Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments (Page 1,180)

Showing posts 23,581 - 23,600 of31,000
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2013

Judged:

Irish1158 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is funny that you call me uncaring. No maybe I don't have to feed or cloth YOUR children but there are a number of kids who come to school on an empty stomach. I have no resentment about what I do or why I do it. I just would like a cost of living raise but if you think that is asking too much fine, I will continue to feed, cloth and love my students and my job. All I have been trying to get across is that it is a profession and I am tired of being treated like a lazy, money grubbing individual. I pay taxes too. I don't resent it if the police or fire department ask for a raise and they are union employees I believe. I don't resent my taxes going up to fund better township services because I know that when all is said and done the better your community the better the housing prices are. Too bad in my neighborhood so many houses are for sale and no one is buying because of the disparity of people in the community. A community that is as divided as ours is not a place most people moving want to come to. Everyone loses in that case.
Anyway, I am done arguing with the narrow minded bigots on this sight. I think I will go back to my job and try to teach my students tolerance and perhaps they will be better citizens then most of you self-centered people on here.
Thank you for your Mother Teresa outlook for our children, I am sure all of the dirt bag parents you describe appreciate your altruistic efforts.

Police ad Firemen work 52 weeks per year, providing service every day of the year and around the clock. 2080 hours of service vs 1181.25 hours for our professional teaching staff.
175 days x 7.25 hours per day= 1268.75 hours per year - 87.5 hours for lunch = 1181.25 per year

When I checked the states salary reports going back to 2008 I do not find many teachers who have not had a raise each year(by many I am talking about less than 7% our of 330 odd teachers). Everyone else had raises some of them quite substantial,($7-10,000 dollars).

I believe that is substantially more than a mere cost of living raise. This flies in the face of your claim that you have not had a raise in many years, unless you are one of the top earners to begin with making over $60,000 per school year (1181.25 hours or $50.79/hour wage)

$60,000 on 175 days is $342.83 per day.

Those unsold houses will translate into lower property tax dollars available to pay your salary.

Be careful what you wish for, it may come true.

If my numbers are incorrect, please feel free to correct them with a reasonable explanation.
Lurker

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Irish1158 wrote:
I just think we should start a blog on all your jobs and bash the fact that many of you can go to the bathroom when you want to with out a bell telling you when you can or take a phone call when you need to. Do you give your clients your home number? I do because I can usually only talk to parents during off hours because my phone doesn't ring in my classroom. Did you have to get a bachalor's and a master's degree to keep your job? I did. Do you have to deal with clients who could give a damn about the product (their kid). Do you have to go out and buy clothes and food for your clients because they don't have any? Do you ever have to worry about being hit or bit by your clients. I have worked in business for years before I became a teacher and didn't have to deal with this. But I did choose teaching for the passion of helping kids. I do not thinking that asking for a raise after six years is asking too much but you who have never stepped into a classroom as an adult just go on putting us down. It makes you feel superior to those of us who are trying to shape and make a difference in the lives of those who one day will be taking care of your retirement. I hope they treat you the same way you treat those of us that choose to make a difference. Everyone's jobi is important from the garbage man to the clerk that works at a deli. Do you go into the deli and tell the person working at the counter that you don't think you are going to pay them for their food because al they did was throw the meat on the bun. No, you pay for what you get.
You negative people just drive me nuts since you speak without a clue of what it is like to be in a classroom as a teacher. But go ahead, keep complaining that we are over paid, vacation taking lazy people who only want money to live our lavish life style. Oh and by the way, I am loosing my home due to not having a raise, but my heat, Internet, phone bills, groceries, insurance and gas have all increased. Not to mention the tuition for my children's college has increased. I haven't taken a vacation in several years but I am a money grubbing teacher who lives off the hands of you tax paying citizens. Oh wait, I pay taxes here too. You are such narrow-minded bigots and have no compassion. Do you consider yourself a good Christian too? That would be the icing on the cake, since they are supposed to live as Jesus did. Not judging those whom you don't know.
Thanks for all you do!
respect

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for all you do!
Yes, thank you for all you do. Some people in this town do respect teachers and the teaching profession!

Don't drive yourself crazy reading the limited views on this blog.
Private Sector

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Irish1158 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is funny that you call me uncaring. No maybe I don't have to feed or cloth YOUR children but there are a number of kids who come to school on an empty stomach. I have no resentment about what I do or why I do it. I just would like a cost of living raise but if you think that is asking too much fine, I will continue to feed, cloth and love my students and my job. All I have been trying to get across is that it is a profession and I am tired of being treated like a lazy, money grubbing individual. I pay taxes too. I don't resent it if the police or fire department ask for a raise and they are union employees I believe. I don't resent my taxes going up to fund better township services because I know that when all is said and done the better your community the better the housing prices are. Too bad in my neighborhood so many houses are for sale and no one is buying because of the disparity of people in the community. A community that is as divided as ours is not a place most people moving want to come to. Everyone loses in that case.
Anyway, I am done arguing with the narrow minded bigots on this sight. I think I will go back to my job and try to teach my students tolerance and perhaps they will be better citizens then most of you self-centered people on here.
I think if you check the records home sales are way up in Springboro. I feel it is because we have responsibile people in most local government who are trying not to waste our tax dollars.
I know some teachers work really hard but that has nothing at all to do with this debate. Many people in all proffesions work hard. It all evens out.
poundsand

Miamisburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Irish1158 wrote:
<quoted text>
'Scuse me teach, but the narrow minded bigots are your union leaders.

Do us a favor and stick to teaching reading, writing and math.

One of the pet words of this age is tolerance... we have tried to stretch it over too great an area. We have applied it, too often, where it does not belong. The word tolerant means liberal and broad-minded. In one sense, it implies the compromise of one’s convictions, a yielding of ground upon important issues. We have become tolerant about divorce, the use of alcohol, delinquency, wickedness in high places, immorality, crime and godlessness. We have been sapped of conviction, drained of our beliefs, and we are bereft of our faith.

A great historian in 1888 briefly discussed “Tolerance” by stating it means an inability to say “Yes” or “No.” It expresses the users “... the inability to take a stand.”

Our kids don't need to be taught 'tolerance'. Good grief.
Here Come da Judge

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Irish1158 wrote:
I just think we should start a blog on all your jobs and bash the fact that many of you can go to the bathroom when you want to with out a bell telling you when you can or take a phone call when you need to. Do you give your clients your home number? I do because I can usually only talk to parents during off hours because my phone doesn't ring in my classroom. Did you have to get a bachalor's and a master's degree to keep your job? I did. Do you have to deal with clients who could give a damn about the product (their kid). Do you have to go out and buy clothes and food for your clients because they don't have any? Do you ever have to worry about being hit or bit by your clients. I have worked in business for years before I became a teacher and didn't have to deal with this. But I did choose teaching for the passion of helping kids. I do not thinking that asking for a raise after six years is asking too much but you who have never stepped into a classroom as an adult just go on putting us down. It makes you feel superior to those of us who are trying to shape and make a difference in the lives of those who one day will be taking care of your retirement. I hope they treat you the same way you treat those of us that choose to make a difference. Everyone's jobi is important from the garbage man to the clerk that works at a deli. Do you go into the deli and tell the person working at the counter that you don't think you are going to pay them for their food because al they did was throw the meat on the bun. No, you pay for what you get.
You negative people just drive me nuts since you speak without a clue of what it is like to be in a classroom as a teacher. But go ahead, keep complaining that we are over paid, vacation taking lazy people who only want money to live our lavish life style. Oh and by the way, I am loosing my home due to not having a raise, but my heat, Internet, phone bills, groceries, insurance and gas have all increased. Not to mention the tuition for my children's college has increased. I haven't taken a vacation in several years but I am a money grubbing teacher who lives off the hands of you tax paying citizens. Oh wait, I pay taxes here too. You are such narrow-minded bigots and have no compassion. Do you consider yourself a good Christian too? That would be the icing on the cake, since they are supposed to live as Jesus did. Not judging those whom you don't know.
Judge not your neighbor according to Alinsky's rules of ridiculing Christians by smirking that no one can live up to "perfection."
There's only one Perfect One -- Our Lord and Savior, the One Son of God, Jesus Christ. And we all know according to scriptures that the "tax collectors" taunted even The Perfect One.

The biblical teaching of ...be ye therefore perfect... is simply The Way of those who follow the teachings of Jesus... always striving, but always knowing that we teach for eternity...life is a journey of learning and growing spiritually....so there is, no not one, who has has graduated life's education of having "arrived" as the expert in judging others (with whom you disagree on the issue of increasing school taxes) as narrow minded bigots having no compassion...

Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Tolerance from the union level means that a person agrees with the union position.

If that person deviates from the union position they are deemed narrow minded bigots.

Makes perfect sense to me.
Numbers wrong again

Findlay, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for your Mother Teresa outlook for our children, I am sure all of the dirt bag parents you describe appreciate your altruistic efforts.
Police ad Firemen work 52 weeks per year, providing service every day of the year and around the clock. 2080 hours of service vs 1181.25 hours for our professional teaching staff.
175 days x 7.25 hours per day= 1268.75 hours per year - 87.5 hours for lunch = 1181.25 per year
When I checked the states salary reports going back to 2008 I do not find many teachers who have not had a raise each year(by many I am talking about less than 7% our of 330 odd teachers). Everyone else had raises some of them quite substantial,($7-10,000 dollars).
I believe that is substantially more than a mere cost of living raise. This flies in the face of your claim that you have not had a raise in many years, unless you are one of the top earners to begin with making over $60,000 per school year (1181.25 hours or $50.79/hour wage)
$60,000 on 175 days is $342.83 per day.
Those unsold houses will translate into lower property tax dollars available to pay your salary.
Be careful what you wish for, it may come true.
If my numbers are incorrect, please feel free to correct them with a reasonable explanation.
Teachers in Springboro are contracted for 185 days. There you go again fudging numbers to fit your claim. The average 40 hour a week person works 240 days a year with their vacation days and government holidays as well. Step raises are about 1,000 dollars a year. Where on earth do you see 7,000 to 10,000 dollar raises?
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Numbers wrong again wrote:
<quoted text>
Teachers in Springboro are contracted for 185 days. There you go again fudging numbers to fit your claim. The average 40 hour a week person works 240 days a year with their vacation days and government holidays as well. Step raises are about 1,000 dollars a year. Where on earth do you see 7,000 to 10,000 dollar raises?
You must have too many Corona's.

So how many hours of instruction do you provide per year?

Step raises? You mean a raise in pay each year? For what?

http://www.buckeyeinstitute.org/teacher-salar...
Provides you public employee salary information, just plug in the school name, district name, and salary range you wish to investigate

Look under the special education teachers pay, some science teachers, some math teachers, some foreign language teachers, basically all over the spectrum. There you will find a multitude of teachers who have seen their pay rise $7,000-$10,000 since 2008.

The vast majority have seen their pay increase from $5,000-$6500 during the same time frame.

Only a bare handful received nothing for some reason.
Numbers wrong again

Findlay, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Look at your districts contract your board put on your website. 2007-2008 for the first 14 years the raises were 1600 dollars a year. The Buckeye Institute is a conservative think tank. Can't trust those numbers. That's about 70 bucks a check. In 14 years of service why is it unthinkable that an employee can receive a 20,000 dollar raise? I know for a fact some places in the private sector can easily do that. 1350 hours of instruction for Springboro Teachers. You asked about step raises, obviously you don't believe in cost of living so I'm not going to try to convince you on those, it's a mute point.
poundsand

Miamisburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

why is someone from Corona, CA commenting on Springboro teachers financials?
Reject Forced Unionism

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

Irish1158 wrote:
<quoted text>
As stated before, come do my job for a week, be sure to wear long sleeve in case you get bit, then we can have a more intelligent conversation. Oh, and by the way, the kids need size 7 to 10 clothing and they like graham crackers for breakfast. Don't forget the milk too cause some of them don't drink that for breakfast, their caring parents give them Mountain Dew and Poptarts.
I hope you don't need surgery during the week either because our "fantastic" insurance doesn't cover that much and and your simple surgery will end up costing you $10,000.
Have a blessed day.
Have the day of your choice.... but don't forget that it is the "union teacher in every child's classroom" that has proclaimed
"give me more of your money and let the little children come unto the government union worker." How arrogant of you to ridicule
"caring parents give them Mountain Dew and Pop Tarts..." while demanding pay increases and more benefits for union teacher who hands out the "graham crackers."

This is clearly an intrusion of the government into the God-Given blessing of relationship between Mom&Dad and their child;
It is not the business of the union teacher to "put asunder what God has joined together; AND it is the God-Given mission of
the church (not the union government employee) to feed the hungry and clothe the naked in the blessed name of Jesus... as beautifully expressed in the words of Psalm 27:10:
Though my father and mother forsake me,
the Lord will receive me.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2013

Judged:

poundsand wrote:
Unions are everywhere.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Really Hard Jobs wrote:
<quoted text>
Being a garbage man is no day at the beach either. A trauma nurse working in the knife and gun club at Good Sam doesn't have it easy either. How about the night clerk at the convenience store up on North Dixie? The men and women in all kinds of weather conditions day or night keeping your power flowing? The men and women who have given of themselves to protect this country in wastelands like Afghanistan and Iraq on multiple deployments working 24/7, you think they wouldn't like a summer off? Try living in a foxhole for a few days in some crappy weather while somebody is trying to kill you, that will make you appreciate how cush you got it. Spare me the tales of sacrifice a lot of people got it a lot harder.
If you think starting out working for $30.82/hour part time is pathetic, try one of these jobs full time in all kinds of weather every day of the year.

Let me know what you think of your remuneration then.
joker

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

poundsand wrote:
It's a teacher on vacation in California again !
poundsand

Miamisburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Unions are everywhere.
yea, well Springboro doesn't need any advice from the peoples republic of Kalifornia. The bluest of the blue states, California, Illinois and New York all in the crapper and getting worse. Gee I wonder what the common denominator is?
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Does anyone see post 24014, 24015 or 24016?

They seem to be deleted for some reason, perhaps the truth is inconvenient for some people.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Numbers wrong again wrote:
<quoted text>
Full Time employment with your numbers
240 days x 8 hours per day = 1920 hours per year

School employee with your numbers
185 days x 7.25 hours per day = 1341.5 hours per year

1341.5 hours for school employee /1920 hours for full time employee=70% of full time hours

40 hours per week vs 28 hours per week (on an annualized basis)
Observer

Lebanon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
Does anyone see post 24014, 24015 or 24016?
They seem to be deleted for some reason, perhaps the truth is inconvenient for some people.
Looks like they got 24021 as well. There is somebody out there who doesn't like the truth or those who do the telling. I saw it this mornng, put it up again and I will copy it and post it myself.
Math Major

Lebanon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Full Time employment with your numbers
240 days x 8 hours per day = 1920 hours per year
School employee with your numbers
185 days x 7.25 hours per day = 1341.5 hours per year
1341.5 hours for school employee /1920 hours for full time employee=70% of full time hours
40 hours per week vs 28 hours per week (on an annualized basis)
You forgot to take out the paid lunches, I don't know of anybody who gets paid to eat lunch.
185 days x .5 hrs for lunch equals 92.5 hrs
1341.5 hrs per year - 92.5 hrs equals 1249 hrs
1249 hrs for teachers/1920 hrs for private sector full time employee equals 65% of the hrs of a private sector full time employee.
40 hrs/week in the private sector vs. 26 hrs/week in the school system, also annualized

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 23,581 - 23,600 of31,000
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Riverside Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Riverside People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••