Fatal motorcycle crash leads to warni...

Fatal motorcycle crash leads to warning for drivers

There are 13 comments on the WDTN Dayton story from May 21, 2008, titled Fatal motorcycle crash leads to warning for drivers. In it, WDTN Dayton reports that:

A motorcycle accident has claimed the life of man in Riverside. It happened Wednesday night at Old Troy Pike and Needmore.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WDTN Dayton.

Gary D

Xenia, OH

#1 May 21, 2008
Another motorcyclist is killed by a motorist who did not see him and turned left in front of him. He gets to take a life and only gets a ticket. A family is without a loved one and there is only concern that he didn't wear a helmet. I do wear a helmet but I will defend his right not to wear one. Our state does not require us to wear a helmet and everytime there is a bike wreck you make it sound as we broke the law by not wearing a helmet.
Sarahbones

Cincinnati, OH

#2 May 21, 2008
The CAR turned in front/cut off the motorcycle and it becomes a "helmet issue"? She will have to live with this the rest of her life; I bet she'll see motorcycles better now.
GeeGee

Dayton, OH

#3 May 22, 2008
The issue here is not that he was not wearing a helmet. The issue is that yet another motorcycle rider has been killed by a "cage". This is a case of vehicular homicide either way you look at it. We as motorcycle riders still have a say in weather we wear a helmet or not. I am so tired of this always trying to be the blame for "all" fatalities. She should be charged regardless of if she hit a motorcycle or another car. What is wrong with our judicial system??
Will T

Montgomery, AL

#4 May 22, 2008
I agree with the other posts. After a collision, do to a driver not paying attention, the first thing you here was the motorcyclist wasn't wearing a helmet. I have always worn one and always will. That doesn't give someone the right to run over a motorcycle because the operator wasn't wearing a helmet. There are to many drivers not paying attention to driving. I wouldn't have a problem if Ohio did pass a helmet law again if they passed a ban on driving with a cell phone in your ear, also. This wasn't an accident, it was vehicular homicide do to not paying attention to driving.
Tim S

Dayton, OH

#5 May 22, 2008
I heard about the tragidy this morning on WDTN and have since read about in wdtn.com and daytondailynews.com . Both stories recite the basic who, what, when and where, however when listening to the story on television it came across to me that the motorcyclist was dead because he wasn't wearing a helmet. Not True. He is dead because an inattentive driver killed him. Would he have lived if he was wearing a helmet? Maybe, maybe not. But the inattentive driver would have still caused grave injuries or death. It would have been nice if Sgt. Simmons had suggested that drivers put down their cell phones and pay attention to operating the 1.5 ton death wagon they drive. I have been riding to work almost every day (Spring through Fall) for more than 10 years. In the last two weeks I have seen uncountable numbers of people talking on the phone while driving and 3 people texting. TEXTING!?!?!? while driving. Come-on people wake up!
Alferd E Newman

Dayton, OH

#6 May 22, 2008
The investigation should also include whether this woman has a cell phone and if it was in use at the time of the accident. If so, that would be a strong case for a vehicular homicide charge. Prosecutors, do your homework before you allow this to be swept under the rug.
KrisC

AOL

#7 May 22, 2008
Just a moment's lapse of looking and someone is killed. I saw the accident scene. This man didn't have a chance, helmet or no helmet. The car ran right over the top of him. Why couldn't the driver turning left see him coming that close? It certainly looked like a cell phone could have made the driver inattentive to oncoming vehicles.
PAS

Montgomery, AL

#8 May 22, 2008
Why is it that every time there is a motorcycle fatality, there is the obligatory statement whether the rider was wearing a helmet or not. Why not give the full story? How about whether wearing or not wearing a helmet was even a factor. Not all fatalities are due to head injuries.
RAY

Dayton, OH

#9 May 22, 2008
I think the coverage of this whole story is unfair. Do you really think thoes are the only sound bytes the news media shot of Sgt. Simmons, the one only making a statement about the man wearing a helmet or not? The news edits so much of the actual interview and plays what THEY think is important. I agree with what Sgt. Simmons was saying, that this mans life COULD have been saved had he been wearing a helmet. Not only do helmets increase your chances of living, you have to, at some point say "gee, how much is my head worth to me?" Have you ever seen a NASCAR driver not wearing a seatbelt? Have you ever seen a professional motorcycle racer not wearing a helmet? Hum, why is that....it seems so obvious, it increases your chances of living!
JEAN

United States

#10 May 23, 2008
HOW CAN YOU JUDGE HER? SHE IS A GOOD PERSON.
GRIEVING FAMILY

United States

#11 May 26, 2008
JEAN wrote:
HOW CAN YOU JUDGE HER? SHE IS A GOOD PERSON.
How can we judge her? Are you serious? Hey Jean, how would you feel if I was carelessly yapping away on my cell phone and ran down one of your loved ones? NEWS FLASH JEAN! LORA WARE IS A MURDERER, AND MURDERERS ARE NOT GOOD PEOPLE!!!! WE, THE FAMILY HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO JUDGE THIS CARELESS WOMAN, AND WILL DO EVERYTHING IN OUR POWER TO MAKE SURE SHE DOES TIME FOR VEHICULAR HOMICIDE, SO SHE CAN BE AWAY FROM HER FAMILY, LIKE WE HAVE NO CHANCE OF EVER SEEING JOHNNY AGAIN!!! SHE HAS TO PAY FOR WHAT SHE HAS DONE, AND "SORRY" JUST DOES NOT CUT IT.
Larry M

AOL

#12 May 26, 2008
I think people who do not have a motorcycle endorsment should have no say so in helmet laws. If they insist on one maybe all auto drivers should have to wear full coverage helmets,hans device, and a 7 point racing harness while having their air conditioning disabled, no cell phone, and no radio, because racing has proven that this is the safest way to travel.
GREG

Cincinnati, OH

#13 May 26, 2008
I hope the family sues the dog poo out of her. People refuse to slow down, leave plenty of distance between the car in front of them, fail to pay attention, and want to blame everyone else for what happened. Nice people kill people. What an excuse - she was "NICE" - nice people pay attention and don't kill people because of their celf-centered stupidity - Please! And the media... they do not tell all of the facts, they distort things terribly and put their spin on things. I know - I've seen hundreds of TV news scenes as they have unfolded - and they report distorted incidents. They are pathetic.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Riverside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ryan Lucas St John 1 hr brystjohn 15
Leonard fugate (Sep '15) 6 hr FifthSt 8
The little snots and the Beavercreek bus boycotts! 11 hr Informant 3
D.P.&L. Sucks! (Jun '16) 11 hr Informant 9
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 17 hr mexico 20,845
Open-border retard Republicans & dumbass Democrats Sat Latina Lover 1
Dear Paul D.,... Sat The Duke of Hazard 1

Riverside Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Riverside Mortgages