Outlook grim for former UND student p...

Outlook grim for former UND student president hurt outside Minnesot...

There are 45 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 11, 2010, titled Outlook grim for former UND student president hurt outside Minnesot.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The condition of a former UND student body president injured outside a Minnesota bar deteriorated over the weekend, according to a CaringBridge site created by his supporters.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Buffalo MN

Red Wing, MN

#43 Feb 8, 2011
Baker started the fight and threw the first punch. There are consequences to his actions no one deserves to die but Tuomisto doesn't deserve one day in jail. I would have done the same thing as Tuomisto. Who wouldn't defend themselves? it could have been him in a coma and dead... I live in Buffalo, MN 10 min from St. Michael and have been to the corner bar. I know this situation pretty well
Chuck

Clearlake, CA

#45 Feb 8, 2011
Alex was leaving the bar and came across an aquantance getting beat up by a group of 5 guys. He started pulling guys off while yelling "knock it off!" He was surrounded, hit several times in the back of the head and pulled one more guy off. This guy, Adam Baker, took at least one punch at Alex, hitting him in the face. Alex threw his only punch of the night and hit Adam. Adam had a BAC of .23. Everything I've said is part of the court record and his appearance yesterday was the first time Alex has been able to tell his story publicly. You cannot claim Self Defense in Minnesota if you have a way to escape without throwing the punch. Many people had too much to drink that night so credible witnesses are hard to come by. Those that made statements to the police that early morning which the media picked up on, changed their stories after they sobered up, mostly stating they were too drunk to remember much. Alex never changed one word of his story and turned himself in immediatley when he heard he was a suspect for someone that was injured very severely. Alex graduated with honors from Mankato State University and was employed as a Construction Manager for a company in St. Paul. He immediately moved out of St. Michael and was let go by the company because of this incident. Many thousands of dollars have been spent on his defense and bail with much more to come with the restitution and possible medical bills.Besides spending years in jail, he will have a felony on his record, will not be able to vote, hunt with a gun, and have to put the felony on a job application. All this for coming to the aid of someone in trouble and throwing a punch in self defense.
Conflict

Mankato, MN

#46 Feb 14, 2011
There are so man different stories, it is hard to know what truly happened. It is a bad situation for both involved. Mentioning Adam's BAC is great but what was Alex's? We don't know because he turned himself in the following day. Either way 1 person is dead and another's life is changed forever.
Ernest

Arlington, VA

#47 Apr 12, 2011
I am taking a wild guess that "Not A Monday Morning Quarterback" might possibly own a bar in the St. Michael's area.:-) Although I certainly agree with him about the need for people to take personal responsibility, it is also true that there is a big difference between serving bar patrons a few too many drinks (it's VERY easy - I'm a former bartender) AND serving 5 or 10 too many drinks and having a reputation for having lots of bar fights at your bar but not increasing security.
Ernest

Arlington, VA

#48 Apr 12, 2011
There is only ONE reason that Adam's .24 Blood Alcohol level is relevant: it meant that he had no balance AND was also unable to break his fall once he fell. If he had only been half as drunk - like TWICE the legal limit instead of THREE times - he would not have hit his head. It is possible there would have been the same result if Tuomisto had pushed him with one finger.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Robbinsdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump does it again 12 min space ace 34
no more browns 4 hr space ace 1
Obamas humble house 10 hr But Hay 1
knock fovr out 22 hr space ace 3
News Authorities Identify Suspect In Pine City Playg... Wed anarchist 4
more syrians Wed anarchist 5
News Wisconsin girl who drowned in Crystal identified (Aug '08) Oct '15 Anonymous 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Robbinsdale Mortgages