2 killed as car rips in half

2 killed as car rips in half

There are 36 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 29, 2007, titled 2 killed as car rips in half. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

One moment, the residential street in west suburban Riverside was quiet. The next, the terrible din of twisting metal filled the night air and shook nearby homes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
in my eyes

Melrose Park, IL

#23 Jan 30, 2007
I also agree with just another one, although sometime as a parent we also try to give the best to our children, and want give them toys that our parents never gave us, we can't judge the parents for our childrens actions.and just to let you all know.
The Driver She is a very responsible person making a mistake by driving fast and having a tradgic result doesn't mean she is bad or wild if you would know her she sweet and very nice person and as teenagers we all make mistake in different ways, also people don't realize that cars now in day are made easy to break in half then back in the days and to top it off they add speed to them whos also at fault??? i think together we should pray for her recovery of Mitchelle, her family, her friends that passed, and thier family and friends.
wilton road warrior

Joliet, IL

#24 Jan 30, 2007
It only takes a couple seconds with a car to put yourself in an extremely dangerous situation as these kids did. I still remember my friend Geoff Gunnar (from Riverside) who died by a stupid act of a sophmore friend in a similar situation, hit a guardrail getting off the highway and Geoff was dead hours a few hourslater, 14 years old. I still think about him and this was back in 1973. Another unfortunate part is that these kids and many others will be haunted by this for the rest of their lives. Hopefully they become advocates against reckless driving and they can save others from their mistakes.
selena cicero IL

Chicago, IL

#25 Jan 30, 2007
ok will when i heard about it i was heartbroken yesterday i couldn't sleep at all.i had these kids on my mind all night,thinking to myself what if that had happen to me or my friends( makes u think twice)...i never knew adam or stan...but i have friends who did. and its hard to see some of them going through this/ and other people that were close to them. yea its sucks, they seem like such good kids. but we all know there in a better place watching the ones they care the most. i want to go to the wake.but i feel like i have no right in going cuz i never knew them..i believe it was there fault at all. if the passengers reads this....all i have to say...ur one lucky guy...and god kept u on this earth to do good, it wasn't u time cuz he needs u to stay and help us.
Remember that.
-Selena
selena cicero IL

Chicago, IL

#26 Jan 30, 2007
wasn't there fault i meant*****
Bob IL

Atlanta, GA

#27 Jan 31, 2007
What a poor thing to hear.
Moe

Naperville, IL

#28 Jan 31, 2007
Adam and Stan R.I.P
Whatever happened happened. Lets not talk about how aggressive the driver was and her mistakes but concentrate more on learning from them. Most of us here would've gone the same speed with friends in the car. It was there time to go and Michelle isn't the one to blame. They chose to get in the car knowing what there getting themselves into and all I can say is it was there time to go. So lets not say,"If she didn't speed then they would still be alive." Not true! Michelle I wish you the best.
Melgoza

Cicero, IL

#29 Jan 31, 2007
I am a parent of 4. My two oldest Bryan and Bradley are students at Morton West and friends of Adam & Stan. When I heard the news it suddenly came to me "what would it happen if they were my kids" What I did was pray for them. Let them rest in peace, and pray for their souls and wish that they are next to God keeping and sending signals to the rest of the teenagers and their friends to think what happen when they are behind a wheel.
May they rest in peace and keep them and their families and friends in your prayers tonight and always.
selena cicero IL

Chicago, IL

#30 Jan 31, 2007
Moe wrote:
Adam and Stan R.I.P
Whatever happened happened. Lets not talk about how aggressive the driver was and her mistakes but concentrate more on learning from them. Most of us here would've gone the same speed with friends in the car. It was there time to go and Michelle isn't the one to blame. They chose to get in the car knowing what there getting themselves into and all I can say is it was there time to go. So lets not say,"If she didn't speed then they would still be alive." Not true! Michelle I wish you the best.
ur right it wasn't her fault at all.noones fault.i hope she gets better!
ruby

Norwich, UK

#31 Feb 2, 2007
i don't even know them, but i'm really sorry that they're gone. all this stuff on here is so sad. you all have my respects. R.I.P
xx bye xx
unknown456

United States

#33 Feb 3, 2007
i knew stan and he was a great funny guy to be around and he was a good friend of mine. i really miss him and he has been in my thoughts all week long. it must be a sign from him telling me something but i don't know what. the last i saw hi was at my friends house but thats the last time i ever saw him which makes it even worse.he loved cars and a lot of his friends. R.I.P Stanley and Adam we really miss you.
A MOM

AOL

#34 Feb 7, 2007
TO ALL THE SMART ASS PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO ONLY CARE ABOUT THEMSELVES:
ADAM AND STAN WERE REAL GOOD FRIENDS OF MY DAUGHTERS. THEY WERE FUN LOVING KIDS AND WOULD DO ANYTHING FOR ANYBODY. ITS A SHAME THAT THERE LIVES WERE TAKING AWAY SO YOUNG. YES, KIDS MAKE STUPID CHOICES BUT IT WASN'T THERE CHOICE TO HAVE THERE LIFE TAKEN FROM THEM. REMEMBER WE WERE ALL YOUNG ONCE SO WE MUST BE THE LUCKY ONES WHO MADE IT THROUGH LIFE. DONT EVER DOWNRATE ANYBODY BECAUSE YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR KIDS MIGHT DO. AND REMEMBER ONE THING, YOU DONT KNOW WHAT GOD HAS IN STORE FOR YOU. STAN AND ADAM, YOU WERE LIKE MY TWO SONS. I LOVE AND MISS YOU BOTH SO MUCH TILL THE DAY WE MEET AGAIN.
some one who cares

AOL

#35 Feb 16, 2007
SRT-4 Owner wrote:
That car should not have been in the hands of a 17 year old person. During the years it was made (03-05) it was the second fastest car that Dodge made, trumped only by a Dodge Viper.
It is not an easy car to drive and if driven by an inexperienced person can lead to some bad things happening.... this wreck being the extreme.
This is not the fault of the police. The police do not prevent this type of situation... they react to its consequences or to issues that may cause this situation. Should we have a policeperson on every street corner 24x7? What good would that do... they might get to the wreck site a little quicker though, eh?
It is the fault of the driver for making a poor decision and the parents of the driver for letting this child have a very dangerous toy.
Who in their right mind would think that it is appropriate to give a 240+ horsepower heavily turbo-charged Dodge Neon to a child?!
It is a tragedy, an avoidable tragedy. This situation should never have happened. Lack of experience and four kids goofing aroun is a bad combination. Cleanly tearing a car in half like that would require speeds in excess of 80 MPH. And htis car can hit those speeds in around 8 seconds, perhaps less.
Sad, very sad. It is sad that an extreme had to occur in order to teach a lesson. My thoughts go out to those so devistatingly impacted by this tragic situatoin.
i am with you all the way dont by kids fast cars.now look to familys are suffing and the driver walks away.
some one who cares

AOL

#36 Feb 16, 2007
A MOM wrote:
TO ALL THE SMART ASS PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO ONLY CARE ABOUT THEMSELVES:
ADAM AND STAN WERE REAL GOOD FRIENDS OF MY DAUGHTERS. THEY WERE FUN LOVING KIDS AND WOULD DO ANYTHING FOR ANYBODY. ITS A SHAME THAT THERE LIVES WERE TAKING AWAY SO YOUNG. YES, KIDS MAKE STUPID CHOICES BUT IT WASN'T THERE CHOICE TO HAVE THERE LIFE TAKEN FROM THEM. REMEMBER WE WERE ALL YOUNG ONCE SO WE MUST BE THE LUCKY ONES WHO MADE IT THROUGH LIFE. DONT EVER DOWNRATE ANYBODY BECAUSE YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR KIDS MIGHT DO. AND REMEMBER ONE THING, YOU DONT KNOW WHAT GOD HAS IN STORE FOR YOU. STAN AND ADAM, YOU WERE LIKE MY TWO SONS. I LOVE AND MISS YOU BOTH SO MUCH TILL THE DAY WE MEET AGAIN.
yes your right the 2 boys did not ask to die. and the driver made a wrong choice. we can not change that but the driver needs to know as a result of her action two lifes are gone two familys are riped apart as for one mother she only had one son and now because of a wrong choice made he is gone. if every kid thinks that you can make a wrong choice and always get away with it then how are the kids going to ever learn the laws have to get stronger i belive she should not be able to drive tell she is 21 and be charged with something to show other kids the law is not playing any more. my heart gose out to the familys of stan and adam.
samuel torres

United States

#37 Feb 25, 2007
i was in the car. the person who walked out....
i love them so much :(
A mom

United States

#38 Feb 28, 2007
samuel torres wrote:
i was in the car. the person who walked out....
i love them so much :(
I'm so sorry you are in such pain. Although it will be hard so soon after the accident, try to focus on the wonderful times you had with your friends instead of just the terrible accident. Please know that others are still very much thinking of you and your friends' loved ones. We continue to pray for you and for them. Those of us who have been through loss and grieving know how difficult it is. Take good care...
cermak pool

Kansas City, MO

#39 Feb 23, 2009
ya we lost a friend there 20 years ago
tree
freak accident
same with the run

what amazes me is the sutpidity of the secretary of state
they refuse to require applicants provide a passport to get a license there
oh well might as well move out of sanctuary city area anyway
those property values are way outta line

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Riverside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Russians descendants of Serbs 4 hr Serb 2
lyons, il politics (Mar '07) 10 hr Times Up 10,599
Gone but not forgotten (May '09) 13 hr alan 746
What Is The Story? Mon barking up 3
Beyond 2018 Jan 14 just another 14
Ex chief police of summit illinois Jan 14 For The Record 4
Melrose Park Businesses: We will never spend mo... (Feb '12) Jan 13 Lowest of them All 20

Riverside Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Riverside Mortgages