Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns ...

Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt...

There are 8236 comments on the PRWeb story from Feb 4, 2007, titled Hernia Mesh Patch Recall - FDA Warns of Death and Serious Healt.... In it, PRWeb reports that:

Patients should review the latest recall information to see if they have been implanted with the recalled device and seek medical attention if symptoms such as unexplained or persistent abdominal pain, fever, ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at PRWeb.

Chuck

Sylacauga, AL

#7390 Feb 28, 2013
George wrote:
How many reading this have Teflon or PTFE in there belly right now? I do and it is heavy weight. Read it and weep all - maybe bring to your next docs visit or send to the FDA or better yet - read it to them over the phone since they seemingly are illiterate.
http://www2.dupont.com/FuelCells/en_US/assets...
This is like the Blind leading the Blind or Dumb and Dumber. I also found this site or one like it back in 2003. Reason why was for back then on wife first hernia repair was suppose to been repaired back then with the Gore Tex mesh, we researched it back then worried about the teflon back then, for the Fed Gov, EPA was in force to do away with teflon cookware, some of the first frying pans. For the coating chipped or pealed off, if I remembered of the research we found back then, their was also something to do with how long heat reacted with teflon heat chem of teflon break down, but what bothered me was EPA not allowing Teflon in paint.Auto. Cancer found in the blood cells in the brain of children. It now reminds me of the chem leakage in plastic, here something last night news telling people, not to drink our county,or city water for all the chems that are in it to make it fit to drink. Now are the leading cause of abdominal problems,For now these chems effect the break down of the abdominal, immune system, will dah.. Last summer news was all about kids and swimmming pool time, for the chems in pools.
Chuck

Sylacauga, AL

#7391 Feb 28, 2013
Ok wow, our news this morning running the item about whats in our drinking water, is it fit to be drinking? You want see for self check with our loc tv channel WHNT19News.com out of Huntsville Alabama. Chems in US drinking water. So that the customers can now go out and buy water filter systems to clean the chems out of water but yet put other chems in system ,from the water filter system like charcoal paper of filters, rock salt to soften water, etc... bladder cancer, birth deffects,
schneider

United States

#7392 Feb 28, 2013
I'm going to be careful naming names, but I was operated on by a supposed Best doctor for mesh removal and I am not doing well. That doctor is nott interested in helping me, in fact I can't even speak to him. All his calls go to his assistant and she is definitely NOT a doctor. I have not found a single person on this message board who has had a successful outcome with this doctor, yet people talk about him like he is GOD. I JUST WANT TO WARN YOU ALL TO BE CAREFUL. Just because someone has a good PR doesn't mean crap. I picked this doctor over another big doctor here where I live because I heard privately that she was also not takinng care of people. People have an agenda folks!
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7393 Feb 28, 2013
I am going to respond to Lana's post concerning the lawsuit that was just "settled" and the issue for all of us. Lana is quite correct about how and why this latest case was setlled. It WAS NOT the mesh. AGAIN, we as Mesh Victims have been ignored by the legal system. This case ended up being about being INFORMED. That is it. Nothing about what happened because of the mesh. It was whether this woman was told by her Dr. that mesh could harm her. Just like the Bard/Kugel recall, this was not about the mesh. The Bard/Kugel recall was about the plastic ring. This latest case was about being informed. We have yet to see a substantial case where the mesh it self is on trial. The Hernia mesh cases are a joke. Mark Mueller has screwed up one case and unless he can get his shit together he is going to lose his next one also. Yo, Mark! Quit doing an Obama and concentrate on Steves case instaed of flying all over the place playing Big Lawyer Dude. Be a real Lawyer and win the F*&king case! Don't let an intern put the case together or present it in the courts!!! These cases tippy toe around mesh and the manufacturers. The Lawyers don't go for the jugular.They want to be "liked" within the hallowed walls of the Medical community and still be invited to the parties by the manufacturers. Without the FDA coming out against mesh we are ALL SCREWED. File a report with the FDA everybody! You, me and the rest of the mesh victims can only win if WE get together and file our reports, call and write our Senators and Representatives and call your local newspapers and radio stations. We have to be PRO-ACTIVE! Because there is NO ONE else to help us. Not the Government or the Big Time Lawyers are on our side folks. No matter what, we have to be responsible for ourselves. There is my Rant for the day. I'm in a lot of pain today so I am a bit testy. And the more I read about this "investigation" and the more I find out about what Lawyers like Mark Mueller do and don't do for their clients I want to pull my hair out! OOPS too late that went some time ago! Best Wishes Everybody.....
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7394 Feb 28, 2013
P.S. just for grins I tried Erin Brokovich again.....what the hell!
wes opitz

Spearfish, SD

#7395 Feb 28, 2013
All Meshed Up wrote:
<quoted text>Hello Wes....A couple questions....Did you have a lawyer represent you with your Workmens Comp case? If so contact him NOW. Next....Do you have your OP report from the hospital where the mesh was implanted? If not get it NOW. You are now 2 years out from your surgery but how far out are you from when they deemed you MMI? This could have consequences for your Statute of Limitations. So get your OP report ASAP. Find out from the report what mesh you were implanted with. In the mean time contact your lawyer if you had one. He actually may have your OP report but still get your own. Let us know what kind of mesh you have and we can try to put you on the right path. It ain't gonna be fun my friend as you can find out by reading through the previous pages of posts. I would suggest that you do read through this forum, at least a bit, so asd to get an idea of what you are up against. You are NOT ALONE. There are people on this forum that have the same mesh as you and have gone through EXACTLY what you are going through. I was injured on the job with a simple Right Inguinal Hernia. It was repaired with a Prolene Mesh made by J&J Ethicon. Within a year I had lost 40+ pounds and was so sick that death was a real option. The mesh was removed along with my right testicle and a KUGEL patch was put in its place and that started a whole other set of symptoms. I have been dealing with mesh now for 6 1/2 years. It is a permanent condition my friend. Yes, you may be able to get a law suit going but that trully is a long shot. Read the previous pages and you will get that story. OK! Get your "stuff" together and let us know what you find. We will be here.......Best of Luck.....
Ok I got my op report and it was a perietex mesh. Had it removed in january of this year and im still in pain and there is still swelling. The surgeon said in his own words that I should just get on disability now since there isn't else he could do the 19th of February of this year. Ive told work comp about what he said and they sent me to a occupational therapy doctor. He told me that he is not going to sign off on me. And he's going to send me a referral to another surgeon. So im not exactly sure what else I should do.
ramshawed2000

United States

#7396 Feb 28, 2013
schneider wrote:
I'm going to be careful naming names, but I was operated on by a supposed Best doctor for mesh removal and I am not doing well. That doctor is nott interested in helping me, in fact I can't even speak to him. All his calls go to his assistant and she is definitely NOT a doctor. I have not found a single person on this message board who has had a successful outcome with this doctor, yet people talk about him like he is GOD. I JUST WANT TO WARN YOU ALL TO BE CAREFUL. Just because someone has a good PR doesn't mean crap. I picked this doctor over another big doctor here where I live because I heard privately that she was also not takinng care of people. People have an agenda folks!
I've just been seeing all these post for several years now. Bruce did my procedure and then left, moved up North. Tried to get him to remove it and caught Hell. No one wants to deal with someone else's work, which is Krazy. Now I hear he's top doc down in Fl. I agree with you comments. I'm seeing pain docs, GI docs n Urology docs, that's my life after having mesh removed in 12 procedure. They ultimately rebuilt the abdominal wall with my own Davis. Why couldn't that have been done initially?.. Opiates n Cannabis that's what helps me day to day... Gooood luck to U.
ramshawed2000

United States

#7397 Feb 28, 2013
wes opitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok I got my op report and it was a perietex mesh. Had it removed in january of this year and im still in pain and there is still swelling. The surgeon said in his own words that I should just get on disability now since there isn't else he could do the 19th of February of this year. Ive told work comp about what he said and they sent me to a occupational therapy doctor. He told me that he is not going to sign off on me. And he's going to send me a referral to another surgeon. So im not exactly sure what else I should do.
File for disability..!!!
Blair

Montague, Canada

#7398 Feb 28, 2013
Terlin

Wayne, MI

#7399 Feb 28, 2013
I had my mesh and plugs removed by ramshaw 10/26/12 thinking the mesh caused what the gi doc says is pelvic floor dysinergy, severe bloating and pain at and above incisions, with difficulty defacating with no relief. Very pain full to sit feels like my colon is bulging over my pelvis. Also difficulty urinating. The removal was no help.dont know if it was the mesh or not. Anybody else have these symptoms. Docs want me to do core exersise asked ramshaw and he said ok but stop if the pain gets worse, how to tell if it's worse when it already hurts. Anybody have good results from ramshaw and do you have bowel problems?
Terlin

Wayne, MI

#7400 Feb 28, 2013
schneider wrote:
What kind of hernia did you have and when did you have it removed, and what complications do you suffer from. I had mine removed 102612 still have same problems with a little more pain and numbness in the groin as he had to cut and bury some nerves that were intangled in the plug. I have talked with him a few times after not much can be done. Let me know how your problems are. Terlin
Linda Mazzilli

Teaneck, NJ

#7401 Feb 28, 2013
I had a Ingunal hernia with Prolene Mesh back in 1997. I need help to speak to someone. My stomach area in hugh...swollen and I am in servereain in the abdomal area and in the lower back. I have nausea annd problems with my bowels the chills and some vomiting. I need to know if this mesh is a problem and if something needs to be done. I cant keep living like this. Something is wrong. Ive been back and fourth to doctors for years and years....I need some help.
Terlin

Wayne, MI

#7402 Feb 28, 2013
Linda Mazzilli wrote:
I had a Ingunal hernia with Prolene Mesh back in 1997. I need help to speak to someone. My stomach area in hugh...swollen and I am in servereain in the abdomal area and in the lower back. I have nausea annd problems with my bowels the chills and some vomiting. I need to know if this mesh is a problem and if something needs to be done. I cant keep living like this. Something is wrong. Ive been back and fourth to doctors for years and years....I need some help.
Do you have difficulty deffacating and no relief when you go. What's your stool like?sounds similar to my problems. Let me know.
Chuck

Eastaboga, AL

#7403 Mar 1, 2013
Is their BPA chem in our lovely plastis hernia mesh? I just heard on news, that BPA can cause Asthma, I it messes with thyroid.
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7404 Mar 1, 2013
wes opitz wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Morning Wes. I have been through the exact deal as you are going through now. Your continued pain and swelling and the Dr. suggesting you apply for SSI. First off you will NOT get SSI on the merits of a bad mesh experience. They won't even give you the time of day after they find out your complaint. Unless you crawl into the S.S. office on your hands and knees and prove that you can do NOTHING else they will not do a thing for you. If you are serious about getting SSI then get a Lawyer that specializes in SSI cases. It could take you 3-5 years to get a positive decision. Did you end up with any other mesh after your explant? If not then you are still dealing with the scar tissue, nerve damage and post operative healing. If you WERE re-implanted then you are dealing with the body regenerating scar tissue to enclose the mesh as it would a splinter. I would compile all the info you can find on the internet about Perietex mesh and present that info to your surgeon. The Dr.'s are going to tell you that its post operative pain ( which it could be, explanting mesh is no small surgery.) and possible nerve damage. They may suggest that you get the nerves cut so as to stop the pain. I have had that done with NO change in the pain. In fact I have hot and cold and occasional numbness in my right leg that I blame on that surgery. I have a very good friend that spent a HUGE amount of money to go to the "TOP" guy on the east coast to have his nerves cut. It made him worse. The Dr.'s are not going to point at your symptoms, even with the removal of the mesh and say "Its all due to the mesh!" They will not do that. It puts them in a situation similar to what Linda Gross has gone through in New Jersey. You were not told about the possible side effects of the mesh. Well Hell! I was not informed! I bet you were not either! Anybody else get a little fireside chat with YOUR surgeon before yopur implant in which he said, " You might have devestating side effects if I put this in you. And it may, in fact, probably will adversly affect you for the rest of your life!" Anybody get that chat? Yes? No? I didn't think so. Anyway Wes don't let the surgeons supposed lack of knowledge about mesh make you stop presenting info to him/her about what you had in you. Start a diary of your day to day symptoms. Make notes on what the Dr. tells you. I would have a hidden recorder if you can just for your own protection. These Dr.'s do not want to be sued. They see what is coming down the pike. Unfortunately you are a male and had Hernia surgery so in the pecking order we are shit out of luck when it comes to a lawsuit. But do as I did and continue to do. Call every lawyer that advertises that they represent mesh victims. You may get lucky. Let us know if you were reimplanted. IF you were not then keep us updated as to what the Dr.'s are telling you. I can just about tell you that most of us on this forum have heard the same schpeel from our surgeons! And make a report t6o the MAUDE data base today, Wes! Best Wishes......
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7405 Mar 1, 2013
Linda Mazzilli wrote:
Linda, your Prolene mesh has crumpled up and twisted inside you. It has taken everything around it as it crumpled.You probably have buldging around the surgical site. Possibly you have "pins and needles", redness, numbness, pain down your leg and up into your chest. These are all symptoms I have had with my Prolene mesh. It almost killed me. X-Ray, MRI or CAT scans will show the swelling, scarring and possibly the sutures ( that are metal) where you had the mesh. It will not show the mesh though. Its plastic so it will not show up as the sutures will. I still have my sutures from 2006 that were not removed. They are in a little ball somewhere near my Femoral Artery. You need to get that mesh out ASAP. Get a competent Dr. and or surgeon that will listen to you. Gather all of your records and keep everything you get from now on. If you are able to get a surgeon to remove the mesh have someone in the surgery room with a video camera to document what is taken out of you. Have that mesh saved at a medical facility for later evidence. Try to have a lawyer ( one you trust!) on hand also before, during and of course after the surgery. I have tried for years to get a lawyer to represent me against J&J Ethicon for what I believe is Medical Fraud.They still say in their brochures that Prolene mesh stays "pliant and soft" after implant. Any of us that have had Prolene mesh know differently. And still they sell the crap. I hope that you can get a case going but if not at least you will get that mesh out of you. If you need any info please contact me at [email protected] and I will do whatever I can. Best Wishes and Best of Luck......
All Meshed Up

Grand Junction, CO

#7406 Mar 1, 2013
Every morning I get up to read and respond to what I find on this forum. I have to say that I sometimes cannot do it. I get so upset that I have to go and cry. I have lived with mesh for years now. I am in pain most of the time. I get bowel problems and stupid little infections and yet I feel lucky that I am not in as bad shape as many of you that come on here looking for help. I/we should not be doing this. We should all have access to real, truthful information and access to real honest to goodness medical care. We should not have to wonder what is happening and then go on the internet and get help and suggestions from strangers. It is such a crime that we are all going through this and yet the wheels of Justice do not represent us. They drive right over the top of us.........It sucks......My Best Wishes to All of You....
George

Flagstaff, AZ

#7407 Mar 1, 2013
ALL MESHED UP,

I am with you balancing the daily pain and the big picture of the medical device/FDA/doctor/lawyer money triangle. It is not just about what has happened to many tens of thousands that are experiencing mesh related complications today, but the people getting implants right now and those that have not yet experienced a problem but might at some point down the road. My guess is ALL mesh implants create problems for the patients, but are misdiagnosed as the mesh is not considered a cause. For example, the weight of the mesh/scar complex is similar to obesity in impact to our abdomens, even if you are not over weight, creating acid reflux/hiatus hernia/GERD problems. Although 4 of 5 mesh jury trials have ended with a verdict for the mesh victim, these positive steps do not have the urgency we need, to halt this medical fiasco. These punitive damages are "puny",doubtful any mesh products will be voluntary pulled which would indicate progress. I am at a loss as to how to address the scope of this situation, from my cycle of debilitating pain, surgery, short-term relief, debilitating pain - repeat as needed - to the desecration of "do no harm" medical doctrine being practiced right now. Thanks for reading G
What ever

Mcpherson, KS

#7408 Mar 1, 2013
Vaginal Mesh Punitive Damages Increases Jury Award to $11.1M

Posted: 01 Mar 2013 07:18 AM PST

A New Jersey jury has determined that Johnson & Johnson should pay an additional $7.76 million in punitive damages for failing to warn about the risk of severe injury associated with vaginal mesh, adding to a compensatory damage award of $3.35 million returned earlier this week for a woman who experienced problems with Gynecare Prolift mesh manufactured by Johnson & Johnson’s Ethicon subsidiary.

Following a month-long trial in New Jersey state court, Johnson & Johnson was hit with a combined verdict of $11.1 million in the first of nearly 4,000 Ethicon vaginal mesh lawsuits the company faces from women who suffered devastating complications when the product eroded through the vagina, caused infections or other health problems.

The case was brought by Linda Gross of South Dakota, who required at least 18 surgeries that she claimed could have been avoided if the manufacturer had adequately warned consumers and the medical community about the possible risk of injuries that may be caused by Gynecare Prolift mesh, which is implanted transvaginally for repair of pelvic organ prolapse and female stress urinary incontinence.

The additional punitive damage award was designed to punish the manufacturer for willful and wanton disregard for the safety of vaginal mesh.
Thousands of Similar Cases Wait for Trial or Settlement

In New Jersey state court, Johnson & Johnson faces at least another 1,800 lawsuits that have been centralized before Judge Higbee for pretrial proceedings. In addition, another 2,000 complaints filed in U.S. District Courts throughout the country have been consolidated in the federal court system as part of an MDL, or multidistrict litigation, which is centralized before U.S. District Judge Joseph R. Goodwin in the Southern District of West Virginia.

Judge Goodwin is also presiding over the consolidated pre-trial proceedings in four other vaginal mesh MDLs, each involving similar transvaginal mesh products manufactured by different companies, including C.R. Bard, American Medical Systems (AMS), Boston Scientific and Coloplast Corp. Collectively, the companies face more than 10,000 similar lawsuits.

The trial over Gross’s vaginal mesh injury claim has been closely watched by the legal community, as it serves as a test case for how juries may respond to certain evidence and testimony that will be offered through the litigation. It is the second vaginal mesh lawsuit to go to trial and the second to result in a large payout for the plaintiff, after a California jury awarded $5.5 million in damages from Bard Avaulta vaginal mesh in July 2012. However, that case did not involve punitive damages.

In the federal court system, a series of “bellwether” trials are scheduled to begin in the coming months, with the first case involving the use of Bard Avaulta mesh. This will be followed by at least three trials expected to begin in December 2013, involving lawsuits over products manufactured by AMS, Ethicon and Boston Scientific. These early test cases could lead to vaginal mesh settlement agreements.
Terlin

Wayne, MI

#7409 Mar 1, 2013
Has anyone have mesh removed and bowel problems get worse, had mine removed 4 mo ago pain now in the crease of the legs to groin and tightnes in sides of hips with severe lower ab pain pulling on my obliques . Can't sit anybody else like this and wondering if the Cleveland clinic help me?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roanoke Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Relocating May 28 TxRealtor 2
News Severe thunderstorm watch issued for Dallas, Ta... May 28 dodo 1
News Giant Bowie knife will stand in Texas town with... May 27 A Green 10
News Texas Republican: Backing trans-bathrooms is th... May 27 Three Rounds 20
News Breast-feeding moms plan a nurse-ina at West Si... May 22 CMar 1
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) May 14 Jack 993
Why so many homes for sale on Bristol Street? (Jul '15) Jul '15 Anonymous 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Roanoke Mortgages