Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
22,581 - 22,600 of 31,135 Comments Last updated Sunday
Hello

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Why thank you "She is too".....let me ask her.....Self, are you a teacher in Springboro - NOPE!!! Oh and Lisa Babb? NOPE!!! Not sure who your son is, but you might want to check out his story. You see, I know that Tina is not a teacher as I am Tina!!! hehehe
I love it when people get put in their place. Thanks Tina! Do you think other things like academic stats could also be wrong on this site??
Facts vs Opinion

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Impartial wrote:
At school board meeting tonight - Miller got himself re-elected. He gets bashed on this topix site but he is clearly with the majority of the community on the opposition of fees for the charter school consultant.
Don't you believe that the majority of the community is with union activists Don Miller in opposition of the board hiring a professional to conduct a feasibility study on ways to best use our Springboro School district resources.

Your statement is clearly your own very biased opinion (which of course is of more value to you than to others, and that's why we all have biased opinions because they are our own).
It may be a fact that the majority of your own community members, to who you have spoken, agree with your opinion.
But unless you have actually surveyed all school district community members in all schoold district voting precincts, then it is a fact that you have only spoken your opinion based on your personal experience.
Oh for Sure

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh Ridiculous....does it say teacher sub? Nope!! Besides, SCCS does not employe teacher subs.:) Silly Goose!! Anything else you would like to know about my employment? Rate of pay? How many sick days I get? How many days a year I get paid for? Hmmmmmm?
I could just have myself a super duper sparkly amazingly funderful onederful day with my bff's if only you could truthfully tell us that immediately your employment status will be full time with a big oh chunk of paycheck money in another school district far far away.
Facing Problems

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Records wrote:
wow
I was truly embarrassed by the liberals in the audience tonight. They were rude, crass, obnoxious and you guys on the board did not deserve that type of behavior from what otherwise is a seemingly courteous community.
Teachers are treated with respect and this school board was treated extremely poorly by them tonight. We were soooo embarrassed to live in this trashy community.
There was no respect shown to people that work for almost free not teachers that work for twice the wages as the rest of us. Just trashy and so disrespectful, really shameful. There were children in the audience and they saw that behavior, shameful. Poor school board.
My family and I were among those who attended the meeting,
in support of the board's 4-1 vote in favor of bringing the discussion of hiring the consultants, and expected that they would vote 4-1 approval during business meeting.
It was disappointing to see the vote die 3-2 under the leadership of Mr. Miller and Mrs. Kuhl. During this past year, Dr. Kohls, Mr. Petroni, and Mr. Rigano have been tirelessly educating our district of the upcoming challenges and problems that our students face with these new grading standards and ratings; but Mr. Miller continues his undermining protests in favor of keeping things the same, arguing that everything's going just fine and these upcoming challenges are presenting no problems.
When we consistently argue with ourselves or others that a problem isn't really a problem, the chances are... it really is a problem.
Hopefully the board can bring this back to vote on again soon; now that the emotions of it all are calmed and people can focus on the facts rather than scare tactics that their child will be left out in the cold with no union label and no socialization.
Hello

Miamisburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Oh for Sure wrote:
<quoted text>
I could just have myself a super duper sparkly amazingly funderful onederful day with my bff's if only you could truthfully tell us that immediately your employment status will be full time with a big oh chunk of paycheck money in another school district far far away.
So sorry to burst your bubble. I have no plans to relocate!!:)
Hello

Miamisburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Old Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Simple question, are you now, or have you ever, been paid by the Springboro School District in any capacity?
Why yes. I am an aide sub, so I do get paid by the district.$8.50 per hour - only the hours I work. I don't work during the summer, which means no payment. No contract, no benefits and no union dues. Next question......
Hello

Miamisburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
I love it when people get put in their place. Thanks Tina! Do you think other things like academic stats could also be wrong on this site??
Hello Hello - You are welcome! I would say yes. But what is the use of arguing? Just like a bunch of crickets, they make a lot of noise until you walk by them. But you can't walk by them because they don't fess up to who they really are and do not attend the board meetings.:)
Conflict

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

I read Petroni lists charter school facility finance and development services among his specialties on his real estate business profile page for his business (yes, he is owner of this business). Can you say CONFLICT!! I say get rid of him before he destroys Springboro schools with his own personal agenda and greed. Springboro, this is a CONFLICT!! Thank goodness even Kelly Kohls realized there was a problem and voted with the majority.
Coming up Round 2

Germantown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Judged:

Facing Problems wrote:
<quoted text>
My family and I were among those who attended the meeting,
in support of the board's 4-1 vote in favor of bringing the discussion of hiring the consultants, and expected that they would vote 4-1 approval during business meeting.
It was disappointing to see the vote die 3-2 under the leadership of Mr. Miller and Mrs. Kuhl. During this past year, Dr. Kohls, Mr. Petroni, and Mr. Rigano have been tirelessly educating our district of the upcoming challenges and problems that our students face with these new grading standards and ratings; but Mr. Miller continues his undermining protests in favor of keeping things the same, arguing that everything's going just fine and these upcoming challenges are presenting no problems.
When we consistently argue with ourselves or others that a problem isn't really a problem, the chances are... it really is a problem.
Hopefully the board can bring this back to vote on again soon; now that the emotions of it all are calmed and people can focus on the facts rather than scare tactics that their child will be left out in the cold with no union label and no socialization.
The conversion school discussion in Springboro is just getting started.

The Thursday night message of the pro-union blowhards can be summarized as such.....
"We've got excellent schools already, with excellent teachers, so because we're so excellent, we can address areas that we may be currently lacking (sufficient resources for both remedial and gifted education) in the existing infrastructure, with existing union teachers. So,________(board member), go ________yourself."

If our union teachers already had what it took to help prevent certain remedial and gifted students in Springboro from falling through the cracks then why did our union teachers individually and collectively choose to let this happen?

A conversion school in Springboro can offer educational opportunities far beyond to not only to better address the educational needs of certain students. Open minds understand this. Closed minds tend not to understand.

The conversion school discussion in Springboro is just getting started.
Proud Parent Boro Grads

Germantown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

Conflict wrote:
I read Petroni lists charter school facility finance and development services among his specialties on his real estate business profile page for his business (yes, he is owner of this business). Can you say CONFLICT!! I say get rid of him before he destroys Springboro schools with his own personal agenda and greed. Springboro, this is a CONFLICT!! Thank goodness even Kelly Kohls realized there was a problem and voted with the majority.
I just read the same thing. He needs to recuse himself.

In the meantime, if we think we need to look at how to do things better in Springboro Schools, challenge our staff to investigate. They are the experts and know our district. Aren't we paying our central staff for these kinds of things? If it is decided an outside firm is needed in order to investigate, hire one that covers all opportuntities to study, not just a Charter School.
The Charter School issue has #mistrust,#conflict of interest,#fiscal irresponsbility,#personal political agendas/aspirations, etc. written all over it. Take a step back BOE and regroup.
And....for the person who mentioned somewhere in this thread, that "it's only a few thousand dollars",no, it's $15,000 to be exact to a biased group.
I would love it

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

So if being in volved in Charter School finance is a conflict then should we allow anyone with a teaching background or involvment to be on the board? Wouldn't that be a conflict?
Facing Problems

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's Be Clear.... the greatest threat in Springboro to our children's future education is tunnel vision of our schools/community leadership.
Tina is only one of the mean-spirited moms who flaunt before others special bully empowerment privileges granted by our school superintendent, Mr. Todd Petrey, and the president of the Springboro Education Association, Mr. Scott Maney.

It is not enough for Mr. Maney that the Springboro Education Association owns our children's school tax dollars, our children's minds and physical bodies in the classroom taught by the Union Master; oh no, never enough for the evil ones ... they want to own our children's “collective” souls being held prisoner, one day at a time, to destructive union “collective” propaganda.

The blood thirsty agenda of the Union Masters was clearly projected throughout our Springboro high school auditorium on January 10, as once again, the creepy cult-like worshippers/followers of the SEA education false gods came forth to demand that the very heart of the soul (our self-respect as good citizens) of our community, be handed down by the Springboro Board of Education representative, to the demands of parents and teachers cheering, jeering, and loudly clapping for a Springboro Union Master for Every child. No Exceptions. One Size Garment With the Union Label Fits All.

Some disruptive parents and teachers yelled out their greedy hostility at board members to thunderous applause and standing ovations –“It’s Our Money.”
We demand it all. No Exceptions! One Size Education with the Union Label Fits All God's Little Children!

One Boro proud mom introduced herself as being just a simple girl, yet she projected her simple mindedness of our schools academic problem solving as "just enter Google" and presto - she proclaimed herself wiser than the expertise of board members, who had done extensive and careful research, before recommending a feasibility study considering opportunities for greater individual achievement for each uniquely-created, one-of-a-kind child. But hey! No worries! Our Teachers are the Greatest! Our Kids Are the Mostest gifted! And, as board member Wendy Kuhl reminded us all at the January 10 meeting,
“God Loves Panthers.” That’s the gospel, truth Mrs. Kuhl, because Union Activist and Mr. Petrey’s Levy Lady, Lisa Babb, slapped a sticker on the Babb Boy vehicle telling us so!

(Excuse me, Mrs. Kuhl, did the fine print on Lisa Babb’s sticker “God Loves Panthers” not read,“but only those who have forced union-classroom idoctrination?")
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

Proud Parent Boro Grads wrote:
<quoted text>
In the meantime, if we think we need to look at how to do things better in Springboro Schools, challenge our staff to investigate. They are the experts and know our district. Aren't we paying our central staff for these kinds of things? If it is decided an outside firm is needed in order to investigate, hire one that covers all opportuntities to study, not just a Charter School.
The Charter School issue has #mistrust,#conflict of interest,#fiscal irresponsbility,#personal political agendas/aspirations, etc. written all over it. Take a step back BOE and regroup.
And....for the person who mentioned somewhere in this thread, that "it's only a few thousand dollars",no, it's $15,000 to be exact to a biased group.
A biased group would be the teachers union, the SEA. Now that is bias and self interest personified.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

Conflict wrote:
It would only be a conflict if he was entering into a contract with his company. I do not believe that is the case.

Since all contracts are public record this would be a relatively simple charge to substantiate.

Aside from the aspersions you cast upon this man's character, I would be inclined to believe you have nothing of substance to offer beside your shrillness.

I would much rather have a cardiologist interpreting the results of my stress test than a foot doctor. Call me crazy, but its just the way I feel.
Facing Problem

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Excuse me, Boro proud little one, but Where's the Gratitude?

Hard working homeowners are investing our time and money into
providing a quality K-12 education for all Springboro school children while living within the means of our community resources. And if you can do the math, figure out how much money it cost the taxpayers of the state of Ohio to "proudly boro graduate you."

You didn't graduate yourself to earn your "Excellent With Stinkingness" education.

Your Proud Parents didn't graduate you!

Your Wonderful Teachers and Great Central Office Administrators didn't graduate you (not even with their loving hugs in the hallways and classrooms and not even inspiring words,
let's say, like ... have a nice day!

Do you not know who graduated you? School District Taxpaying homeowners and good citizens such as Mr David Petroni, Mr. Jim Rigano, and Dr. Kelly Kohls, along with about 10,000 household owners in our city and township (including Your Proud Parents).
Together, We did it all.....year after year paycheck after paycheck and on and on! Without all good citizens having the concern, dedication, and determiniation to work together doing
the right thing for our school children and community, there would be no school buildings, No union teachers in the classroom, No sports program, no central office administrators,(well you get the picture, don't you?) Why not "Picture Yourself" with a little gratitude, now that we have learned what amazing things human beings working together can accomplish (each one using our God given gifts of expertise to serve others) IF ...and Only IF, we just keep our hearts open to gratitude and thankfulness toward one another; and just simply this fighting within the school commuity adminstration and staff over WHO is the greatest and WHO desrves the most credit and applause.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Why yes. I am an aide sub, so I do get paid by the district.$8.50 per hour - only the hours I work. I don't work during the summer, which means no payment. No contract, no benefits and no union dues. Next question......
So as an employee you have a vested interest in the levy campaigns.

I have a vested interest in the education of all of our children. Currently there are over 2000 students in our district that are not getting what we the taxpayer has paid.

If you care to debunk the numbers the state puts forward on our yearly report cards and the results of the assessment tests, please do so.

Tell me where the numbers are incorrect and I shall gladly correct them.

Money will not solve the problem of poor educational results.

When only 63% of your students are passing, that grade will be a low D for the school district.
Oh come on

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

Conflict wrote:
That is saying something like Troy Holtry is conflicted because he is a basketball coach/teacher and on the SYB board. Maybe it is like Image Market company also acts as Athletic Boosters board. I can give you 100 other examples. Please stop being stupid here. There is no arguments about conflict that hold a drop of water.
Missing the Point

Miamisburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
I agree with this post and the logic within this thought seems to me to be correct. I am not for or against charter schools in Springboro and I don't know how anyone could have the answer if we have, as a community, just started this conversation. It has clearly become a divisive issue already and to not acknowledge that is ridiculous. We have made a big financial commitment to a new superintendent and senior new positions in the central administration. Let's give them a chance to do this review and if needed, bring in an unbiased consultant. Mr. Petroni needs to step away from this discussion given his financial interest in other charter school issues. The consultant that has been targeted is clearly biased towards charter schools so this is a waste of $15K. Charter schools with non-union teachers may very well be the answer, but let's have a broad conversation and analysis before committing to only one way forward.
the intermediator

Germantown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

Missing the Point wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with this post and the logic within this thought seems to me to be correct. I am not for or against charter schools in Springboro and I don't know how anyone could have the answer if we have, as a community, just started this conversation. It has clearly become a divisive issue already and to not acknowledge that is ridiculous. We have made a big financial commitment to a new superintendent and senior new positions in the central administration. Let's give them a chance to do this review and if needed, bring in an unbiased consultant. Mr. Petroni needs to step away from this discussion given his financial interest in other charter school issues. The consultant that has been targeted is clearly biased towards charter schools so this is a waste of $15K. Charter schools with non-union teachers may very well be the answer, but let's have a broad conversation and analysis before committing to only one way forward.
Thank you, Dr. Kohls.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

Ever notice the lack of substance from those who seem content to ridicule and lay waste to others. Nothing ever seems to come of their rants, no solutions, no definition of problems, nor caring for the children who they supposedly are doing all of this nonsense.

Where is the real empathy for anything other than your paycheck?

2000 plus students are failing and you want to do what?

They have been failing for the past decade, why has nothing been done in any of those years gone by?

How will telling the children that you need to wait another couple years to see if we can do anything to help will aid their future?

800 more kids will graduate in those two years and if the numbers hold,
300 or so will be unable to read or do basic math.

While you fiddle and oppose even the investigation of alternatives, our children pay the price.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Riverside Discussions

Search the Riverside Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 4 hr d pantz 29,362
Andy's Dean's "America Now" cancelled! 9 hr The Hack Checker 4
"I was not asked or consulted about this" 9 hr The Hack Checker 3
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 11 hr hsktommox 18,585
Mayora s immigration statement stirs up controv... 17 hr Fan of Leon The Man 1
Please Help!! Mon Crusader 1
would love to meet a cougar Sun Fan of Leon The Man 3
•••
•••
•••
Riverside Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Riverside Jobs

•••