must pay more to keep the State running. Write to your State Senate Republican and tell them to get this done. Check the facts. They are dragging their feet to make our Governor look bad. We need a tax increse and the Republicans must do their job to get this done. The deadline is near.
Check your facts, increasing taxes will NEVER increase revenue. People will cut BACK on their spending with more taxes involved. How is that going to raise revenue when less people are spending money?

Another thought, because more people are out of work (and even more with the announcement of VW leaving), less and less people are paying the taxes. Why should less people pay MORE taxes for the broken social programs and the new social programs the governor wants to bring in?
Charles Snyder

Lakeview, MI

#10 Sep 6, 2007
raising the sales tax without addressing the other suppressive tax issues would be counter productive. We need the Fair Tax which would eliminate the taxes that are driving jobs out of MI and cause our state to change course. Granholm seems only able to drive jobs away. We need a complete restructuring of the tax code to make it fair.
911aaa

Canton, MI

#11 Sep 6, 2007
hmmm
hypocrisy killer

Portage, MI

#12 Sep 6, 2007
This reminds me of last summer, when some punk kid was collecting signatures to get a "repeal the SBT" measure on the ballot at the door of my local post office.

More than once I got into an argument with this no brain and tried to convince him that if the SBT goes, who do you think will pay? That's right! He will. This story about proposing a sales tax increase or alternate tax increase like it prove the point.

So, next time you see some guy peddling a petition while wearing grundgy clothes and getting paid per signature read the fine print first before you sign. Who will the ballot measure really benefit? You or mr. deep pockets?

The worst thing that can happen when you sign some of these things is that you actually support something in writing that ends up screwing you in the end. Literally.
Beth

Manistee, MI

#13 Sep 6, 2007
Glad it didn't pan out!!!!!
mhl

Grand Rapids, MI

#14 Sep 6, 2007
If we could eliminate Grandholm from this picture we could heal our fine state. GRANDHOLM DO THE DECENT THING AND RESIGN!!!
Wonder Y

United States

#15 Sep 6, 2007
Where do you mastermines think the money should come from? The people of Michigan demand public services, better roads, and oh yes Education! It is a sad fact that the State coffers are strapped. Let me get on a soap box for a minute... Did you know that 80% of prisioners do not have a highschool education? Now you want to cut more spending? Our roads are some of the worst in the country, crime is rising, and our student to teacher ratio is on the rise. Why wouldn't anybody be in favor of investing in this States future? We are turning into a me me me society. I will expand on my previous post. The Republican State Senate has been sitting on many ways to increase revenue. They are dragging their feet only for political reasons. If they were concerned about us middle class people they would find ways to raise more money. If you think for one second they care about us 'common folk' you are wrong. That is why your ex-canidate spent 125 million dollars to run for office. Not becuase he cared about us, it was all about special interests. If you want to live like a Republican, vote for a Democrat. Peace
No New Taxes

Amelia Court House, VA

#16 Sep 7, 2007
Wonder Y wrote:
If you know your State politics you should understand that the Republicans are dragging their feet on raising revenue to balance the budget. They got their Small Business Tax lowered but the State Senate (which is a Republican majority) won't pass any bill to replace the SBT or any form of tax increase. The fact is with fewer workers in the State us citizens must pay more to keep the State running. Write to your State Senate Republican and tell them to get this done. Check the facts. They are dragging their feet to make our Governor look bad. We need a tax increse and the Republicans must do their job to get this done. The deadline is near.
If you know your economics then you should understand that the best way to stall an economy is to raise taxes. Apparently the Senate Republicans are the only ones in Lansing who seem to understand that. Abolishing the SBT allows companies to keep more of their own revenue to help create jobs, thus creating more tax payers. The SBT won't NEED to be replaced when we get the economy moving in this state. When you tax the hell out of the citizens who are left, all you are doing is choking the life out of the state's economy.
Wonder Y wrote:
If they were concerned about us middle class people they would find ways to raise more money. If you think for one second they care about us 'common folk' you are wrong
Your logic leaves much to be desired. The middle class "common folk" would suffer under a tax increase, yet you actually WANT the government to take more of your hard-earned money. You don't want the government to be faced with having to do more with less, but you are perfectly willing to place yourself in that very predicament.

If you part with more of your earnings in the form of taxes, you are not going to have enough money left to contribute to the economy in the manner of being a consumer. The reality that you must face is that economy is generated by people consuming things, and if people are giving their money all over to the government, then there is less left over for the consumer. Economics 101.

“Lost my mind”

Since: Apr 07

be back later

#17 Sep 7, 2007
Wonder Y wrote:
Where do you mastermines think the money should come from? The people of Michigan demand public services, better roads, and oh yes Education! It is a sad fact that the State coffers are strapped. Let me get on a soap box for a minute... Did you know that 80% of prisioners do not have a highschool education? Now you want to cut more spending?
What I want is RESPONSIBLE spending. If a social program is broken, FIX it or eliminate it. Throwing more money at the problem is NEVER going to fix it. What hasn't helped the state coffers is the 37% pay raise they allowed to go through for themselves a number of years back. They had the chance to vote that down and take a smaller one(who wouldn't want a raise?), but they let it slip through quietly. When the TAXPAYERS who PAY their salaries raised h e l l for it, they threw their hands up and said "there was nothing we could do!". Oh BS, they could have voted it down. In fact, there was a few of them that tried, but funny that was blocked! Go figure!

Did you know that Granholm has vetoed bills that would limit welfare to 4 years? She has also vetoed bills to have welfare recipients drug tested. Instead, she lets welfare addicts keep holding their hands out, not working for OUR money and doing whatever they please with it, including buying drugs and alcohol and things that are NOT suppose to be bought with it. If you would pay attention to what she wants the tax increase for, it's not just to balance the budget. Its to ADD MORE social programs! We have ones that don't work now! Why not fix those first before we throw more money at the situation? We have the highest amount of people on food stamps now. We have the highest unemployment rate in the nation. Who is going to pay in the increase in taxes?
Wonder Y wrote:
Our roads are some of the worst in the country, crime is rising, and our student to teacher ratio is on the rise. Why wouldn't anybody be in favor of investing in this States future? We are turning into a me me me society. I will expand on my previous post. The Republican State Senate has been sitting on many ways to increase revenue. They are dragging their feet only for political reasons. If they were concerned about us middle class people they would find ways to raise more money. If you think for one second they care about us 'common folk' you are wrong. That is why your ex-canidate spent 125 million dollars to run for office. Not becuase he cared about us, it was all about special interests. If you want to live like a Republican, vote for a Democrat. Peace
Did you know we pay one of the highest gas taxes in the nation? Where does that money go for the roads? We only get a small percentage of our federal gas tax back for our roads. Instead, they go to building bridges to nowhere in ALASKA! Why aren't we getting more money back?

Do you really think the dems care about the "little people"? Do you realize how many of them in the Federal Congress are millionares? Do they really care that the "common folk" are struggling day to do? No, they only care how much more money they can ROB from us for their pet projects!

If you want to have the state and the feds take care of you like a little child, vote for the dems. If you want to actually survive on your own and keep your HARD EARNED money, vote for someone else!
Lucy

Grand Rapids, MI

#18 Sep 7, 2007
Wow, WonderY - sounds like you really bought into that socialistic party line, huh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ex-Catholic teacher pleads guilty to sex with s... 9 hr beatlesinafog 16
News Troy Times looks back on 31 years May 12 CITYOFTROYMICHIGAN 1
Review: Baghdad Restaurant (Jul '14) May 8 Cat Stevens 4
News Some Lawmakers Want Summer Vacation Canceled May 8 benny hill 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Lake Orion, MI (Aug '10) Apr '15 sara Betts 11
O malleys Apr '15 777bls 1
Dead Deer Cult in dodge park Apr '15 Sterling2015 3
More from around the web

Rochester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]