Memories of Rives School "Home of the...

Memories of Rives School "Home of the WildCats!"

Posted in the Rives Forum

“A Country Boy Can Survive!”

Since: Dec 08

Rives Missouri

#1 Dec 5, 2008
I attended Rives school from 1966 until 1970, first grade thru fourth grade. My teachers were Sylvia Gibson, Carolyn East, Uda Holt, and Bonnie Bowden. The school Principal was Orbe Whitlock who drowned during a fishing trip in 1968. Myself, and several others from Rives (Joey Bradley, Travis Payne, Junior Scott, David Crossno, Bobby Crews, Kenny Vasquez, Ricky Decker, Teresa Battles, Marsha Martin, Clarence Johnson, Jerry Duckworth, Harold Smith, Linda Lemons) went on to middle school at Caruth 70-71, Junior high at Hornersville 73-73, and on to Senath High 74-78. The Rives school was built around 1948 and was torn down around 1985. The gymnasium was demolished some time later, but I was just wondering if there were anyone else out there who might have attended and have as good memories of that little school as I do and if anyone knew what happened some of the teachers and students I mentioned.
long gone

Brookfield, CT

#2 Jun 7, 2010
Attended Rives schools from 1st through 7th. Best school I ever attended. I remember we had almost an hour for lunch. Remember going over to Rene's cafe for lunch..then they cut that out. Everyone knew everyone. No cliques at Rives school, we were pretty much all poor but did not know it until I moved away..but we were not trash. Mrs. O'Kelly, Mrs. Wright, Miss Holt, Mrs. Truelove, Mr. Culp were my teachers. Then later it was Mr. Mabry, Mr. Rose, and Mrs. Hayden. Mr. Mahon and Mrs. O'Kane were PE teachers. Mr. Whitlock the Principal. Mr. Campbell the Special Ed. teacher.

Mrs. Wright, Miss Holt...wore my butt out with a paddle. Mr. Whitlock did too and you sure knew he did when he got finished. All the rest of them should have and could have.

I remember almost everyone of those people you mentioned but they were all a couple of years younger.

Hated when we had to leave that school. I miss that school, that little town, and I remember when it was an active little place. Lots going on, businesses, hard working people. None of us were perfect...but lots of good people.

I remember some the kids that are no longer with us..some died when we were kids some have gone on since. I remember lots of adults who were great role models and have gone on home before us. Good times and tragedies...I guess that is life.

Not there anymore....been back once in over 20 years. Just passed through awhile back. No school, no gym, no gin...not the same.

I think of a country song when I think of Rives..."It's where I drank my first beer..It's where I found Jesus...where I wrecked my first car....I tore it all to pieces...I learned the path to heaven...is full of sinners and believers...learned that happiness on earth ain't just for high achievers....there is life at both ends of that old dirt road"

I am over 50 now...left there at 18...but the Rives people will always be my people.

My...when you look back..time flies.
One of many

Chicago, IL

#3 Sep 4, 2010
Ricky decker died several years ago from cancer and Travis payne now lives someplace around st Louis And David crossno lives in Blytheville or the last I heard this is where they lived---someone should put togeather a reunion of the folks that just went to rives school
long gone

Brookfield, CT

#4 Sep 7, 2010
They do have a reunion...every year. Just had it in August.
NeverGoingBack

United States

#5 Jun 28, 2011
Have no good memories of that place.
Terry

United States

#6 Jun 28, 2011
How about making out? Ain't that a good memory?
long gone

Park Hills, MO

#7 Jul 11, 2011
NeverGoingBack, when did you live there?
Rives Wildcat 78

New Iberia, LA

#8 Jul 26, 2011
I suppose every person has different memories of the place they grew up. I have mostly fond memories of a small town where kids could play outside after dark, the air filled with the smell of hamburgers grilling at the brooks cafe and the juke box blairing out loud beach boys music, kids drag racing the quarter mile on highway 164 east of town, summerschool at Rives school, vacation bible school a the Missionary Baptist Church, nightime ball games which drew large crowds, trucks lined up at the grainery/ gin dropping off their harvest of grain, kids on banana bikes riding the streets and playing at the railroad tressel west of town, teenagers hanging out at vaughns pool hall. old men playing checkers on the front porch of kinnisons grocery store, blue scott slapping his knee as he greeted you, mr. workman crossing the street with his cane and crippled leg, homer westerfield and his flea market/home, joe graves pool hall, durham wards junkyard, weavers station and grocery, and finally, my family, my parents, my brother, my sister and me, Mayberry it wasnt, but it sure was close.
Interested_here

Arkadelphia, AR

#9 Jan 18, 2012
Does anyone have any pictures of the school and any of the town? I'm looking for some pics here. Can you post them in the Picture section here? I'd like to see the old places again.
long gone

Farmington, MO

#10 Mar 19, 2012
I remember it pretty much like Wildcat 78. For such a small community, it actually had a lot going on and lots of people coming and going.

I remember back in the early 60's on Halloween Night the street/road would be packed with kids trick or treating. Everyone knew everyone and parents did not have to worry...they could just let kids visit every home in town....and the treats were good. Lots of them were home made treats and you knew the places to stop that had the best homemade treats. The best was Miss Creasy's popcorn balls.
drummer78

Jonesboro, AR

#11 Mar 1, 2013
Rives Wildcat 78 wrote:
I suppose every person has different memories of the place they grew up. I have mostly fond memories of a small town where kids could play outside after dark, the air filled with the smell of hamburgers grilling at the brooks cafe and the juke box blairing out loud beach boys music, kids drag racing the quarter mile on highway 164 east of town, summerschool at Rives school, vacation bible school a the Missionary Baptist Church, nightime ball games which drew large crowds, trucks lined up at the grainery/ gin dropping off their harvest of grain, kids on banana bikes riding the streets and playing at the railroad tressel west of town, teenagers hanging out at vaughns pool hall. old men playing checkers on the front porch of kinnisons grocery store, blue scott slapping his knee as he greeted you, mr. workman crossing the street with his cane and crippled leg, homer westerfield and his flea market/home, joe graves pool hall, durham wards junkyard, weavers station and grocery, and finally, my family, my parents, my brother, my sister and me, Mayberry it wasnt, but it sure was close.
i remember it all too well and miss those days. i tell my kids about it and they think i am craky lol
taxpayer

Saint Louis, MO

#12 Sep 26, 2014
My best memory of Rives is a girl named Diane Johnson - also known as Debbie Johnson. She had Hollywood good looks and was so sweet in elementary school. Her dad moved the family to St. Louis during 4th or 5th grade and life just wasn't the same. She returned to attend high school at Senath-Hornersville but didn't seem interested in the Rives boys any longer. She broke my heart :-)
cottonpicker

Farmington, MO

#13 May 11, 2015
taxpayer wrote:
My best memory of Rives is a girl named Diane Johnson - also known as Debbie Johnson. She had Hollywood good looks and was so sweet in elementary school. Her dad moved the family to St. Louis during 4th or 5th grade and life just wasn't the same. She returned to attend high school at Senath-Hornersville but didn't seem interested in the Rives boys any longer. She broke my heart :-)
I remember Debbie Diane Johnson. Her Daddy's name was Leo. She had an older sister. She would be about 63 years old now. I still see her at about 14 or 15. Wonder what she looks like?
Brooks cafe

Florissant, MO

#14 Jul 6, 2015
Rives Wildcat 78 wrote:
. My grandma and grandfather owned the cafe
Brooks cafe

Florissant, MO

#15 Jul 6, 2015
Brooks cafe wrote:
<quoted text>. My grandma and grandfather owned the cafe
I am 58 now still remember my grandfather setting on the front porch on a soda case he had the DX station my dad ran the garage Wayne brooks was my dad Clint and Lillie Brooks were my grandparents. We lived in a house across from the Baptist Church next to Mary and leaster.
Vogue

Farmington, MO

#16 Jan 24, 2016
taxpayer wrote:
She was in my class and graduated with us in 1965 so you do not remember everything about her. She attended hornersville as a freshman and the senath-hornersville boys went nuts over her. By far the most beautiful girl in the entire school. Greg Swafford, Doctors son, tried to be her steady but she would have nothing of it.
Her family moved to Deliplane Arkansas to join the farming operation with her grandparents Dave and Grace Mears and her Uncle and Aunt Billy and Charlene Johnson. She became a RN and married and still lives in the Deliplane area.
I saw her Dad, Leo, several years ago and asked about her and her older sister Sherry. He said Diane had been in an abusive relationship until he finally took matters in his own hands and worked her husband over before running him off. No doubt that he would do it.
She may be 64 years old today but I will always remember her as 14 and Absolutely beautiful .
Carla Martin

Forrest City, AR

#17 Feb 14, 2016
I lived in Rives from1962 when I was born till I was 9 then moved a few miles away to Gobbler. Lived there till I was 13. Moved to Arkansas at 13. I went through 3rd grade at Rives. I remember Ms. Holt. My dad was on the school board. He was a farmer. Orhpis (O. A.) Martin. I remember lots of family there. I miss the feeling of good neighbors and being safe with our doors open and never locked. After 3rd grade went to Hornersville, Senath and Caruth. I agree with never knowing we were poor. I feel we were sheltered. I sure miss the flat lands.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rives Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MC and JF 3 hr Special 9
Temporary Visible Things, Eternal Invisible Things 4 hr guest 2
Remember the Purpose 4 hr guest 2
Turn to the Lord today! 4 hr guest 2
Night and Morning 4 hr guest 2
Draw Close to Me 4 hr guest 2
Prayer for today 5 hr guest 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rives Mortgages