2 teens die after western Minnesota c...

2 teens die after western Minnesota crash

There are 29 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 6, 2010, titled 2 teens die after western Minnesota crash. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Another car crash has killed teenagers on Minnesota roads. Swift County authorities say two boys - 15 and 16 years old - died after their car struck the side of a semi-truck at an intersection about three miles southeast of Benson, in western Minnesota, about 4:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
MN Love

Minneapolis, MN

#1 May 6, 2010
After so many young people lost their life on the road I think we should increase driving age to 18.
How

Farmington, MN

#2 May 6, 2010
MN Love wrote:
After so many young people lost their life on the road I think we should increase driving age to 18.
How old were you when you started driving? We should NOT raise the age to 18. We just need to teach the young drivers better and limit the distractions there are while they are driving.
A parent

Kalispell, MT

#3 May 6, 2010
MN Love wrote:
It really makes you wonder what is going on with all these deaths. Whatever it takes to save these lives -- extra training, ban cell phones, change age, whatever it takes.
OMG

Minneapolis, MN

#4 May 6, 2010
I think it's up to the parents to use their judgement whether their kids are ready to drive or not. I have a 19yr old the i taught to drive at 14 and she knows better han to txt or even answer her phone while she's driving. I also have a 17yr old that i have asked NOT to drive and have not helped her obtain her license because i know she does not have the common sense and she gets distracted too easily to be out driving. So for her sake and other drivers I've explained that it's best for her to wait.after a test drive in a safe area she realized she would panic under certain circumstances and understood where i was coming from. So parents.......do not be afraid to tell your children NO! before I allow any of my kids to get in a car with an underage driver first of all I make sure there is an experienced driver with them and I need to see first hand that they drive properly.
joe

Minneapolis, MN

#5 May 6, 2010
Maybe there needs to be some sort of interlock system that doesn't allow the car to move unless all persons have their seatbelts on. Lots of technology needed to do so, but evidently until people in cars can be thrown from a vehicle and not be injured, it makes sense to me.
The Loon

Lindstrom, MN

#6 May 6, 2010
These young people have been raised on video games where you can drive like an idiot and if you crash you just push the "reset" button and you can start over.
warrk21

Los Angeles, CA

#7 May 6, 2010
Please go to departedngone and let the world know that we have lost a Two Good Lives

Departed N Gone
Theresa

Chaska, MN

#8 May 6, 2010
To all teenagers, haven't enough of you died? Wake Up and take your driving seriously. Enough is enough
Theresa

Chaska, MN

#9 May 6, 2010
A parent wrote:
<quoted text>
It really makes you wonder what is going on with all these deaths. Whatever it takes to save these lives -- extra training, ban cell phones, change age, whatever it takes.
You can all the laws, training, you want. Unless kids take it seriously, it wont matter. We also need to enforce the laws already on the books. If kids get caught with any infraction before they are 18, take their license away until they are 18. If they are caught texting, talking on their phone, yank their privilege to drive until they are 18. They can then walk or take public transportation. No questions. WE need to have a zero % tolerance policy. No IF's AND'S or BUT'S about it. It is the only way we are going to save lives.
Mary

Chaska, MN

#10 May 6, 2010
The Loon wrote:
These young people have been raised on video games where you can drive like an idiot and if you crash you just push the "reset" button and you can start over.
DITTO!!!!!
snowbat

Saint Paul, MN

#11 May 6, 2010
so what's interesting is that traffic deaths are actually at historic lows for MN. From the mid-1960's to mid-1970's the number of traffic deaths hovered around 1,000 per year. Recently it has been hovering around 500.

Doesn't make each death any less of a tragedy, but it's at least worth noting that far fewer Minnesotans die on the roads nowadays than a few decades ago (i.e. the 'good old days' everyone likes to pretend used to exist).
Springtime Stupidity

Duluth, MN

#12 May 6, 2010
How about WEAR YOUR DAMN SEATBELT!
enough

Minneapolis, MN

#14 May 6, 2010
Theresa wrote:
<quoted text>You can all the laws, training, you want. Unless kids take it seriously, it wont matter. We also need to enforce the laws already on the books. If kids get caught with any infraction before they are 18, take their license away until they are 18. If they are caught texting, talking on their phone, yank their privilege to drive until they are 18. They can then walk or take public transportation. No questions. WE need to have a zero % tolerance policy. No IF's AND'S or BUT'S about it. It is the only way we are going to save lives.
Freedom means you can be stupid and get killed. We don't need more laws, age restrictions or special safety locks. Stupidity kills sometimes and you can't stop it. Too many nanny types on here!
My 2 cents worth

Minneapolis, MN

#15 May 6, 2010
Vague information given in this copy/paste article from AP. If the PP wants to run this sort of article, I would think they could have a reporter at least talk to some of the officials involved before the copy and paste routine. Example:Was this an uncontroled intersection where somebody didn't stop?Was there any information available if there was a vehicle malfunction?
what were the estimated speeds involved?
Just a few simple questions asked of someone would have provided a much more informative article for the reader.
Benson resident

United States

#16 May 6, 2010
Local wrote:
Apparently the kids had been smoking marijunana and ran a yield sign.
this is the true story and the driver actually survived who is 17
Magic

Minneapolis, MN

#18 May 6, 2010
There needs to be cell phones for kids that WILL NOT work when the phone is moving, like in a car.

This is not a difficult product to implement as cell phones know when they are changing from tower to tower or changing coverage.

Just do it!!
Benson Alumni

Duluth, MN

#19 May 7, 2010
I don't think any of you realize that two boys are dead, and all you can talk about is how it was all their fault and their just stupid teenagers, apparently you don't have any idea what its like for a parent to lose a child. Have a little compassion.
Spinner

Delano, MN

#20 May 7, 2010
Benson Alumni wrote:
I don't think any of you realize that two boys are dead, and all you can talk about is how it was all their fault and their just stupid teenagers, apparently you don't have any idea what its like for a parent to lose a child. Have a little compassion.
The obituaties is where compassion is posted. These threads are full of other stuff not directed at survivors.

RIP kids, it's way to young to die in a stupid car crash.

A friend drivers examiner says kids pass the drivers test after blowing through a railroad crossing and drivers examiners are wearing T-shirts to give drivers tests, anybody see a problem??

TPR09

Abingdon, IL

#21 May 7, 2010
I totally agree with "Benson Alumni." I'm from the area, didn't know any of the boys very well, however, I think alot of you need to realize you dont know the whole story and shouldn't go assuming things. It was never proven that they were smoking anything at the time of the accident, and if they were..does it change anything? I dont think so.. Two young boys died and you people should be respecting & supporting the families, not trash talking these young people or anyone else. What if this one of your children? Have some respect!
Pissed

Le Center, MN

#22 May 7, 2010
Seth wrote:
More spoiled white kids on our roads with an entitlement mentality. Well, entitled to death just like the rest of us when you don't follow the rules.
Ok douche bag-what does being white have to do with anything? So your a racist? when you say the rest of us what the f does that mean?? and everyone else needs to get a hobby instead of sit here and talk crap about two kids that obviously most of you dont seem to know..GROW UP! Accidents happen ALL the time and last time I checked adults were getting in accidents too? But do us "younger" people sit here and crap talk them on how they need to learn to drive and wear theyre seat belts? NO because it doesnt F*CKING matter after people die. Get a life and grow the f up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Robbinsdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Global warming 'undeniable,' scientists say (Jul '10) 38 min SHAKEUP 36,491
Liberals sinking further into insanity 52 min Co-pilot 9
What does " bigly" mean 1 hr Co-pilot 9
President orange caveman 1 hr Co-pilot 5
Little boy blue nowhere to be found 6 hr Space ace 1
Keith ellison communist scum qualifications 6 hr Space ace 1
News Why Liberal Policies Are Terrible For Young People 6 hr Texxy the Selfie Cat 1

Robbinsdale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Robbinsdale Mortgages