Judge dismisses challenge to gay marriage barriers

Mar 9, 2011 Full story: www.startribune.com 111

Citing a 40-year-old precedent, a Hennepin County judge has dismissed a lawsuit that sought to remove legal barriers to gay marriage in Minnesota.

Read more
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Sgt Common Sense

Denver, CO

#1 Mar 9, 2011
Two steps forward, one step back. Been doing this for so long, it's really getting tiring.

“God hates me!”

Since: May 07

West Texas, USA

#2 Mar 9, 2011
In this case, the judge is citing precedence (even though it is 40 years outdated), but it does leave the door open.
I do not believe a judge can overturn a higher courts ruling either, so she did the proper procedural thing.
It would be up to the State Supreme Court to address on of their own past rulings.... and with the lack of legal argument to support banning gay marriage, I would expect these to keep falling one by one.

“SCOTUS will Rule in June for”

Since: Aug 08

MARRIAGE EQUALITY:-)

#3 Mar 9, 2011
Sgt Common Sense wrote:
Two steps forward, one step back. Been doing this for so long, it's really getting tiring.
I totally agree, but until Baker vs Nelson is overturned in Minnesota, the Judge made the right decision.......so, off to the appeal process!!!!

Good Luck with the fight!!!
MidAtlantic

Pompano Beach, FL

#4 Mar 9, 2011
The rise in atheists
The rise in Gay want to Marry
The decline in morals

The second coming is just around the corner to stop all this madness

I hope you are prepared

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#5 Mar 9, 2011
Gee I have a different take on it.

I see the rise of religious fundamentalism as a rise in fundamental stupidity, i.e. the dumbing down of America.
MidAtlantic wrote:
The rise in atheists
The decline in morals
I hope you are prepared

“God hates me!”

Since: May 07

West Texas, USA

#6 Mar 9, 2011
MidAtlantic wrote:
The rise in atheists
The decline in morals
I hope you are prepared
Yes...the "Gay Agenda" is succeeding!!!

I love how you guys call us an insignificant minority that wants special rights yet seem to think we have this world dominating power over everything.

Since: Mar 07

Washington DC

#7 Mar 9, 2011
MidAtlantic wrote:
The rise in atheists
The decline in morals
I hope you are prepared
If I were Xian, I'd be ready. I can face your St Peter with a clear conscience knowing that I've helped more people than I've hurt and have not judged or for my beliefs on those that do not believe as I do.

Can you say that? I doubt it after your post.

Washington DC

#8 Mar 9, 2011
That should have said "forced my beliefs"

I hate that you can't edit your comments after they've been posted...

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#9 Mar 9, 2011
This decision did not surprise me I always felt this would be the out come. Many are looking at this as bad news but its really good news because the appeal most likely will fail which then it can be brought to the State Supreme Court where today they will have a better chance in the higher court.
McCarthy was right

Windsor, CT

#10 Mar 9, 2011
aRodeojock wrote:
<quoted text>
If I were Xian, I'd be ready. I can face your St Peter with a clear conscience knowing that I've helped more people than I've hurt and have not judged or for my beliefs on those that do not believe as I do.
Can you say that? I doubt it after your post.
Really?

Dr Jekyll “helped more people” than he hurt as Mr Hyde. Somehow I doubt that St Peter would find that acceptable.

And have you remained silent as the ACLU and the homosexual/atheist activists have gone all out in their attempt to "force" their beliefs on the Boy Scouts?

Perhaps you should rethink and then rephrase your self-congratulatory argument.
:^)

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#11 Mar 9, 2011
Whenever people such as Chuck Darrell, communications director for the Minnesota Family Council, claim, ""This, coupled with several bills introduced in the Legislature last year to legalize same-sex marriage, is why we need to protect marriage with a marriage amendment," I always wonder if their Amendment will include a ban on divorce.

Now THAT would protect marriages!

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#12 Mar 9, 2011
MidAtlantic wrote:
The rise in atheists
The decline in morals
I hope you are prepared
But I've barely finished masturbating the first time.......

Tawas City, Michigan

#13 Mar 9, 2011
McCarthy was right wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Dr Jekyll “helped more people” than he hurt as Mr Hyde. Somehow I doubt that St Peter would find that acceptable.
And have you remained silent as the ACLU and the homosexual/atheist activists have gone all out in their attempt to "force" their beliefs on the Boy Scouts?
You've really got a boner for the BSA-KKK don't you. Do you bring them up on EVERY topic now just because you have no argument on the subject at hand?
Tru Dat

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Mar 9, 2011
The Supreme Court will not allow gay marriage to pass. They are 5 good guys to 4 left wing activist judges. And, in the end the good guys always win!

Tawas City, Michigan

#15 Mar 9, 2011
Tru Dat wrote:
The Supreme Court will not allow gay marriage to pass. They are 5 good guys to 4 left wing activist judges. And, in the end the good guys always win!
Psst, you need to count again. One of your "good guys" (Justice Kennedy) authored the majority ruling in Lawrence v Texas which gave gays the same right to consensual sex as heteros have. He also sided against the college christian club that wanted to ban gays.

DOMA will be overturned 5-4, maybe even 6-3.

Washington DC

#16 Mar 9, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Psst, you need to count again. One of your "good guys" (Justice Kennedy) authored the majority ruling in Lawrence v Texas which gave gays the same right to consensual sex as heteros have. He also sided against the college christian club that wanted to ban gays.
DOMA will be overturned 5-4, maybe even 6-3.
And don't forget Scalia even said in the dissent that the Lawrence decision basically gave them opened the way for marriage equality...

Washington DC

#17 Mar 9, 2011
McCarthy was right wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Last I checked Jekyll & Hyde were fictional characters.

And who's forcing beliefs on the BSA now? At issue was a member's right to be out. He wanted the right to continue. There was nothing in Dale's character that they objected to other than his sexuality. But in the end, they got their decision. They can legally discriminate. And more power to them. That issue was laid to rest years ago. Now, they just can't use taxpayer monies to do it in most jurisdictions.

And Pssst, I'm not an athiest.
McCarthy was right

Windsor, CT

#18 Mar 9, 2011
aRodeojock wrote:
<quoted text>
Last I checked Jekyll & Hyde were fictional characters.
And who's forcing beliefs on the BSA now? At issue was a member's right to be out. He wanted the right to continue. There was nothing in Dale's character that they objected to other than his sexuality. But in the end, they got their decision. They can legally discriminate. And more power to them. That issue was laid to rest years ago. Now, they just can't use taxpayer monies to do it in most jurisdictions.
And Pssst, I'm not an athiest.
My goodness, ANOTHER self-satisfied ignoramus who emotes rather than engaging in either fact or logic.

That Jekyll & Hyde are fictional characters has nothing to do with the point, you funny little man. Ever hear of an allegory?

Dale was a Constitutional issue of the BSA’s freedom of speech and freedom of association, not Dale’s “right to be out.”

“laid to rest years ago?”“Who’s forcing beliefs on the BSA now?” Your comments suggest that you’re either a liar, in denial, or living in a vacuum. In spite of losing most of the time, the ACLU and the homosexual/atheist activists have never stopped their war, both legal and illegal, against the Boy Scouts. The most recent is just now concluding with the City of Philadelphia being slapped down and penalized by the courts for attempting to deny the BSA its Constitutional rights.

And, pssst, I didn’t say you’re an athiest (sic).
McCarthy was right

Windsor, CT

#19 Mar 9, 2011
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
You've really got a boner for the BSA-KKK don't you. Do you bring them up on EVERY topic now just because you have no argument on the subject at hand?
Hey, it's Sheep, the self-described racist sociopath.

I plan to continue drawing the parallels as long as the homosexual community remains silent in the face of the continuing attacks against the Boy Scouts by the ACLU and the homosexual/atheist activists.

Why? Got a problem with my airing the subject out ? You'd rather they conduct their little war out of the public eye, wouldn't you?
Frank Stanton

New York, NY

#20 Mar 9, 2011
MidAtlantic wrote:
The rise in atheists
The decline in morals
I hope you are prepared
Of couse I am ! I attend my church, "St. John's Third Reformed German Lutheran Church & Microbrewery of Tobyhanna" EVERY Sunday. Me and my "Pastor & Brewmaster" talk about this often, and ALL of the parishoners have COLD beer from our brewery ALWAYS ready at home in case Jesus shows up at our door one day unexpectedly !

:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Robbinsdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vikings 'your name here' bricks offered for sta... 13 min space ace 7
Yemen 1 hr Nordski 74
After co-pilot's deliberate act, families ask why? 1 hr Go Blue Forever 5
News Drag Queens, 30 Days of Biking, Little Free Lib... 3 hr cowboy chris 1
Can't manage the gov & NOT honest or trustworthy (Nov '13) 3 hr LIbEralS 321
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 3 hr LIbEralS 34,107
We Can Make 28th Avenue Better for People 14 hr Crassus 1
Robbinsdale Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web