State Patrol: Wrong-way driver kills unborn fetus, injures seven

There are 13 comments on the Dec 6, 2009, TwinCities.com story titled State Patrol: Wrong-way driver kills unborn fetus, injures seven. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

A woman driving the wrong way on an Interstate 94 exit ramp in Minneapolis Saturday slammed into a min-van carrying a family of seven - critically injuring a 10-year-old boy and his mother, who also lost her nearly full-term fetus, the State Patrol said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Aug 08

Saint Paul, MN

#70 Dec 7, 2009
Also wrote:
An equally important issue (besides the drunk driving) is that only the male driver had on his seatbelt. Isn't there a seatbelt law in this state? And a law that states children under a certain age/weight must be strapped in child safety seats?
While the greater burden goes to the wrong way driver, some liability has to go to the other driver and the pregnant passenger--seat belts actually do save lives and might have created a better outcome for the young child and the fetus.
My wife and I heard the story teaser (none of the kids were buckeled) and we immediately knew that the mini van family was not of Nothern European heritage. Seen it too many times before for it to not be true this time as well. And we were right.
St Paul

Jamaica, NY

#71 Dec 7, 2009
Tax Facts wrote:
<quoted text>As taxpayers (or at least I am) being that we probably pay for all the medical, school lunches, the welfare, the food stamps, etc. for all those children I should get to say.
Do you personally know this family? If not, you dont have anything to back up what you just said. There are six kids in my family and my parents worked hard to provide for us and sacrificed to send us all to private school from kindergarten through high school. We are all currently in college or have graduated college, with the exception of the youngest who is still in high school. The number of kids a family chooses to have does not mean that they are automatically receiving government assistance or are a burden on the tax payers. These parents could have been working hard to provide for their children as well.

It's disgusting how people are concentrating on the fact that they had more children than some people deem necessary. How about focusing that aggression on the woman who selfishly drove drunk and destroyed their family?

Since: Aug 08

Saint Paul, MN

#72 Dec 7, 2009
timmayy wrote:
Wow, some of these people commenting are amazing. A family just lost their child and not a single word about the drunk driver and instead bashes the family for having too many children.
They would have likely been alright had they been wearing their seatbelts.

The drunk driver needs a good bashing though. Is there a line?
Sensible

Saint Paul, MN

#73 Dec 7, 2009
babs wrote:
Really!? A nearly full-term "fetus?" Talk about being politically correct. I'd call that a baby. A real live, able to live outside the womb baby. A human being that should have full rights to live. And a drunk takes her life and gets to be called, "an intoxicated woman." Where's her less than human nickname?
But of course the real fall guy is the inanimate seatbelt. "If only they'd been wearing seat belts everything would have been fine."
I say, "If only they'd taken the drunk off the street and hauled her butt to jail the first time,(and there's always a first time), maybe she wouldn't have ended up killing an innocent baby and injuring all these people.
The State doesn't have enough money to haul off all the drunk drivers. I think half the state would be in jail if they did this. The real solution would be to outlaw alcohol but there are too many drunken lawmakers out there - so that would never happen!

Since: Apr 09

Saint Paul, MN

#74 Dec 7, 2009
P T Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if you are familiar with the reproductive process, but its difficult to get a seat belt around the belly of a near full-term mother. I wonder if a seatbelt in such a situation wouldn't squish the baby or apply all sorts of pressure in the wrong place in a collision.
In any case, I don't like the notion of applying blame to people for failing to conform to the various edicts of the nanny state. Absent the wrong-way driver, there would be no collision, and that is the end of the inquiry.
I guess what I would do is slide the belt down to where the pelvis bone is. That would leave the belly free of the belt.

Since: Apr 09

Saint Paul, MN

#75 Dec 7, 2009
Planner wrote:
Let me start by leaving the Pope out of this letter, unlike many of the writers responding to this article. By medical definition, a pregnant woman carries an embryo until it is 8 weeks, and a fetus until it is delivered as a baby, assuming it is born alive, naturally or my c-section. It is a miscarriage if it is delivered dead.
No excuses in this story -- parents don't have 4 (or 5) children when you aren't even capable of buckling them up. What happened is pretty obvious. Two serious mistakes have lead to an avoidable accident.
The exit ramp of a freeway should have metal spikes projecting upward to blow out tires when a vehicle is steered the wrong way.
We make it as easy for a drunk woman to drive, as it is for two adults to have more kids than they can bring up responsibly. In St. Paul, the woman was allowed to start her car drunk,(despite techically feasible car restraints), and the parents encouraged to breed like rabbits with their S.E. Asian assumption, that half of their kids will die before they reach age 10. I'm glad my parents expected more of themselves and of my well-being than the typical St. Paul refugee family and the U.S. judges who leave drunks on the roads.
For what it's worth, all of the children in the vehicle hit were unrelated to the woman who lost her baby. But yea, these children should have been protected with some kind of child restraint.
Minneapolis resident

Minneapolis, MN

#76 Dec 7, 2009
Simple observation wrote:
It is time the irresponsible law makers in this state take driving drunk serious, by putting some teeth in the law and prosecute anyone driving under the influence that causes an accident resulting in the death of an innocent party, then it should be considered a homicide and deemed premeditated murder for which that person should be sentenced to life in prison, no plea bargaining, and if a lawyer insists on a plea bargain, then give that lawyer a cell in the same prison.
I totally agree with this. This is a very serious problem in the state of MN. It's ironic that so many flock to our state for rehabilitation from their addictions, and yet we are so lenient in the sentencing of drunk drivers.
tom vang

Antelope, CA

#77 Dec 8, 2009
In California the Law do state that all children or should I say everyone should where the seat belt provided. Not sure about Minnesota Law, but anyhow this lady will most likely get manslaughter..Hopefully LIFE IN PRISON.. Not too smart..My prayers goes out to Yia and the families..GOD bless your family..
Marie

AOL

#78 Dec 8, 2009
Smelly Clark wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish that were true! Actually, in Minnesota, vehicular homicide is not a serious offense. In the mid-80's, I knew a woman in Annandale that killed 5 girls because she was driving drunk. They never charged her and she continued to drink and drive. In fact, she used to sit in the bar and make jokes about it. It's the easiest way to get away with murder, just have a few drinks....
The laws have changed quite a bit since the mid 1980s. Many people felt that drunk drivers could not be stopped, it was just something that happened. Are the laws adequate today for drunk driving? No, but they have come a long way. I personally don't think the laws are strict enough, when it comes to concern for the the victims. If someone dies in an DIU, then it's vehicular homicide, but what if the victim is severely and permanently disabled? What if the victim has a severe head or spinal cord injury? As long as the crash victimes don't die, then the punishment isn't harsh enough. In my opinion, sometimes it would be better to die rather than linger on for years in a comatose state.
Marie

AOL

#79 Dec 8, 2009
P T Bull wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if you are familiar with the reproductive process, but its difficult to get a seat belt around the belly of a near full-term mother. I wonder if a seatbelt in such a situation wouldn't squish the baby or apply all sorts of pressure in the wrong place in a collision.
In any case, I don't like the notion of applying blame to people for failing to conform to the various edicts of the nanny state. Absent the wrong-way driver, there would be no collision, and that is the end of the inquiry.
Hello? There was a wrong way driver. Everyone should wear seat belts, to prevent/lessen injury for accidents you may cause and for those accidents that others caused. The fetus died, and the mother is in critical condition, let's not forget about the mother. Most of the writers here seemed to be focused only on the fetus, but the mother has a long, hard road ahead of her. I feel for the mother and her injuries, and yes she also has my sympathies regarding the loss of her fetus/child/baby/human being or whatever you want to call him.
mell

Chandler, AZ

#80 Feb 20, 2010
Yes, drinking and driving is very bad and i do not condone it, but here is something to consider and I'm sure played into the injuries...no one in the hit car was wearing a seat belt nor were any of the children in booster/car seats. A lot of the injuries could and would have been avoided if they had been in car seats.
Steve

Mililani, HI

#81 May 15, 2010
I love it how all of you sit at your keyboards and bash this woman for drunk driving. Ya she made a big mistake by doing that but I guarantee all of you have done something that you really regret in your lives. I'm not defending her but I am saying who the hell are you to judge? Why dont you let God judge her and keep your "hag" and "trailer trash" comments to yourselves because its not helping anyone
Agree

Minneapolis, MN

#82 Apr 22, 2011
I agree, isn't it also wrong to have your five children and pregnant wife not belted while driving on the freeway?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Robbinsdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Message For (MSP) St.Paul , Minnesota Police De... 3 hr Real_Deal 11
Police: Seven officers injured, one unresponsiv... 3 hr Mama Brown 5
News Source: Southwest line price tag balloons towar... 5 hr Honky 16
NHL playoffs!!! 6 hr can u say 4 21
Do feel-good stories make up better people? 8 hr Spirit of 1776 1
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 8 hr LIbEralS 34,197
Airport Shooting 8 hr Honky 10
More from around the web

Robbinsdale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE