Workers at biggest fast food companie...

Workers at biggest fast food companies need billions in public assistance

Posted in the Robbinsdale Forum

Fair Is Fair

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Oct 18, 2013
Walmart isn't the only corporate giant relying on government assistance to make up for the low, low wages it pays its workers. According to a new report from the University of California-Berkeley Labor Center, 52 percent of front-line fast food workers are on some form of public assistance, at a cost of nearly $7 billion a year. And the 10 largest fast food companies account for $3.8 billion of that, the National Employment Law Project estimates.
The UC-Berkeley study only looks at participation in Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), the Earned Income Tax Credit, food stamps, and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families; if it included all government programs, such as child-care subsidies and reduced price school lunches, the total would be higher. That's because fast food restaurants pay wages so low that even the families of full-time fast food workers rely on public programs—the median income for people working more than 10 hours a week 27 or more weeks per year in nonmanagerial fast food jobs is $8.69 an hour.

The companies benefiting from all that low-wage labor and the food stamps and health care assistance needed for workers to get by are doing just fine. Last year, the 10 largest fast food companies earned $7.44 billion in profits, paid their top executives $52.7 million, and distributed $7.7 billion in dividends and buybacks, according to NELP. Meanwhile:

See story and graph at http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/10/15/1247...

Judged:

20

19

17

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LIbEralS

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Oct 18, 2013
Walmart isn't relying on government assistance, minimum wage earners are. So exactly what is your point?

Judged:

17

17

17

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Since: Sep 11

Rogers, MN

#5 Oct 18, 2013
LIbEralS wrote:
Walmart isn't relying on government assistance, minimum wage earners are. So exactly what is your point?
You beat me to the punch on that one. Walmart is relying on people who can't or won't go out and find a better paying job. Not unlike that recent story about the McDonalds employee who had been working there for seven years and wanted to unionize. Which indicated that this particular worker had been there for seven years and yet never moved in to a management position.

Judged:

14

14

14

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Smart Liberal

Baltimore, MD

#10 Oct 20, 2013
So what is your point - should we deny health care to the one in four US workers that makes less than $10 per hour?

Is that your idea of a Christian country? And do you REALLY think that Jesus would have supported your idea?

Judged:

14

14

12

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LIbEralS

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Oct 20, 2013
Smart Liberal wrote:
So what is your point - should we deny health care to the one in four US workers that makes less than $10 per hour?
Is that your idea of a Christian country? And do you REALLY think that Jesus would have supported your idea?
That is really rich, a liberal talking about what is "Christain"!

Judged:

11

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Awful Truth

New York, NY

#12 Oct 20, 2013
Almost as rich as a teabagger attempting to spell "Christian".

How can you be something that you can't even spell?

Judged:

12

11

11

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LIbEralS

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Oct 20, 2013
Awful Truth wrote:
Almost as rich as a teabagger attempting to spell "Christian".
How can you be something that you can't even spell?
Your simple distraction from the truth is just that, a distraction.
Arch on Larch

Detroit, MI

#15 Oct 21, 2013
LIbEralS wrote:
<quoted text>
Your simple distraction from the truth is just that, a distraction.
Here's the truth:

Walmart isn't the only corporate giant relying on government assistance to make up for the low, low wages it pays its workers. According to a new report from the University of California-Berkeley Labor Center, 52 percent of front-line fast food workers are on some form of public assistance, at a cost of nearly $7 billion a year. And the 10 largest fast food companies account for $3.8 billion of that, the National Employment Law Project estimates.
The UC-Berkeley study only looks at participation in Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), the Earned Income Tax Credit, food stamps, and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families; if it included all government programs, such as child-care subsidies and reduced price school lunches, the total would be higher. That's because fast food restaurants pay wages so low that even the families of full-time fast food workers rely on public programs—the median income for people working more than 10 hours a week 27 or more weeks per year in nonmanagerial fast food jobs is $8.69 an hour.

The companies benefiting from all that low-wage labor and the food stamps and health care assistance needed for workers to get by are doing just fine. Last year, the 10 largest fast food companies earned $7.44 billion in profits, paid their top executives $52.7 million, and distributed $7.7 billion in dividends and buybacks, according to NELP.

Judged:

12

12

10

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
LIbEralS

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Oct 22, 2013
Arch on Larch wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the truth:
Walmart isn't the only corporate giant relying on government assistance to make up for the low, low wages it pays its workers. According to a new report from the University of California-Berkeley Labor Center, 52 percent of front-line fast food workers are on some form of public assistance, at a cost of nearly $7 billion a year. And the 10 largest fast food companies account for $3.8 billion of that, the National Employment Law Project estimates.
The UC-Berkeley study only looks at participation in Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), the Earned Income Tax Credit, food stamps, and Temporary Assistance for Needy Families; if it included all government programs, such as child-care subsidies and reduced price school lunches, the total would be higher. That's because fast food restaurants pay wages so low that even the families of full-time fast food workers rely on public programs—the median income for people working more than 10 hours a week 27 or more weeks per year in nonmanagerial fast food jobs is $8.69 an hour.
The companies benefiting from all that low-wage labor and the food stamps and health care assistance needed for workers to get by are doing just fine. Last year, the 10 largest fast food companies earned $7.44 billion in profits, paid their top executives $52.7 million, and distributed $7.7 billion in dividends and buybacks, according to NELP.
I get it now, government assistance programs are a bad thing. You must really hate the poor working class. Or, is it that you think they should just quit working and live better - off of the the Obama government? At least that would lock up more votes for the "progressive" party.
Stabbings dont make news

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Oct 23, 2013
Fast food should raise salaries, then raise their prices and their sales will plummet and they will close and all those well compensated employes won't have a job, 0 (zero) income.

Fast food isn't like gasoline, we don't have to have it.

“I am always right.”

Since: Oct 09

Former MN Taxpayer

#20 Oct 23, 2013
Stabbings dont make news wrote:
Fast food should raise salaries, then raise their prices and their sales will plummet and they will close and all those well compensated employes won't have a job, 0 (zero) income.
Fast food isn't like gasoline, we don't have to have it.
The following is a posting for a job at McDonalds in both Bismark and Minot, ND.

Position: Crew Person, Morning Shift

Pay:$11 and up

It's time you worked for someone who will give you the tools to learn, grow and be what you want to be - both personally and professionally. We're looking for hard working, enthusiastic individuals who want to be a part of a winning team. If you enjoy working with people and love to learn new things, we want to meet you.

As a Crew Person, you may be responsible for:

• Greeting customers with a smile
• Taking accurate food orders
• Preparing all of McDonald's World Famous food
• Partnering with other Crew and Managers to meet target goals during your shift
• Restaurant Cleanliness
• Ensuring items are well stocked

This position is available at the following location(s)

McDonald's
150 Bismarck Expressway
Bismarck, ND 58504

McDonald's
1400 24Th Avenue Sw
Minot, ND 58701

http://www.mcstate.com/careers/jobs/21460/...

----------

Starting at $11 per hour and up. Wow.

It really is pretty simple. The Law of Supply and Demand is just as important as ever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Robbinsdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 1 hr WHAT 36,792
Welfare Fraud in Fridley! 4 hr LIbEralS 7
Im a wimp 6 hr Space ace 2
Can't manage the gov & NOT honest or trustworthy (Nov '13) 10 hr LIbEralS 583
Civil War Illegal Immigration Showdown 13 hr cowboy chris 14
COPS got their man on a motorcycle 13 hr cowboy chris 2
Marine le pen Tue cowboy chris 2

Robbinsdale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Robbinsdale Mortgages