First Prev
of 2
Next Last
wondering

Johnson City, TN

#1 Aug 7, 2012
Two charged with stealing copper from dead man’s house
Published July 30, 2012
By John Thompson - Elizabethton Bureau Chief ELIZABETHTON — Two men were arrested late Saturday evening following an investigation by the Carter County Sheriff’s Department into theft of copper plumbing and electrical wiring from the Roan Mountain house of a man who had recently died.

Jeremy Michael Moden, 35, and Keith Edward McCullough, 35, both of 257 Hogum Hollow Road, were each charged with vandalism over $10,000; theft over $500 and aggravated burglary. They are scheduled to answer the charges in Sessions Court on Aug. 7.

Investigators received a tip Thursday that a blue Chevrolet pickup truck was seen on Hogum Hollow Road with a load of copper sticking out of the bed. The informant also told the investigators that the owner of the home at 253 Hogum Hollow Road had recently died. The home still had water and electricity turned on, as the owner’s son was coming back and forth from Michigan to tend to the house.

When investigators checked the tip, they reported seeing the blue pickup truck with the load of copper. It was parked at 257 Hogum Hollow Road. Sgt. Harmon Duncan and Investigator Larry Vaughn went to the door to inquire about the truck. Duncan said Moden answered and told the investigators he had received the copper from his employer. Duncan called the employer and learned that the employer had not given Moden a load of copper and that Moden has not worked for him in two months.

Duncan and Vaughn then continued their investigation at 253 Hogum Hollow. They found evidence of forced entry at the back door. They noticed that copper wire and plumbing pipe had been removed from the basement and other areas. Water puddles were on the floor and a cable cutter was found.

The investigators returned to 257 Hogum Hollow and confronted Moden with what his former employer had said. Moden was now joined by McCullough. The men changed the story to say they brought the copper from Ohio.

Along with the copper, Duncan said he noticed the load contained several sheath knives, a plaster Confederate statue with rebel flags and a Cloudland High School Highlander basketball gym bag. He said McCullough claimed everything had come from Ohio.

Duncan said he took some of the copper pipe from the load and took it to the house to compare with the remaining pipes. He said the cuts matched. A neighbor identified the gym bag as coming from the deceased man’s house. The neighbor said he had also worked on the plumbing on occasion and could identify the joints and connections as being repairs he had made.

Duncan said the house will probably need new plumbing and new wiring as a result of the damage.

Moden and McCullough were arrested late Saturday night. Duncan said McCullough and Moden are flight risks because they have no ties to Tennessee. He said McCullough has an extensive criminal history in Ohio for drugs and burglary, with a notification to police officers to “approach with caution.”

Duncan said Moden has a long criminal history in Texas and Ohio, including drugs and weapons charges and felony convictions.
Value AddedArticle Title: Two charged with stealing copper from dead man’s house
Written by: John Thompson

Published: Published July 30, 2012 By John Thompson - Elizabethton Bureau Chief
Last updated: Published July 30, 2012 By John Thompson - Elizabethton Bureau Chief
Comments

Read more: http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/article....
mary lou

Johnson City, TN

#2 Sep 12, 2012
u know before themthe clawsons lived there and the cops was alwasy coming over there looking for then joe joe and troy
your sooo funny

Knoxville, TN

#3 Sep 13, 2012
mary lou wrote:
u know before themthe clawsons lived there and the cops was alwasy coming over there looking for then joe joe and troy
haahaaahaa facts are such a LIE BUSTER aint they!!Whats wrong you guys got caught red handed and still want to blam someone else!!Well at least you guys give the community a laugh...OLD MARY LOU
Someone who knows

Cleveland, TN

#4 Oct 14, 2012
mary lou wrote:

Stupid, they never lived there. These people sure set a record in one year. Dirty bunch you have for a family Mary Lou.
ole jack

Spruce Pine, NC

#5 Oct 14, 2012
thats why most of the foreigners cant understand why we dont like them moveing in here, that goes for all theives,yankees,mexicans,fags, and floridians, most yankees and floridians want to come in here and make us change to their living lifestyles, mexicans dont give a shit one way or the other as long as they can steal off someone and gang up, drank beer and raise hell..........
Someone who knows

Cleveland, TN

#6 Oct 15, 2012
If I had anything missing that's the first place I would look. They can't seem to make a living without stealing or writing bad checks. When they do get jobs they steal from their employers.
wondering

Cleveland, TN

#7 Nov 9, 2012
Heard the cops were there again a few days ago looking for a stolen chain saw and other items. Guess they are still at it.
mary lou

Johnson City, TN

#8 Nov 9, 2012
one of the ersons living ther reported the saw missing and iam not related to any of them i just know thm
former neighbor

Cleveland, TN

#9 Nov 9, 2012
mary lou wrote:
one of the ersons living ther reported the saw missing and iam not related to any of them i just know thm

I guess they are stealing from each other now.
puzzled

Knoxville, TN

#10 Nov 10, 2012
what is an erson?
hosa rodreckis

Spruce Pine, NC

#11 Nov 12, 2012
you ignorant inbred hillbillas me mexican and know what they meant arson dumbass fire fire fire......
TRUTH HAS IT

Knoxville, TN

#12 Nov 12, 2012
mary lou wrote:
I wouldnt claim em either!!LOL
TRUTH HAS IT

Knoxville, TN

#13 Nov 12, 2012
hosa rodreckis wrote:
you ignorant inbred hillbillas me mexican and know what they meant arson dumbass fire fire fire......
If you dont like us HILLYBILLIES go your a** back to Mexico!!!ASAP
TRUTH HAS IT

Knoxville, TN

#14 Nov 12, 2012
TRUTH HAS IT wrote:
<quoted text>I wouldnt claim em either!!LOL
OH By the way, take OLD MARY LOU with ya!
Mother Webster

Cleveland, TN

#15 Nov 13, 2012
TRUTH HAS IT wrote:
<quoted text>OH By the way, take OLD MARY LOU with ya!
Love it, love it ! Take the whole bunch with you. And I don't think that's the right definition of an erson. I think an erson is something like a mole that crawls out and steals stuff and crawls back in it's hole. It has beady looking eyes like it's on drugs or something. Even though it can't see where it's going it will search till it finds something to carry off.
Mother Webster

Cleveland, TN

#16 Nov 14, 2012
An erson is related to the ermine and the polecat. Polecats have a pair of anal glands that emit a strong-smelling secretion, like all mustelids. When they are excited or threatened they release some of the contents of these glandslecat.
hosa rodreckis

Spruce Pine, NC

#17 Nov 14, 2012
TRUTH HAS IT wrote:
<quoted text>If you dont like us HILLYBILLIES go your a** back to Mexico!!!ASAP
truth has it your a pos.
To Hosa

Cleveland, TN

#18 Nov 15, 2012
You ain't a bit more Mexican than I am. You're just a wanna be Mexican. You don't even know how to spell the name right. They can spell and write better than that. I think you are just ashamed to admit that you are white. I can see right through you. If you are ashamed to be American than you should be sent to Mexico. You are a disgrace to the Mexican race.
To Hosa

Cleveland, TN

#19 Nov 15, 2012
Oh, and by the way don't forget to take old Mary Lou with you. Take all them ersons with you. lol..
mary lou

Kingsport, TN

#20 Nov 15, 2012
i aient going anywhere an the people of roan mt r inbreads and stupid as they care about is wht they can get for nothing welfair and food stamps i ave ha jpb allmy life a earned evrything i got wich is a lotmore that the people there that hasnothing else to do that talk about everyone ele thats what a hillbillie is. sit on porch an watch everyone else but i dont live there an never will becaue all u inbreads suck. the southern people are friendly and careing but ypou all r not so hut up and talk to all your relatives

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roan Mountain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Know it all 6 hr Katie 60
Who is it 16 hr Hello 4
Heather hughes Tue Studentt 15
Sondra Birchfield. Tue big balls 2
Dylan Mon For real 2
Hateful lady Mon For real 2
Mike Hill (Jul '14) Sep 15 Joni_Cannonmouth 33

Roan Mountain Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance