blacks in Scott County

blacks in Scott County

Posted in the Robbins Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
fromatl

Athens, GA

#1 Dec 5, 2012
I attended Job Corps 11 years ago and ended up making friends here in Scott County. Just by saying this some may know who I am. I'm from Atlanta where I didn't grow up with too much racism. I guess what question I'm trying to ask is, Why do so many Scoco residents hate black people so much? Why when I come to visit do I get stared at and ugly and nasty looks? I've never even met people, never said a word to them in my life, and are so bold as to walk past and use the "N" word. I'm educated, never been on gov't asst., I work hard everyday of my life, but I'm just not liked there. My friends wonder why I don't visit more often, but it's because I don't feel comfortable.

P.S. Look I would like answers to my questions but please don't be disrespectful.
Citizen

Oneida, TN

#3 Dec 5, 2012
Scott Countians (some) have always been this way. Please do not take it personal for their ignorance. I am sorry you have such unhappy visits because of ignorant people whom do not act civiliazed. Color does not matter to me, people are human beings.
heck

Oakdale, TN

#4 Dec 5, 2012
You are probably getting the same looks that people from Scott Co would get if they showed up in a all black community, you just kinda stick out when your different from everyone else.
fromatl

Athens, GA

#5 Dec 5, 2012
heck wrote:
You are probably getting the same looks that people from Scott Co would get if they showed up in a all black community, you just kinda stick out when your different from everyone else.
Well I'll give you half of that being the case in a black community, but the all black communities here I won't even go to. It's not the fact of being a different race it's just that if you're white in those neighborhoods 90% of the time you're a cop. If you're there with someone from that area, most won't give you a second look.
visitor

Santa Cruz, CA

#6 Dec 5, 2012
I've been to Oneida a few times to visit a friend. I'm a slightly dark skinned girl but not African American. I've lived and worked in the U.S. all my life. Fortunately for me my visit has been very pleasant. I've been all around town and have gone to several stores and restaurants. By all means I did get some looks but they were just curious looks that I didn't mind at all. I'm sure racism lives in Oneida just like everywhere else. Sometimes it's ugly head comes up but if you're lucky you come across open minded individuals that are not blinded by hate. I've been all over the world and find that it really isn't just here in the States. Hate lives everywhere. Smile and you'll find people will smile back. It always works for me.
TheTruth

Corryton, TN

#7 Dec 5, 2012
First let me apologize if you have ever felt unwelcome or unwanted in Scott County. I dont mean to defend people but let me try to explain some things to you...... I grew up in Scott Co and graduated HS there in 1980. I had NEVER had an actual conversation with an African American until I went away to college. I had played sports against African Americans and had brief conversations but never an actual conversation. I'm sure I stared at people of color in those days too because it was something that I had never seen. Now, I dont think the county as a whole is as backwards as it was in those days but I assume there are still folks who have never had much if any interaction at al with African Americans. Most Scott Countians are good, decent people that do not have a racist bone in their body, but I'm sure there are those that are still "shocked" to see an African American in the county.
Elder

Sunbright, TN

#8 Dec 5, 2012
Racism will never end as long as white and black use the term racism. Black scream racism at everything that doesn't go their way. I don't believe neither white or black should have a free edge on the other just because of color. Black communities are against whites just as much as the other way around. I have never treated any race disrespectfully. By this first post, do you think that will help to whine when reverse discrimination is just as bad.
truth

Charlotte, NC

#9 Dec 5, 2012
All i can say is CHURCHES!!!!!!! They have brian washed this town.
help

Huntsville, TN

#10 Dec 6, 2012
I have family that is bi-racial and have been asked if they are adopted. People can be cruel to children and you just have to be the bigger person and teach children that these people have not been raised to understand that is is wrong to treat people this way.
wow

Strunk, KY

#11 Dec 6, 2012
TheTruth wrote:
First let me apologize if you have ever felt unwelcome or unwanted in Scott County. I dont mean to defend people but let me try to explain some things to you...... I grew up in Scott Co and graduated HS there in 1980. I had NEVER had an actual conversation with an African American until I went away to college. I had played sports against African Americans and had brief conversations but never an actual conversation. I'm sure I stared at people of color in those days too because it was something that I had never seen. Now, I dont think the county as a whole is as backwards as it was in those days but I assume there are still folks who have never had much if any interaction at al with African Americans. Most Scott Countians are good, decent people that do not have a racist bone in their body, but I'm sure there are those that are still "shocked" to see an African American in the county.
Wow hold on and let me get my shovel,OK i dug out enough to see the light again.Just look at how the people act about the drink law and if you lived here and moved away because of family needs to work and come back years later they act like your an outsider.I dont care what you say people here are so fast to say te N word even some of my family that never talked bad about things but had no prob saying that word.!Ever think thats why Scott Co. is losing evrything here.Just take a good look around the people here are killing this place.What a shame!
bob

United States

#12 Dec 6, 2012
they can go back where they came from.. they need to stay out of Scott co. we have enough theifs here. we dont need black people here the percentages show y we don't

http://m.prisonpolicy.org/graphs/raceinc.html
Fatman

Winnsboro, SC

#13 Dec 6, 2012
Wow a black man looked at and it's racist. And it's the church fault. That is something else he is a racist himself or that would not have been the first thing he thought of. I guess when he is in town we suppose to put blinders on and not look at him or any other stranger in town.
crazy times

Oneida, TN

#15 Dec 6, 2012
I have found that people that have lived outside Scott County are more accepting of other races. And even with their own if you leave and come back they are not very accepting. This is crazy. People are the same reguardless of their color. We all bleed red. But for people that have never lived outside this county they are usually the ones that are against other races.
wow

Strunk, KY

#16 Dec 6, 2012
bob wrote:
they can go back where they came from.. they need to stay out of Scott co. we have enough theifs here. we dont need black people here the percentages show y we don't
http://m.prisonpolicy.org/graphs/raceinc.html
And where is that smart guy? Do you know where your family came from?These are the kind of people that makes it hard tell anyone were your from...

Would like to see you stay a week or two in Detroit and see how far your backwoods actions get you.What a ding ding!
Fatman

Winnsboro, SC

#17 Dec 6, 2012
wow wrote:
<quoted text>
And where is that smart guy? Do you know where your family came from?These are the kind of people that makes it hard tell anyone were your from...
Would like to see you stay a week or two in Detroit and see how far your backwoods actions get you.What a ding ding!
There you go point made. They treat whites they same way or worse when we are in there area.
sry

Norfolk, VA

#18 Dec 6, 2012
Why would u evn ask that....its a prominent white community and we like it that way yes we have drugs and crime too but its shit we know about....
sry

Norfolk, VA

#19 Dec 6, 2012
And i did leave and come back and seen changes thats the biggest reason why i came back.....scott county is a small populated area and i like it to stay that way.....
racisim

Norfolk, VA

#20 Dec 6, 2012
And also its not just the whites who are racists against blacks....alot of blacks are extremely racists against whites too its allways goin to be that way
wow

Strunk, KY

#21 Dec 6, 2012
sry wrote:
And i did leave and come back and seen changes thats the biggest reason why i came back.....scott county is a small populated area and i like it to stay that way.....
Yea take a look around because your looking at a ghost town in the making!When I moved back here there was dealerships now none.It's like every 1-2 yrs something is gone from here.
A shame

Santa Cruz, CA

#22 Dec 6, 2012
racisim wrote:
And also its not just the whites who are racists against blacks....alot of blacks are extremely racists against whites too its allways goin to be that way
Because when this town eventually just became a ghost town. I hope your dumb ass doesn't end up anywhere with anyone darker than your Casper Azz. How sad that a grown human being would not survive in the real world because of ignorance. Good luck in your little world. And since you are racist learn to spell RACISM so you can look a bit smarter. rofl

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Robbins Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grooming? 27 min Mary 4
wreck 4 hr big smo 27
anybody know lisa bell (Jan '15) 12 hr kay 4
Don't even think about it. 15 hr ELD 4
homeless gulf war vet needs help 16 hr true american 21
candace burke 16 hr not her 3
Shooting 16 hr wtfe 13
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Robbins Mortgages