By jessica miller| The Salt Lake Tribune

American Fork ēAfter nearly five hours of deliberation, a jury late Friday night found Martin Cameron Bond guilty of the 2009 slaying of retired Brigham Young University professor Kay Mortensen.

A jury of five men and three women found the 25-year-old guilty of aggravated murder, three counts of aggravated kidnapping, and one count each of aggravated burglary and aggravated robbery.

"We kind of anticipated the facts of this case were lining up pretty heavily against Bond," said his attorney Rudy Bautista after the verdict.

Bondís attorneys said they plan to file an appeal based on issues with his co-defendantís testimony.

As part of his plea deal, Bond agreed to be sentenced to life without the possibility of parole if found guilty of aggravated murder. Though he already knows his sentence, Bond will be formerly sentenced on March 5, when Mortensenís family will be able to address the court.

"I donít feel victorious," Mortensenís wife, Darla Mortensen, told reporters after the verdict was read. "Iím happy that itís over Ö I feel like itís such a tragedy Ö Iím grateful that the truth has come out."

Mortensenís daughter-in-law, Pamela Mortensen, called the guilty verdict "a long time coming."

Pamela Mortensen and her husband, Roger Mortensen, were originally charged with the professorís murder, and were held in jail for five months before Bondís ex-wife tipped police.

"Due to false charges, family and friends turned on us," she said outside of court. "We are finally glad that the truth has come out that Roger and I were victims in this crime."

During closing arguments in 4th District Court, Bondís attorneys claimed he should be acquitted of aggravated murder because he was coerced to kill the 70-year-old man by confessed accomplice Benjamin David Rettig.

Read more at http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55656845-78...