Portman reversed his opposition to sa...

Portman reversed his opposition to same-sex marriage

Posted in the Robbinsdale Forum

Bushwhacker

Seattle, WA

#1 Mar 16, 2013
Senator Rob Portman became the most prominent Republican lawmaker to back gay rights when he reversed his opposition to same-sex marriage on Friday, two years after his son told him he was gay.

In a newspaper opinion piece on Friday, shortly before the Supreme Court is to hear arguments in two key cases on the issue, the Ohio senator said he now supports gay marriage.

"I have come to believe that if two people are prepared to make a lifetime commitment to love and care for each other in good times and in bad, the government shouldn't deny them the opportunity to get married," Portman wrote in an op-ed piece in Ohio's Columbus Dispatch.

"That isn't how I've always felt. As a Congressman, and more recently as a Senator, I opposed marriage for same-sex couples. Then, something happened that led me to think through my position in a much deeper way."

Portman's 21-year-old son, Will, told the senator and his wife in February 2011 that he was gay and had been "since he could remember."
digger

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Mar 16, 2013
Bushwhacker wrote:
Senator Rob Portman became the most prominent Republican lawmaker to back gay rights when he reversed his opposition to same-sex marriage on Friday, two years after his son told him he was gay.
In a newspaper opinion piece on Friday, shortly before the Supreme Court is to hear arguments in two key cases on the issue, the Ohio senator said he now supports gay marriage.
"I have come to believe that if two people are prepared to make a lifetime commitment to love and care for each other in good times and in bad, the government shouldn't deny them the opportunity to get married," Portman wrote in an op-ed piece in Ohio's Columbus Dispatch.
"That isn't how I've always felt. As a Congressman, and more recently as a Senator, I opposed marriage for same-sex couples. Then, something happened that led me to think through my position in a much deeper way."
Portman's 21-year-old son, Will, told the senator and his wife in February 2011 that he was gay and had been "since he could remember."
So WHAT. What ever thought of portwoman as being a true Conservative?? If he wants to "support" his GAY son, that's HIS business. Not MINE.

Actually, I thought that his "job" was to represent his constituents, not his FAMILY. Well, I guess we all now know where his priorities are...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Robbinsdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Target stores against American families 3 min target stores ban... 1
Somalians 4 hr UncleSam 30
News Purple Faith: Prince's Life as a Jehovah's Witness 5 hr putasockinit 800
loser canadian ted cruz drops out 6 hr space ace 1
reasons for it 9 hr space ace 6
Adolf H!tler : The Greatest Story Never Told 15 hr space ace 44
Drop one word....add one word game (Apr '14) 18 hr Whiny1 566
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Robbinsdale Mortgages