Three from Ohio win $314M Powerball

Three from Ohio win $314M Powerball

There are 84 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Sep 10, 2007, titled Three from Ohio win $314M Powerball. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Two members of an Ohio family and a third Ohioan were identified today as the winners of the largest prize ever awarded by the Hoosier Lottery, a $314.3 million Powerball prize.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Phred

Burbank, CA

#2 Sep 10, 2007
I have a question: Can a lottery jackpot winner remain anonymous, or does the lottery require winners be identifed once they come forward? If it were me, I'd want to remain as anonymous as possible to prevent all the weirdos from coming after me for handouts, or worse. It'll never happen, of course, but I was just curious.
taz

AOL

#3 Sep 10, 2007
They are liable for the City of Indianapolis Income Tax since the money was 'earned' in Indianapolis.
Tony

Duncan, OK

#4 Sep 10, 2007
Nice reporting. No interview? No asking why they picked hose numbers? You learned what cities they live in...way to ask the tough question.
Carmel Resident

Arcanum, OH

#6 Sep 10, 2007
Use it wisely. It doesn't define who you are!
Butlerguy

Noblesville, IN

#7 Sep 10, 2007
Hey, I think they are my cousins!!
Concerned Citizen

Columbus, IN

#8 Sep 10, 2007
only if they lived in delaware
Phred wrote:
I have a question: Can a lottery jackpot winner remain anonymous, or does the lottery require winners be identifed once they come forward? If it were me, I'd want to remain as anonymous as possible to prevent all the weirdos from coming after me for handouts, or worse. It'll never happen, of course, but I was just curious.
noway

United States

#9 Sep 10, 2007
what!!!!!!!!!! ohio?
TDH

Carmel, IN

#10 Sep 10, 2007
Phred wrote:
I believe the back of the tickets state they can use your picture and name for publicity. Cool that father and son won.
Bob

Duncan, OK

#11 Sep 10, 2007
Phred wrote:
Publicity is a requirement of winning. Cashing in your ticket means you give them permission to use your name & face for marketing.
Loving husband

Bridgeport, WV

#13 Sep 10, 2007
I won MY lottery when I met my wife. (Love you nuggle bunny)
Northern exposure

Mountville, PA

#14 Sep 10, 2007
Tony wrote:
Nice reporting. No interview? No asking why they picked hose numbers? You learned what cities they live in...way to ask the tough question.
The press conference was held just one hour ago. This is a first-read story to get something out on the web early. I will bet there will be more information as time passes. If you knew anything about the newspaper business, you wouldn't be so quick to make snide comments.

“Faith is doubt.”

Since: Apr 07

Indianapolis

#15 Sep 10, 2007
Phred wrote:
Nope, you can not remain anonymous. It states clearly on the back of the ticket that they can use your likeness and name.

Of course, one group of winners created a trust. They got away without revealing their names. Of course, that means they have limited access to the monies, but it does mean you have income for life.

“Faith is doubt.”

Since: Apr 07

Indianapolis

#16 Sep 10, 2007
I knew someone from Ohio would win. I say that we shouldn't let anyone buy winning tickets from Richmond any more. All of their winners are from Ohio.
The Jerk Store

Newark, OH

#19 Sep 10, 2007
Phred wrote:
I wondered the same thing. No way would I want the whole world knowing that I won that much money.
Oh Please

Brownsburg, IN

#20 Sep 10, 2007
Ohio, eh? Stupid outsourcing...
indygal

Indianapolis, IN

#21 Sep 10, 2007
I think indiana is one of the states that they have no control over staying anonymous. I agree i wouldn't want people to know.
Phred wrote:
Maxx

Pineville, LA

#22 Sep 10, 2007
People from Ohio won with tickets purchased in Indiana. It figures.
Right

Indianapolis, IN

#23 Sep 10, 2007
A winner can remain anonymous by setting up a trust and having the trustee or attorney collect the proceeds for the trust.

Since: Feb 07

Indianapolis, IN

#25 Sep 10, 2007
I hope her first stop is a clothing store and a fashion makeover! Good luck and have fun shopping and shopping and shopping! ENJOY!
Right

Indianapolis, IN

#26 Sep 10, 2007
And the folks were kept away from the news media as much as possible, as they should be.

No one has a right to know everything they WANT to know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Riverside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Mike Turner ought to thank Fuyao" 5 hr Not a Fan of Leon... 2
People Are Saying... 10 hr Go Blue Forever 24
Chris Simon 12 hr Curious 1
"Beck can cause Trump to lose this election!" 12 hr Leon Harrison 1
SUH Dude 16 hr NoWay 2
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Sat Hipocrit 20,505
"Amish" heaters and EdenPURE heaters--Watch OUT! (Dec '08) Sat Eddie 576

Riverside Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Riverside Mortgages