Salem Doctors Who Put Instruments in Dishwasher Fined

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Three gynecologists who used a dishwasher to clean medical instruments at their Salem office have been fined $1,000 apiece.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Abe

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Apr 5, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Welcome to the 19th century...what a bunch of buffoons. Surgical sterilization was invented before the automobile, the airplane, the computer, etc...how do three supposedly smart people do something so completely idiotic?!?!?
Unknown

Culpeper, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Apr 5, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Gross
Autoclaves do not clean

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 5, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

It should be noted that an autoclave does not "clean" an instrument. An autoclave is designed to sterilize instruments with steam, but it does not have any functions to remove soils, e.g. clean. Typically, an instrument will be cleaned, either by hand or using a specially designed instrument washer. Then it will be dried, packaged in a breathable pouch that provides a barrier to contamination, and autoclave sterilized.
sez you

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 5, 2013
 
I volunteered at the SPCA for a time, the methods use to sterilize instruments is complex, can't believe this. Quackery still exists.
CHRIS

Bedford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 5, 2013
 

Judged:

1

If you knew a piece of equipment had been used on somebody with HIV or some other S.T.I. Would you let that same piece of equipment put in you no matter what way it was cleaned/sterilized. Just have disposable equipment, I know there are disposable speculums. It's no wonder people pick up infections/ s.t.i's at the doctors office/hospitals. Try explaining to you husband that you picked up an s.t.i. At the doctors office. The doctors office will never admit it, THE'LL leave you hanging. Imagine getting divorced because you went to the gynecologist ?

“Don't Drink The Obama Kool-Aid”

Since: Aug 09

You don't need to know, Va.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 5, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

I bet them instruments was cleaner than Dumler's tool!
huck

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 5, 2013
 
Im Ya Huckleberry wrote:
I bet them instruments was cleaner than Dumler's tool!
yuk, yuk, huck
Greene Native

Ruckersville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Apr 5, 2013
 
Im Ya Huckleberry wrote:
I bet them instruments was cleaner than Dumler's tool!
Think Scottsville Paper will run a story on that
CHRIS

Bedford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Apr 6, 2013
 
Im Ya Huckleberry wrote:
I bet them instruments was cleaner than Dumler's tool!
What's Dumier's ?

“Don't Drink The Obama Kool-Aid”

Since: Aug 09

You don't need to know, Va.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 6, 2013
 
CHRIS wrote:
<quoted text> What's Dumier's ?
Local Democratic board of supervisors member who likes to take his tool up the Hershey highway.
Not With My Lady You Dont

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 6, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

CHRIS wrote:
If you knew a piece of equipment had been used on somebody with HIV or some other S.T.I. Would you let that same piece of equipment put in you no matter what way it was cleaned/sterilized. Just have disposable equipment, I know there are disposable speculums. It's no wonder people pick up infections/ s.t.i's at the doctors office/hospitals. Try explaining to you husband that you picked up an s.t.i. At the doctors office. The doctors office will never admit it, THE'LL leave you hanging. Imagine getting divorced because you went to the gynecologist ?
Agree completely CHRIS. I see this as another nail in collective coffin of the gyn's. But the outstanding question for me is how many 'nails' will it take before women stop this paranoid thinking pattern that they need periodic monitoring of one of these PIGS before they can believe they are healthy.
Not With My Lady You Dont

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Apr 6, 2013
 
oops! that should have been: "another nail in THE collective coffin"
CHRIS

Bedford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Apr 6, 2013
 
Im Ya Huckleberry wrote:
<quoted text>Local Democratic board of supervisors member who likes to take his tool up the Hershey highway.
LOL, Ok, Thanks.
CHRIS

Bedford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 6, 2013
 
Seriously, how many s.t.i.'s came out of that office ????????? Disgusting!!!
CHRIS

Bedford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Apr 7, 2013
 
Who were the three male Doctors, Moe, Larry and Curly. Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard.
Not With My Lady You Dont

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Apr 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

CHRIS wrote:
Who were the three male Doctors, Moe, Larry and Curly. Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard.
Would have been better if it was. At least they would have had an acceptable excuse...

Where are all the commenters now that want to argue that the PIGS that perform this 'service'(gynecology) for women are 'trained professionals'?
ObservationDeck

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Apr 8, 2013
 

Judged:

1

I thought the meal tasted a little fishy. Now, I finally know that it was really the plates and utensils. (I should have known all along).
pailrider

Nottingham, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Apr 8, 2013
 
Dish washer uh in the uk they get this..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/...
BaySide1

Worcester, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
May 14, 2013
 
Cleaning OB instruments in a dishwasher is not as bad as it sounds. Many practices do it as part of their routine cleaning procedure. Basically, they are washing off any bioburden from the instruments before placing them in sealed pouches for sterilization.

The Sterilization and Disinfection process involves many steps. Sterilization is the last step. Actually, if previous steps have been done correctly most of the offending organisms have already been killed.

Personally, I would be more concerned about Hep C or Prions as HIV is a relatively easy kill.

Most practices in the US are not looking at prions and these are way more dangerous and harder to kill requiring higher temps and longer exposure times than what is commonly accepted today in the US.
Wallace

Bedford, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
May 14, 2013
 
BaySide1 wrote:
Cleaning OB instruments in a dishwasher is not as bad as it sounds. Many practices do it as part of their routine cleaning procedure. Basically, they are washing off any bioburden from the instruments before placing them in sealed pouches for sterilization.
The Sterilization and Disinfection process involves many steps. Sterilization is the last step. Actually, if previous steps have been done correctly most of the offending organisms have already been killed.
Personally, I would be more concerned about Hep C or Prions as HIV is a relatively easy kill.
Most practices in the US are not looking at prions and these are way more dangerous and harder to kill requiring higher temps and longer exposure times than what is commonly accepted today in the US.
Would you want a piece of gyn equipment used on one of your loved ones, if it had been used on a patient with an s.t.i. And had only been washed in a dishwasher ?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Roanoke Discussions

Search the Roanoke Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Looking for our friends! 5 hr Looking for our friends 1
Anyone know Kevin Settles 8 hr Krispy Creme 4
Battle flag removal W&L college 9 hr Larce 6
noisy Tue overwhelmed 1
Right of Way on bicycle ltr to editor Mon Lunch bucket 1
Battle Flag Jul 20 Empty Chair 1
Sunday Ltr to Editor Jul 20 Lunch Bucket 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Roanoke Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Roanoke People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Roanoke News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Roanoke
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••