Posted in the Roanoke Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Suzie

Asheville, NC

#1 Mar 18, 2009
Hi all-

My husband and I are moving to Roanoke for a prospective job and I was curious about the "scene" in Roanoke. We're from Asheville, NC and were curious as to how it coincides with us!

Thanks!
Helper

Roanoke, VA

#2 Mar 18, 2009
Hello Suzie,

I guess your answer would depend on what "scene" you are referring to.
schools.
things to do.
night life.
etc.

update your question and perhaps we can help a little more.

I can say that the area is very nice, scenic, low crime ( relatively so ) good schools, night life is somewhat restricted but for the size of the valley it should suffice.

looking forward to helping more.
bogeyman

United States

#3 Mar 19, 2009
Helper wrote:
Hello Suzie,
I guess your answer would depend on what "scene" you are referring to.
schools.
things to do.
night life.
etc.
update your question and perhaps we can help a little more.
I can say that the area is very nice, scenic, low crime ( relatively so ) good schools, night life is somewhat restricted but for the size of the valley it should suffice.
looking forward to helping more.
hello helper, here is a list of questions i posted previously, thanks in advance for your info:

i am considering a move to your area from upstate NY and would like to ask some questions:

in general, how is the roanoke area? a pleasant, quiet place to live?

what are the areas to stay away from? i've heard NW and SW roanoke are not very good to live in.

what is the employment picture there? what fields of expertise are they looking for? who are the main employers within say 20 miles of the city? i've done some research and i (think) GE is located in salem.

have real estate prices dropped substantially in the area?

how much of a winter do you have? a lot of snow?i've been following your weather and it seems a whole lot better than up here in this perpetual ICEBOX!

i've never been to roanoke, but it was recommended by a friend as a place to move. smith mountain lake looks beautiful and my little fishing boat would be at home.

thanks all for your consideration, and in advance for your answers to my rambling questions. any additional input is welcome!
Suzie

Asheville, NC

#4 Mar 19, 2009
Well, I guess what do people in this area do for fun, typically speaking? Is there a few things that qualifies as a regional thing?

What are good neighborhoods, yet affordable, to look for homes?

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it!
Cali Crazyman

Moneta, VA

#5 Mar 21, 2009
Low crime..Thats bs!
bogeyman

Selkirk, NY

#6 Mar 22, 2009
Cali Crazyman wrote:
Low crime..Thats bs!
what are the areas to stay AWAY from in roanoke?
hola

Roanoke, VA

#7 Mar 23, 2009
SW Roanoke is perfect especially if you have kids, schools there are great. If you are an out door person you will enjoy this region as well. The three most photographed scenes of the Appalachian trail are less than an hour away. The lake is to over crowded with speedboats, however there are big rivers. I know nothing about the housing market sorry. We don't have a winter, just people who freak out when white stuff falls from above.
bogeyman

Hagaman, NY

#8 Mar 23, 2009
hola, thank you for your info. it sounds great down there. we have had in excess of 90" of the white stuff so far this season, with 2" yesterday. we are at our HIGH today of 22 degrees. this crap gets old.
Roanoke Born

Sandwich, MA

#9 Mar 24, 2009
Not sure if this is one or two different persons asking questions? For Suzie in Durham NC (prior Asheville) and Bogeyman from upstate NY, either way here's my two cents. I would never move to any place sight unseen. Roanoke metropolitan area is blue collar, with maybe 15% white collar. Salaries are not that good unless you are upper level; this is especially compared to typical NY-NE salaries. Many Northerners have relocated here (and Smith Mtn Lake some 20mi SE of Roanoke) over last 20 years. Main reasons are cheaper land, housing and utilities compared to NE. Roanoke City is around 90k people, is not growing, has older houses of either wood or brick siding. Downtown businesses have moved to suburbs and now city center is trying to rebuild and has some newly renovated homes/business-lofts for young and business type people. Roanoke County of around 90k people surrounds all of City and is what most prior responses are referring to. To be honest, the NW and SE areas people consider "bad" are within City and ethnically black, hispanic and poor white. Crime is no different here from any area of same size; drugs may be more prevalent than upstate NY. City of Salem abuts Roanoke City on west side, and is mostly white with average housing developments now expanding up mountain slopes. By far largest expansion direction is northeast and east within Roanoke County, and same direction into Botetourt County (more rural farm areas). Roanoke does have many warehouse industries, as well as light manufacturing. It has BCBS regional hub office downtown and a Federal offices building too. Two major hospitals via for business, with Carillon Hospital inc. being very aggressive and becoming a monopoly. Roanoke is regional center for many medical services business. Va Tech has large influence on region being only 40 miles west of Roanoke; many management and technical persons are alumni. Va. Western Community College in south Roanoke is doing well; Salem City center has well established private Roanoke College. Reasonable variety of restaurants available; many Hispanic restaurants abound and Hispanic population is growing into variety of average income housing areas. Locals are not overly friendly until years as neighbors, especially to Nawth'nrs; but many outsiders have come already so you can find friends. Social life mostly with friends and outdoors, and football and basketball talk. No openly "alternate" as Asheville. Climate: Winters are light with little real snowfall; summers are very hot and humid, Roanoke is in valley surrounded by mountains and humidify and temps build all summer long. A/C is needed in cars and housing. Electric bottom-line cost 10 cent per KWH (cheap by most NE prices); natural gas serves most areas and is reasonable. Vehicle gasoline is cheapest in VA and perhaps in USA. Retail prices are same as anywhere in USA. Sales Tax on all things (clothes, shoes, etc.) State Income tax around 6%, with federal type deductions being normal too. Average 1500sf house is around $150k; can get 5000sf great suburb for $400k. Property taxes used to be low, but have risen to normal of USA (my guess 2% of Market Value). People are honest and kindhearted even if appear gruff; hard work with little fanfare is a virtue.
bogeyman

Palenville, NY

#10 Mar 25, 2009
RB- thank you so much for your info, i was starting to think that i wasn't getting any responses because i disclosed i was a Nawth'nr in my post(s). i do plan on coming down to take a look and spend some time there within the next few months.

the weather up here is awful for 8 months out of the year, and there are no substantial jobs. there never have been. so i have to GO. if you can suggest any other areas to relocate, it would be appreciated.

thanks again for your 2 cents...
bogeyman

Palenville, NY

#11 Mar 25, 2009
sorry- i have no idea why my post appeared twice.
Vermonter

Brattleboro, VT

#12 Oct 7, 2013
bogeyman wrote:
RB- thank you so much for your info, i was starting to think that i wasn't getting any responses because i disclosed i was a Nawth'nr in my post(s). i do plan on coming down to take a look and spend some time there within the next few months.
the weather up here is awful for 8 months out of the year, and there are no substantial jobs. there never have been. so i have to GO. if you can suggest any other areas to relocate, it would be appreciated.
thanks again for your 2 cents...
Bogeyman, Just curious if you did move to Roanoke & if so if you like the area. We are looking at areas to move from VT due to the long winter months. We love to hike a lot & thought this may be a good area to locate to. Please let me know. Thank you!
Not what i thought

Roanoke, VA

#13 Oct 22, 2013
My wife and i moved here about a year ago for business, was back and forth to Roanoke 3 or 4 times from my previous location with my wife looking for homes, obviously not enough time to make a wise decision. I have lived in four states due to my employer and all i can say is Roanoke is sketchy at best. Their is a alot of wannabe gang members in certain areas and i have never seen so many ghetto hillbillies in my life, jacked up jeeps, trucks with young guys wearing camo and boots listening to rap music. And every morning i hear a woman howling out of her door two to three times a day for whatever reason i will never know. Like i said i lived in four states and never had anything stolen from my home, and to no suprise to myself i moved here just to have personal items stolen from my front yard and porch, the boys must need some money to feed their rap music passion. Ayway that is my two cents. Roanoke is beautiful to look at with the mountains and all and has somewhat of a country feel. But it is undermined like so many other cities by todays values and ideas. Do your homework.
Wilbur

Brookneal, VA

#14 Oct 22, 2013
Bring your guns and don't answer the door after sundown. Don't carry cash.
Spud

Nampa, ID

#15 Nov 12, 2013
Wilbur wrote:
Bring your guns and don't answer the door after sundown. Don't carry cash.
Is it really so bad? We are moving to Roanoke from Idaho in a few months, and honestly any rentals I have seen seem pretty sketchy. I was hoping that the conditions might improve if you get situated in a good neighborhood.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Marybeth

Washington, DC

#17 Feb 26, 2014
I am another considering moving our family to the Roanoke area from Washington, DC. I realize this will be a big change for a city gal like myself but my husband is from Iowa so we are trying to find a small sity/town in a rural setting with a slower pace than the nation's capital.
Can anyone share the best areas to live? We are looking for top schools and low crime. I've poked around the SW neighborhhods just a bit and liked what I saw. Our youngest kids are 4 and 2 years old so looking for a neighborhood offering strong activites for children.
Would living in Blacksburg be better than Roanke? All thoughts and comments are welcome!
Eddiy66

Roanoke, VA

#18 Feb 26, 2014
Young yuppie sounds like SW area types. Whose Work motive move? IA hubby not prime happy factor? Been here so You "seen it", so why Ask!
from both places

Albemarle, NC

#19 Feb 28, 2014
I have lived in Hendersonville NC and also upstate NY I really did not care for Roanoke and have since moved back to NC . The employer that I moved there for was a joke and has a huge turnover now . It is a nice area dont get me wrong but not my cup of tea . Suzy can you hint what type of work u both do ?
Leroy

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Feb 28, 2014
Suzie wrote:
Hi all-
My husband and I are moving to Roanoke for a prospective job and I was curious about the "scene" in Roanoke. We're from Asheville, NC and were curious as to how it coincides with us!
Thanks!
Stay away! Robberies, breaking and enterings, drugs, stabbings, murder ect. Stay in Asheville for safety and clean air.
Leroy

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Feb 28, 2014
Marybeth wrote:
I am another considering moving our family to the Roanoke area from Washington, DC. I realize this will be a big change for a city gal like myself but my husband is from Iowa so we are trying to find a small sity/town in a rural setting with a slower pace than the nation's capital.
Can anyone share the best areas to live? We are looking for top schools and low crime. I've poked around the SW neighborhhods just a bit and liked what I saw. Our youngest kids are 4 and 2 years old so looking for a neighborhood offering strong activites for children.
Would living in Blacksburg be better than Roanke? All thoughts and comments are welcome!
Country living---Move to Wythe county va. Low crime rate, good schools. Good country atmosphere. Mountains, streams, horses, cows and chickens. Close to lakes and New River. Lots of wild life. Come on down! Good for jogging, walking, bicycle riding or motorcycle riding. A great place to be.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roanoke Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Suspect in slaying of two TV station employees ... 20 hr SnuffAGlobalist 21
Questions About the Alleged WDBJ Shootings 20 hr SnuffAGlobalist 3
Sex in roanoke Sun Ooo 10
News George Zimmerman Trolls Obama On Twitter After ... Aug 28 Unacceptable 1
White Lives Matter Aug 28 Billy Bob 7
Mean Streets in a Decadent Violent Culture Aug 27 Check the facts 3
Ken Stiles Aug 24 Barry Sorrento 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Roanoke Mortgages