Anti-smoking bill dies in Lansing today

Anti-smoking bill dies in Lansing today

There are 17 comments on the Detroit News story from Dec 21, 2008, titled Anti-smoking bill dies in Lansing today. In it, Detroit News reports that:

State lawmakers this morning abandoned, for this year, efforts to ban smoking in all workplaces, including bars, restaurants and casinos.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Detroit News.

“SECOND HAND SMOKE IS A JOKE ”

Since: Dec 08

tobacco road

#2 Dec 22, 2008
lets hope all the prohibitionist forces start smoking,they need something to re;ax them.

Since: Apr 08

Livonia, MI

#3 Dec 22, 2008
I, for one Michigander, hate the smell of cigarette smoke. It smells as bad as a Texas port-o-john on a midsummer Texan day. Saying that, I donít think we need this law. I can easily vote whether an establishment wants to allow smokers or not by spending my money there. If I clearly smell the smoke and they can not/will not move me to a more suited location, I leave and state the reason Iím leaving. Over the past few years Iíve seen the size of smoking area drop remarkably in most, larger restaurants. But a few small mom and pop have increased the smoking area. More smokers are moving to these small venues to avoid the hassle at the larger ones. A few chains have gone smoke free.
Again non-smokers can vote by using their dollars. The government needs to focus on other issues than this useless matter.

“SECOND HAND SMOKE IS A JOKE ”

Since: Dec 08

tobacco road

#4 Dec 22, 2008
Soda Tax wrote:
How stupid and childish! If these laws are needed, then we would like to know WHY THEY ARE NEEDED, right? Duhhhhh...
These stupid 'christian folks, and not just them, but other foolish people think that by 'enacting' and creating laws, American is going into the laundromat and come out clean as a whistle!
Well, do I have news for America!!!!
If we could only get people to CLEAN THEIR HEARTS, all these anti-smoking/anti-drugs/anti- drinking laws would just be useless.
Bottom Line: CLEAN YOUR HEARTS AMERICA, and the REST will follow......BTW....Only G*d has ACCESS to your heart.....so go figure!
Cheers, and have a wonderful Holiday Season!
Earth to dude, it isnt just moral busybodies...this entire prohibition movement is the liberal green progressives handy work....robert wood johnson foundation along with their PAID WHORES the ACS and ALA.........With big pharma footing the bill........whats in it for them big bucks selling cessation drugs.......whats in it for freedom.........less of it and even more draconian laws against the people.........fat folks,smokers,fireplace lovers,cookout lovers..........ALCOHOL.....th ere is no end to what these green wacks will prohibiti next..........trust us when we tell you their after you too.
black boy pimp11

Griffin, GA

#5 Dec 22, 2008
does that mean we cant smoke no weed while we work too.

“SECOND HAND SMOKE IS A JOKE ”

Since: Dec 08

tobacco road

#6 Dec 22, 2008
black boy pimp11 wrote:
does that mean we cant smoke no weed while we work too.
naa mano,smoke all ya want,us smokers and pot smokers have become allies by virtue of a mutal enemy now its called the GOVERNMENT.
SkidRoad

Tacoma, WA

#7 Dec 23, 2008
Join the Wonderful West Coast in saying no to tobacco.

Good luck and long life to you!

“Veritas Vincit. Pro Libertate”

Since: Jun 08

peoples republic of Madison

#8 Dec 23, 2008
SkidRoad wrote:
Join the Wonderful West Coast in saying no to tobacco.
Good luck and long life to you!
You mean the left coast don't you. The socialist capital of the Peoples Republic of the United States!

“SECOND HAND SMOKE IS A JOKE ”

Since: Dec 08

tobacco road

#9 Dec 24, 2008
Free_America wrote:
<quoted text>You mean the left coast don't you. The socialist capital of the Peoples Republic of the United States!
no truer words were ever spoken.

“Go Red Wings!!!”

Since: Oct 07

Plainfield Township MI

#10 Dec 25, 2008
SkidRoad wrote:
Join the Wonderful West Coast in saying no to tobacco.
Good luck and long life to you!
Good luck to you...isn't it wonderful when our government tells a business owner who they may or may not serve? Isn't it great when our government who couldn't pour pee out of a boot with directions written on the heel tell a business owner how to run their business? Good luck with your socialism...I'll stick with property owners' rights thank you very much.

“DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY!!!!!!!!!”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#11 Dec 25, 2008
I live in Tn. and they ban smoking in all public places. I being a smoker thinks it s*cks. Some places you can't even smoke outside. Only smoking places are 21 and older, and there are very few of those.
Freedom

United States

#13 Dec 28, 2008
Open question for the self righteous moral busybodies.

When like minded individuals lose the right to gather indoors on private property to enjoy a LEGAL lifestyle choice...what loss of rights would you quote?

If your kind can now do this to one LEGAL lifestyle...what protects others who fall into your cross hairs?

Since: Aug 08

Golden Valley,Az.

#14 Dec 28, 2008
Freedom wrote:
Open question for the self righteous moral busybodies.
When like minded individuals lose the right to gather indoors on private property to enjoy a LEGAL lifestyle choice...what loss of rights would you quote?
If your kind can now do this to one LEGAL lifestyle...what protects others who fall into your cross hairs?
I say if we are going to invade private property lets do it right. All the millions of home business should be inspected as are other business. If they have invited a friend then it is public space subject to all rules of public space. That also applies to all ebay sellers. I wonder how many homes could stand up to a government inspection. By the way that would give the government the right to come in your house any time.Hell I guess any one could since it is now public space.
Freedom

United States

#15 Dec 28, 2008
azmac wrote:
<quoted text>
I say if we are going to invade private property lets do it right. All the millions of home business should be inspected as are other business. If they have invited a friend then it is public space subject to all rules of public space. That also applies to all ebay sellers. I wonder how many homes could stand up to a government inspection. By the way that would give the government the right to come in your house any time.Hell I guess any one could since it is now public space.
They have already banned smoking in peoples homes under the guise of non-ownership. Legal lifestyle choices in one's home are illegal under bans that cover apartments...even if the owner wishes to allow it.

It's not much of a stretch to expand this to homes that have a mortgage. Technically the bank owns the home until full payment is made.

Remember....it's for the C H I L D R E N.

Since: Aug 08

Golden Valley,Az.

#16 Dec 28, 2008
Freedom wrote:
<quoted text>
They have already banned smoking in peoples homes under the guise of non-ownership. Legal lifestyle choices in one's home are illegal under bans that cover apartments...even if the owner wishes to allow it.
It's not much of a stretch to expand this to homes that have a mortgage. Technically the bank owns the home until full payment is made.
Remember....it's for the C H I L D R E N.
What is really sad all this could happen.
Now I know why we have so many homeless and starving kids, the government is involved. Every thing they touch turns to crap. Instead of the Midis touch, they have the crap touch. I can not think of one thing that the government has been in control of that has turned out good. Damn there must be one.
Government Foe

Royal Oak, MI

#17 Dec 28, 2008
545 Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them.
Have you ever wondered why, if both the Democrats and the Republicans are against deficits, WHY do we have deficits?
Have you ever wondered why, if all the politicians are against inflation and high taxes, WHY do we have inflation and high taxes?
You and I don't propose a federal budget. The President does.
You and I don't have the Constitutional authority to vote on appropriations. The House of Representatives does.
You and I don't write the tax code, Congress does.
You and I don't set fiscal policy, Congress does.
You and I don't control monetary policy, the Federal Reserve Bank does.
One hundred senators, 435 congressmen, one president, and nine Supreme Court justices 545 human beings out of the 300 million are directly, legally, morally, and individually responsible for the domestic problems that plague this country.
I excluded the members of the Federal Reserve Board because that problem was created by the Congress. In 1913, Congress delegated its Constitutional duty to provide a sound currency to a federally chartered, but private, central bank.
I excluded all the special interests and lobbyists for a sound reason. They have no legal authority. They have no ability to coerce a senator, a congressman, or a president to do one cotton-picking thing. I don't care if they offer a politician $1 million dollars in cash. The politician has the power to accept or reject it. No matter what the lobbyist promises, it is the legislator's responsibility to determine how he votes.
Those 545 human beings spend much of their energy convincing you that what they did is not their fault. They cooperate in this common con regardless of party.
What separates a politician from a normal human being is an excessive amount of gall. No normal human being would have the gall of a Speaker, who stood up and criticized the President for creating deficits. The president can only propose a budget. He cannot force the Congress to accept it.
The Constitution, which is the supreme law of the land, gives sole responsibility to the House of Representatives for originating and approving appropriations and taxes. Who is the speaker of the House? She is the leader of the majority party. She and fellow House members, not the president, can approve any budget they want. If the president vetoes it, they can pass it over his veto if they agree to.
Government Foe

Royal Oak, MI

#18 Dec 28, 2008
It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million can not replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts -- of incompetence and irresponsibility. I can't think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people. When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.
If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair.
If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red.
If the Army & Marines are in IRAQ , it's because they want them in IRAQ.
If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it's because they want it that way.
There are no insoluble government problems.
Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power. Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like 'the economy,''inflation,' or 'politics' that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.
Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible.
They, and they alone, have the power.
They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses
provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees.

-Charlie Reese-

Since: Aug 08

Golden Valley,Az.

#19 Dec 28, 2008
Government Foe wrote:
It seems inconceivable to me that a nation of 300 million can not replace 545 people who stand convicted -- by present facts -- of incompetence and irresponsibility. I can't think of a single domestic problem that is not traceable directly to those 545 people. When you fully grasp the plain truth that 545 people exercise the power of the federal government, then it must follow that what exists is what they want to exist.
If the tax code is unfair, it's because they want it unfair.
If the budget is in the red, it's because they want it in the red.
If the Army & Marines are in IRAQ , it's because they want them in IRAQ.
If they do not receive social security but are on an elite retirement plan not available to the people, it's because they want it that way.
There are no insoluble government problems.
Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they hire and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice they can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and from whom they can take this power. Above all, do not let them con you into the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like 'the economy,''inflation,' or 'politics' that prevent them from doing what they take an oath to do.
Those 545 people, and they alone, are responsible.
They, and they alone, have the power.
They, and they alone, should be held accountable by the people who are their bosses
provided the voters have the gumption to manage their own employees.
-Charlie Reese-
In short we the people are supposed to be in charge not the government. They are supposed to work for not us for them. It is the peoples fault for letting all this happen and continue to happen

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rochester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Great Lakes Church Troy, MI (Sep '16) Jul 11 SarahG 9
News 48 Hours: Best things to do in Metro Detroit Jun 30 you hate the truth 3
Lions Club Jubilee Jun '17 MikeONTV 1
Up and coming Viral Star Jun '17 Modiprime 33 1
jim mcmahon (Jan '10) Jun '17 littlejerry 2
Review: Village Square Co-Operative (Feb '09) May '17 Terry47 28
Looking for housekeeper Livin in May '17 Robin 1

Rochester Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rochester Mortgages