Moving to Roanoke, need info, please!
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Roanoke Native

Columbus, OH

#22 Apr 15, 2014
I was born in raised in Roanoke, and like any city it does have its crime. I do not think that it is nearly as bad as some people make it seem. In 20 years of living there I never had any problems. Every city has areas that are not good for joyriding after dark, but there are also many great areas in the city. A great neighborhood for a family is the Grandin Court area, there is a lot of things to do and has plenty of parks for families as well. This would be the best place, in my opinion, to raise a nice middle class family. As for job prospects, there are more companies that are moving to Roanoke and they are looking for young professionals to employ. I would not say that we do not have a winter however. There are some years where the is hardly any snow, but then others like this year where one snow can bring 22 inches. It can and will get at or below freezing at least once during the winter months. The area is a great place for outdoors adventures and offers plenty of activities in the area. There is also some nightlife downtown, but being a small/medium size city its nothing that spectacular. Over all, I would recommend Roanoke as a great area to move, it's small enough so you can get away from the hustle and bustle of a large city, but also large enough to keep you entertained. Hope this helped!
Northerner

Luxembourg

#23 May 1, 2014
North Carolina is sweet, near the ocean.
good place

United States

#24 May 10, 2014
Cloverdale and Troutville are good areas to live. Not far from Roanoke at all. Love the peace, quiet, and not worrying about thieves.
Love

Buffalo, NY

#25 Jun 22, 2014
I love Roanoke.... Upstate new york is "ok"
John

Portage, MI

#27 Aug 8, 2014
Spud wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it really so bad? We are moving to Roanoke from Idaho in a few months, and honestly any rentals I have seen seem pretty sketchy. I was hoping that the conditions might improve if you get situated in a good neighborhood.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Don't move here if you like to do things.. There isn't much to do unless you love to hone every weekend or go out to eat or to the movies all the time!! My wife and I are looking to move and to move soon! We are jumping ship.. Businesses are leaving.. The rate of growth is like a snail and as described above with the gun thing.. Better bring two, Roanoke was voted Virginia's most dangerous and violent city...
John

Portage, MI

#28 Aug 8, 2014
Roanoke Native wrote:
I was born in raised in Roanoke, and like any city it does have its crime. I do not think that it is nearly as bad as some people make it seem. In 20 years of living there I never had any problems. Every city has areas that are not good for joyriding after dark, but there are also many great areas in the city. A great neighborhood for a family is the Grandin Court area, there is a lot of things to do and has plenty of parks for families as well. This would be the best place, in my opinion, to raise a nice middle class family. As for job prospects, there are more companies that are moving to Roanoke and they are looking for young professionals to employ. I would not say that we do not have a winter however. There are some years where the is hardly any snow, but then others like this year where one snow can bring 22 inches. It can and will get at or below freezing at least once during the winter months. The area is a great place for outdoors adventures and offers plenty of activities in the area. There is also some nightlife downtown, but being a small/medium size city its nothing that spectacular. Over all, I would recommend Roanoke as a great area to move, it's small enough so you can get away from the hustle and bustle of a large city, but also large enough to keep you entertained. Hope this helped!
I would have to disagree.. I have been here a long time too and Roanoke is not very appealing to the younger professionals between 20 -35. Companies are leaving not coming unless you mean textile or warehouse. There is nothing to do during the day unless u want to walk the questionable downtown, go to the star, or take a hike. There are some very reputable business that will not come any where near Roanoke. Roanoke is seen by many as a retirement community and not for the younger crowd. Most of the people that I know have left and will not return due to Roanoke being voted most dangerous and violent city. The comment t below is correct, "bring your guns". But, if you like it here that is great! But as for my wife and I we will be leaving soon..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roanoke Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joseph Gil Pastelak, DEADBEAT DAD (Aug '08) Tue exofdeadbeat 8
Advance Auto Parts needs a Union Tue enough is enough 1
Video world on Williamson Rd Gay/Bi meet up (Apr '15) Oct 10 Denny 12
duane w Oct 10 wintersnow 5
Is Roanoke a good city? (Aug '09) Oct 7 Fk Da Noke 65
Sanctuary City Oct 4 Elizabeth warren 2
Matt J Mullins. 47 Oct 4 Eyes watching 1

Roanoke Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance