What is the statute of limitations for utility debt that has been turned over to

Posted in the Roanoke Forum

darleenslagel891

Santa Fe Springs, CA

#1 Nov 13, 2013
fernandaoxendine385 wrote:
What is the statute of limitations for utility debt that has been turned over to collections in California?The collector is playing games with you. He's trying to rattle you so that you will pay.

The collecting SOL in California is 2 years for an oral contract and 4 years for an open contract and written contract.

If the original creditor closed the account in 9/04, then you are past the collecting SOL.

California does not allow re-aging of a debt once the account is closed. That collector may have tried to claim you had tried to make a payment arrangement, but it's an empty claim. He was probably just trying to scare you into paying.

California is one of a few states that have their own version of the FDCPA, with more teeth than the federal FDCPA, to protect people from violations that are committed by collection agencies.

Google the California Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (aka Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act)
And also Google the California Penal Code
Do some reading and learn what a collector can do and what they cannot do,(and how much it could cost them if they violate)

You should also read the FDCPA and the FCRA, you can Google those also or you can use the links to them I've provided in my profile.

Send them a debt validation request.
Do not sign anything you ever send to a collector, only type your name or print your initials.
Always send any letter to a collector by certified mail, return receipt.

When you get the signed cert mail green card back from the collector, send a dispute to whichever CRA they are reporting on (TU, EQ, EX)

When the collector sends the validation, or after 35 days from their receiving your request, send the collector a SOL letter, include a cease and desist in that SOL letter.

You can probably find sample letter templates through Google, just make sure the ones you find are free to use. Never pay for what you can get for free.
Or, you can go to the last link I've listed in my profile to a free credit discussion board where you can find the sample letters, the SOL statute for your state to include in the SOL letter, etc..
This site can help you finding the best option for you:@www.credit-solutions.info

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roanoke Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
drug dealers 7 hr Fhjj 2
sandra lewis Feb 23 Saddy 7
Gay meet ups roanoke Feb 23 Gr8ston3 7
Adult video store (Mar '12) Feb 22 str8gloryholeroan... 22
Snezanna The Bosnian? Feb 22 Stroll 14
Do women like to be randomly groped when they g... (Jun '12) Feb 19 IMHO 46
Looking for white male to Tie me up n dominate me Feb 18 want2bdominated 1
Roanoke Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web